Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Advice for the youth...

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Advice for the youth...
If you could give just one piece of advice to young people, what would it be? (assuming there may be a number of replies, if someone else posts your first choice, perhaps give your second...)

For me, I would say stick with what sounds logical... This might mean, if you're around someone taking drugs, and they ask if you want some, you might think... "Well, this is illegal, I could get in trouble..." or "I compete (in a sport), and this would show up in a drug test..." or "I've heard that even small amounts can do long-lasting irreversible damage (and worse in larger amounts)...

After this kind of logical reasoning, you would decide what is best. You just need to make sure your decisions stick with what sounds most logical... (I can see where that would have helped me in the past)

"There is no negative one..."
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Since im only 16, technically i am,of course, still a young-un.but for those that are younger and/or stupider than me,i can give a little advice

Dont throw around the words "i Love you" as if they were a toy.you can really hurt someone doing that.also know the fricken difference between love and lust.if you have only been dating for a couple months,then you are not in love.im not going to say that teenagers cant fall in love or some stupid cliche like that.but they just need to know the difference

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Dont spread Islam. Please.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 31yrs • M •
BullSoft is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Oblivion is sixteen, as am I.

I agree with Black Gold. I would say, stick to logical decisions, but don't let it get in the way with gaining knowledge.

For instance, I have tried Marijuana, only to see what it's users see. The logic in my decision was that there were no long term effects or bad effects discovered yet. I see that one use wasn't going to hurt me any more than one day at a school full of babbling idiots called teachers. Brain wash...

Sorry, I drifted from the subject.

"www.Bullfrog.110mb.com"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that allimar is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would have to say look at different perspectives. Understand different types of thought. Look at the big picture first, then yourself.
Every year, I watch these two videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amy8I0Y5FLY

The wisdom contained in these two videos is astonishing. We are all humans; we are all one, look out for each other, for each other is all we really have.

"The more you learn, the less you know."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think this is a great thread, because I think that talking to younger kids and children in a positive and comforting way seems to be a much more effective approach. Tell them that all the secrets of the universe are out there, and the only thing you have to do, is ask questions- and learn to understand the answers. - They'll get that one on the way home ;D lol

maybe more later. sleepy time now.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Just because the majority does it, doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do, follow your own moral compass and you won't regret your actions (well not for that reason anyway, you're still going to do all kinds of wonderfully stupid things, but it will be rare that you're the first to make any particular mistake).

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 32yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Arcanum is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hmm...
How about- Listen to your mom!

Or- Whatever you do, the sex can wait.
XD

"Some men are wise. Others are otherwise."
 31yrs • M •
BullSoft is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Arcanum, that was an ignorant babble... everybody is different.
What if they don't have a mom?
What if their mom is not the responsible type?
Etc...

I would say, make your suggestions or advice be universal to all, or most of youth that can read this.

"www.Bullfrog.110mb.com"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Love yourself as much as you can, and then love others more.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What would my advice be to the youth of today?
I think maybe that life goes past in the blink of an eye and you should experience the world as much as you can. But at the same time I would say it is important to learn empathy. Empathy helps you appreciate your own life through other peoples' eyes and experiences. No matter how bad things seem to get I can guarantee someone is always worse off. So I say count your blessings and communicate positively with everyone you meet, because there may be a reason they are in your life or you are in their life at that moment in time.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 32yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Arcanum is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
*sigh* Bullsoft, being quick to accuse never gets anything done. I can only say this. Don't let your opinions be clouded by assumption.
By the way, I think you didn't get it, but I was being sarcastic on my previous post.

"Some men are wise. Others are otherwise."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:

but I was being sarcastic on my previous post.

arcanum, I'm not trying to directly calling you out or anything. But, as you may or may not know, it's fairly difficult to portray any sort of context, namely sarcasm, unless mentioned in the post itself. It was just a misunderstand on both parts. I have no doubt bullsoft can understand that as well.

I like sorceress's response because it really seems she speaks with sincere experience to what she is suggesting.

I would also lean into mentioning a high maintenance of positivity and hope even in the worst of situations. Urging them to pick out all the things they have to be happy for, as Sorceress had said.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The main thing you need to realize is that despite anything anyone in the world tells you you should do with your life or what life is all about, it is your life and yours alone. At the end of the day your life was given to you and you alone, and it is entirely up to you to live it.

Therefore you need to search for your very own meaning in life and find what it is that most makes you happy. Once you have found it, you need to pursue it with all the passion and energy of an entire nation. Let nothing hold you back.

But at the same time, you need to be aware that oneday you will look in the mirror and your conscience will be looking back at you. So do what makes you happy- but never hurt others doing it. Never sell out, stray from your moral compass or lose your integrity, as things like integrity virtue and honor are like your virginity. Once you've lost them you can never get them back.

Most of all, understand that life is a gift. And you should appreciate every moment of it and live it to its fullest. Once you're dead you're dead.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Chained I really like that response.=)

My little tid bit would read something like this, as your growing up its very easy not to keep a level head and to become all sorts of things from extremely cocky, angry, self-centered, ignorant, ect ... just to keep these things in check when your younger because these qualities that you learn when your younger tend to be the toughest to get rid of when your older and the least attractive from an outsiders stand point.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
Advice for the youth...
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy