Life is good once you know how to master the enigma, which is known as the Internet. - pepeje2k1
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Iraq War - for or against

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'm not a war-lover and I'm no pacifist either.

To analyse a war; you need to know why its being done. For Iraq; I could see that its most likely to do with the big oil reserves it sits atop. It could be as a statement to the arab world that the US is still daddy. It could be that terrorists or nuclear bombs were allied or associated with Saddam Hussein, respectively. Who, in truth knows, beyond educated speculation?

And thats why, in principle, I'm not against the Iraq war. The world has played this many times before. I'll use the example of the Roman Empire. Here, especially BC, ordinary citizens were aware that there empire was expanding day by day and yet, in the most part didn't mind so long as they got their gladiatir games to look forward to, etc. If you analyse just this information its easy to accuse the general people of being ignorant whilst their leaders were spreading tyranny. But that's a small picture.

Although America is not as explicit, it isn't a million miles away from the way it conducts itself in letting the world know its a superpower.

Being British allows me to see the effect of allying with America and Europe. And whilst Europeans differ in political ideologies, the west in general, and its idea of capitalism spreading, isn't so different. Yet, Europe is forming an alliance; and America needs to hold its own. And this is where I go back to the Romans.

The Romans built roads, had technology, introduced ways of keeping food; if bathing; of building structures. Whilst the British were busy poodling around with stones and sticks; the Roman's civilised the country; quickly and today things are more advnaced and people live longer because of it.

That's why I'm not so against America entering an illegal war; in the long sight building up powers is more in the interests of those that wish to live longer. Also only a fool gives up the ghost when it starts to be challenged by forming allegiences. It fights knowing that money makes the world go round.

Why I disagree with the Iraq war though is because it was a military mistake. It will take years to get this country back to stability. The people are facing civil war. Troops are dying and its a battle that will not end quickly. Most military chiefs claim it stupid and a disaster. That isn't the sort of war enyone should enter because it only benefits the very rich. America has shamed itself here - and so has Britain.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy