Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Enherit Goodness Of Mankind

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I've noticed that there is a key difference in peoples views on the world. Not THE key but A key.

Some people belive that humans are naturally good. Others dont.

Your take? Provide evidence please.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not so sure it's a question of good and evil. Perhaps it is that humans are survivalists, and as such become selfish when they feel it is in their best interest to do so. By the same token, others are driven toward apathy and develop selflessness... both ways can be dangerous and harmful to others under various circumstances.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I came up with a theory recently where 'evils' were things that are bad for you, like smoking or poor diet.
I guess the 'evil-doers' would be the people who push these things onto other people.
In contrast, the 'good' would assist people away from such 'evils'.

I'm not sure what things are actually 'evil'... But am more confident something like bringing sickness or pain would be...

You may also sometimes consider the act of sacrifice, which can complicate things...

The desire to be good would be stronger with those closer or more important to you, and sometimes just to prove a point, you may inflict 'evil' on those more detached.

Your thoughts?

"There is no negative one..."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zachf is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my english class we spent a some time on this question. The conclusion that i drew was that we do things out of desire and want. That are entire lifes we walk around looking for something one moment it could be food the next it could be the answer to the nature of man.

One can also include the pursuit of physical objects, people, love ... ect. I think this idea is born out of survival and selflessness is also born out of the same instinct.

We discussed many different theory's and this is the one i thought held a lot of truth.

Some of the other ones that i recall is the belief that we are not good nor evil but we live closest to the morals that we have adapted are selfs to.

And lastly that we live are lifes in attempts to make things better for everyone which sounds crazy at first but if looked at it is actually very possible as well.

I think that all three of them hold some truth but honestly it is a very tuff question to answer. I also think a lot of the good and evil is relative to who views it as good and who views it as evil and weeding those situation out in order to draw a non-bias conclusion.

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his Planets in chime, Marketh the going of Time. -Edward Fitzgerald"
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CrypticTruth is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe that people are not nor evil or good but they are a blank slate at birth. Then the experiences one under goes determines their out come. So there are major factors that play key roles such as family, finances, and environment. Each will have its own impact but all together they will make up if a person becomes evil or good.

""Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth" -oscar wilde"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I just think it is really hard sometimes to define good and evil because everybody's personal interpretations are so different as are different cultural interpretations. You can see that by how complicated systems of Law and order can get,; policing alone when there are such fine lines between what constitutes an illegal activity or not let alone individual morals.

As for inherited goodness. Mainly I think it is down to environmental learning.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy