Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Intelectual Conversation VS Intelectual Masterbation

User Thread
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

|
"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that doom123 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i masturbate a lot. like for the sake of an example, if i were to "correct" you on your thread title, and say that it is masturbation instead of masterbation. lol sorry.

i understand exactly what you are saying man. i often feel like im in a contest when posting. its my fault though. i get intimidated easily with big words over the internet.

"if life has no point whats the point in talking about it?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That old thread cracks me up now. I've been trying not to make assumptions, but it's difficult for me still.

It's tough to empathize with computer text, but on a forum such as this it is far more important to "discover, dispute and acquiesce truth." If everyone did this and only this, I imagine verbal masturbation going virtually extinct.

I'd say, if anyone feels the need to work out emotional issues with another member, keep it in PMs(totally redundant statement). Everything a person posts should be backed up with solid evidence and/or logic. Think about each statement all the way through and if you don't feel confident in your ability to do so then simply say so. No one should be criticized or ostracized for seeking information.

It's like my friend use to tell me "what you don't know could fill a warehouse." This is true for everyone, so let others help fill your warehouse and don't feel bad about it for an instant.

On a personal note:

There is such a huge wealth of knowledge(most of it useful) on CaptainCynic, it's a shame no one seems to be in awe of it as I am... and it's just a fucking website. A tiny blip on the seemingly endless interweb. Simply reading about people's perspectives on life has ultimately changed the course of mine. If that isn't amazing, I don't know what is.

Oh yea, and I love to talk to people, but they all seem to hate me here since I'm a scary Admin. *Halloween noises*

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The day before you posted this thread AW, I was thinking the same thing and wondering what thread to discuss my concerns in.

I totally agree that one of the things making CC less fun is people who see the internet as one big virtual pissing contest.

Its so rampant on other sites that I come here to get away from it.

I will admit I probably am guilty of this at times too, but I at least try to be open minded, and I try to communicate to each person I talk to in threads. And my main motivation in coming here is to learn about myself and the world.

Like Wyote says, there is so much cool information on here. And its a great shame its such a small part of the internet, and most people are off on other sites because those sites stroke their egos better than CC does.

The internet is flooded with vanity sites and people's little piece of cyberspace which makes them feel famous.

"Look at me! Look at me! Here's a picture of me with my top off! And I can call people retarded to come across as intellectual, and accuse people of living in their Mom's basement to feel better about myself!"

But on CC, the way I look or how much money I make or wether Im a member of mensa is not what gives me a sense of belonging. Its wether I can talk to other members as equals and take what they have to say onboard, and add something to the discussion which might actually make sense and help them.

And after a couple of years here Im starting to be able to tell when new members dont fit in and wont last long.

They tend to be more about themselves and their achievements and trying hard to sound intellectual. And they dont really have any desire to learn anything or to grow as people- only to tell you their narrow minded opinions on everything. Its all about their ego and nothing else. They talk to you and not with you.

Because the internet gives everyone a voice it has become so popular. Everyone gets to have their say, to talk about themselves, to have an audience, to be listened to.

But if that's all people want, then they should just stick to MySpace. And if they feel the need for shallow minded debate and petty name-calling as a means to get their point across- then they should go to the comments section on YouTube.

I really like not having to deal with people like that when I come here, and Ive gotten to really like the main members who post here regularly. I respect their opinions and thoughts.

So any new member who reads this thread... please be aware that most people who come here regularly, come here with open minds and the ability to communicate on an equal level. And in order to fit in you should also try to do the same.

Communicate. Don't pontificate.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy