A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The importance of university and higher education? - Page 2

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I going to apologies first off and I' m not offended if you don't continue reading because this post is a rant on university education, more specifically university professors. I going dub my professor as 'professor x' X is easily one of the worst professors I've ever had. He's a clear example of the type of tenured ancient dinosaur prof that shouldn't be allowed to teach anymore. You will learn nothing from this class and will only go because you get attendance points and his random bizarre comments are entertaining, but not because he's funny, but because he's a complete nut case. "Statistics is like giving a kid 14 bicycles! You can't ride 14 bicycles!!" Huh? Exactly. "I find the brain fascinating, how they can do those things to make you think those things" If only x had a brain left. At the end of each lecture, you'll still wonder what you're supposed to be learning about. I'm disappointed at the university for charging us so much money to sit in front of a lunatic rambling on about his prostate problems and completely random often shocking comments about nothing. He started the semester saying that statistics is the new world revolution and that all our other professors are so terrified of this "world explosion" that they build shields around themselves to protect themselves from this tidal wave. He said he was going to train us to handle and conquer this explosion. Well he didn't and in the end you'll walk away with little knowledge of statistics besides what you have to teach yourself from the really terrible book.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 42yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
first the obvious: it validates you institutionally
in my own experience it gave my thoughts some structure. throughout the essays, paperworks, exams, researches you gain some cognitive method (academic that is!) in treating informations and how u stick em' up together in order to get an explenation, an answer...
now the academic part may undergo some criticism as in offering an impersonal intellectual mold, but in the end it's all up to you and how you introduce the personal within the impersonal. take for example surrealism, they made you look at reality through a looking glass yet they remained faithful to estheticism.
other than this there are some professors you cannot miss out on.
bottom line you become a solid ground on which u can either edify madness either sanity, whatever that is.

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
it validates you institutionally

I think that about sums up the whole idea of college these days. Anything you genuinely learn, you'll learn on your own, and the rest will be training to make you more of a bureaucratic drone.

And to Cryptic: I had a very similar experience with a psychology professor. I must have been the only person there who actually wanted to learn about psychology. To my chagrin the class was catered to people who just wanted to get a grade (which I figure comprises about 95% of college students.)

"The truth will set you on fire"
The importance of university and higher education? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy