Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

excessive much?

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
excessive much?
I've had a thought juggling in my head for a few minutes and I was wondering...

Did God completely give up on mankind when eve disobeyed 'him' by eating the apple? Couldn't God have taught them what was right or let them redeem themselves, instead of disowning them both without question?

To me, if you create something like temptation, and allow two consciously aware beings to explore that, but tell them not to do something, of course temptation is going to win because it's an experience is completely foreign to them. I actually commend eve for doing what she did, because despite knowing God's all mighty power and potential wrath, she dove into the unknown and let go of fear and did what she wanted, and discovered wisdom as a result.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
While Eve can be seen as commendable, she can also be seen as really insolent and ungrateful by going against the one who gave her life, love, and happiness and stupid for daring to challenge the most powerful being's order.

God must have created that temptation on purpose. He knew Eve would do that (since he knows everything), so it's all in his plan for whatever.

And if God gave up, why didn't he just destroy Adam and Eve? If he gave up, why send Jesus? Why bother letting the rest of mankind live? Why not just put us in hell directly? Isn't living a virtuous life as Jesus taught a redemption for that?

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ryuzaki is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How can a being that knows everything give up?

"Experience of personal reality verifies existence."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It really does beg the question, because like attolia said, if he already knows everything, why would he do such a thing to mankind?

I can definitely see why it would be bad as well, when he specifically said not to eat the fruit or you'll die, but if he didn't want that to happen he wouldn't have made temptation or a humans curiosity that would fall for it.

And if he already knew it would happen, why would he punish them and the rest of mankind to come?

44yrs • M •
Why not, instead of thinking what if, we discuss what the possible answers to your questions would imply?

34yrs • M •
I think it's kind of a tough love, really. I believe this is all a lesson for our mistake.

GOD: " you wanna know all the knowledge of good and evil? Fine, here you go for the rest of you existence."

And when it's all over, you come before GOD with a question to you: " have you head enough? Have you learned your lesson?"

when you undoubtedly say yes - - truthfully, he allows you back into his loving arms and you can experience existence how it was intended to be.

31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
are you talking about when we die as individuals,or mankind as a whole?

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 34yrs • M •
quote:
are you talking about when we die as individuals,or mankind as a whole?

As individuals. As far as I know, you must confront GOD on your own, because it's your experience that is being judged, not anyone else's.

44yrs • M •
Why would any god teach a lesson to his creation when the foul up was on his/her hands?

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This can go into the whole discussion of why God created evil. He could have made us angels dwelling in Paradise, but instead he created beings that would sin and go against his orders. There's a wisdom behind this. It sounds like a trick question even. Maybe he's testing to see how close we can get to being angels while under worldly temptations? Dunno.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 34yrs • M •
quote:
Why would any god teach a lesson to his creation when the foul up was on his/her hands?

The only reason I can think of for that is going on what I know of this story. GOD informed adam and eve that they can eat any fruit in the garden except for the one on the tree of knowledge or they will be punished. And apparently they disobeyed that will... and they were punished. So I guess GOD though a lesson must be learned.

quote:
This can go into the whole discussion of why God created evil.

When I read this and thought about good and evil, laws of physics popped into my head. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, right? Maybe evil exists because good exists. It seems as though if only good existed, it would throw things off.. idk maybe.

quote:
but instead he created beings that would sin and go against his orders.

sorry to nit-pick, but it seems as though it should be- he created beings that could sin and go against his orders. Temptation to commit an evil act is a choice. Giving a conscious being a choice between two decisions with every single thing they do would make for a very interesting existence, seeing as though no two person's decisions are exactly the same. Maybe that's why GOD did it, cause there would be a choice. If there was only good, you wouldn't have free will because you would always have one decision about something.

Then again, I think I recall from ... Constantine..? - that the Devil and GOD made a wager to see if people would choose to sin if given the choice.. or something along those lines. And it looks as though GOD lost the bet

44yrs • M •
Maybe he's testing to see how close we can get to being angels while under worldly temptations?

Why would a creature that knows everything test?

He could have made us angels dwelling in Paradise, but instead he created beings that would sin and go against his orders.

I am pretty sure as the story goes, as I assume you are referring primarily to christian theology, that even angels sin.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, right? Maybe evil exists because good exists.

That law only accounts for transfers of energy. "Evil" and "good" are issues of morality and have no evidence of any physical property.

Temptation to commit an evil act is a choice. Giving a conscious being a choice between two decisions with every single thing they do would make for a very interesting existence,

Free choice is an illusion. Following the current theories of physics and psychology, all events that take place in the universe follow laws as does the human mind. Your choices are just the results of your genetics, conditioning, and current stimuli. The randomness is a result of our inability to predict its complex process. Though I am sure an entity such as God would be able to figure it out.

31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Oblivion is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
That law only accounts for transfers of energy. "Evil" and "good" are issues of morality and have no evidence of any physical property.

but maybe even God needs a balance.

i just had a thought.what if he wanted us to learn the lesson.period.he set up the scenario just for the hell of if.the only way i can think to explain it is by association:

there is a 2 yr old crawlin around the house.he sees a electrical outlet.he aproches it.the dad watchin him tells him not to do it,knowin that,unless he stops him physically,the kid will stick something in there.the kid gets shocked enough to scare the crap out of him,but not to hurt him too badly."yeah,that hur like hell didnt it?" asks the dad."you wont do that again will ya?".

i hope that makes some sense

"If You Aint Ammo, You Aint Shit."
 44yrs • M •
but maybe even God needs a balance.

It doesn't make sense to me how the Christian God, or any other for that matter of the alpha and omega description, would ever be capable of a balance. The god would be both sides to the same coin.

"yeah,that hur like hell didnt it?" asks the dad."you wont do that again will ya?".

I've been waiting for some one to mention this. The issue here is that it is often better for a creature to learn through experience than being told. However, this is human nature we are talking about which would also be something created by God, as I am to understand it.
In either case, what we are implying about God is he is closer to a child in a sand box lighting ants on fire than an all loving and understanding father and the gateway to "salvation".

34yrs • M •
quote:
It doesn't make sense to me how the Christian God, or any other for that matter of the alpha and omega description, would ever be capable of a balance. The god would be both sides to the same coin.

If God is the beginning and the end, why wouldn't he be capable of balance? And on that same note, of course he would be both sides to the same coin.

quote:
I've been waiting for some one to mention this. The issue here is that it is often better for a creature to learn through experience than being told.

If you didn't want something to happen, would you idly stand by and wait for someone to do it and then tell them you didn't want them to do that? Or would you tell them before it even happens?

GOD asked adam and eve to not eat from the tree of knowledge, he didn't want unnecessary complications. If GOD didn't tell them not to do it, they would have been none the wiser, and found out the hard way.

But the weird thing I just realized, is that if they were created into an existence of pure good, how would they have known what temptation is and even contemplate a decision that they know is right? Wouldn't they have to have a previous assumption that GOD may be wrong? But that doesn't make sense since at that time they didn't eat the fruit.

excessive much?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy