Great men are those who see that thoughts rule the world. - " Ralph Waldo Emerson"
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How did we start using time?

User Thread
 32yrs • F •
3QuEEn~3~BiTcH3 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i was with some friends a while back and we got into an argument about how time got started-- here it goes-- i think that time was started to organize *man's* day... you eat in the morning when you wake up, you eat around the middle of hte day, you eat before you go to bed, you go to work in the daylight, you sleep at night, etc... so yea.... no matter what ANYBODY says... YOUare ORGANIZED!! haha bitches!!

""Don't turn your back on your friends-- it's the best target!""
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 31yrs • M •
smoore528 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Well I'm not sure my History is fuzzy, If I'm wrong correct me. But I think the Egyptians invented it (Sundails). And Why we sleep at night is pretty self explanitory.

"An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep"
 31yrs • M •
psp999999 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
achely it was stick shadows and water clocks

"zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................."
 63yrs • M •
Tommyc is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
YOu are all wrong just ask AL FOREST GORE HE invented almost everthing! HE IS A SMART MAN, JUST ASK HIM!

"freedom at any cost lets win the war"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that doom123 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well i think hes asking how we started using time, not who created it.
i think concepts of time were used by many prehistoric animals. Mating season is a "time" along with different times to eat. i personally think time is an absolute irrelevant spectrum. there could be an infinite amount of time within just one of our "seconds" its all based on how its percieved from birth. 5 minutes could feel like 50 years if thats also the adverage rate in which everything else acts around you. time is what happends before you die. hahah

"if life has no point whats the point in talking about it?"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time is just a name man gives an insubstantial concept that rlates to change. Changing petterns of night and day, weeks, months, years etc. etc. And the change that gradually occurs to any living thing, including the internal rythms, the heart beat that ticks away like an internal clock, the dripping of water, sand trickling through your fingers.

Of course it was helpful for ancient peoples to mark the passing of time and the rythms of the seasons, because of agricultural necessity. When to plant and when to reap etc. And ancient kings (like the Egyptian pharoes or the Dynsasties of oriental emperors) liked to be remembered as those leaders who affected change in their lifetime. So others had to be able to see When their lifetime was compared to those that came after. They wanted people to remember who they'd conquered and stuff.

And then of course all sorts of ingenious inventions were conjured up by intelligent people to mark the passing of time. Sundials, moondials, astronomy and astrology! (the big one)
sand clocks, water clocks and then of course modern clocks with pendulums and escapement with cogs and motors.

Sailors needed vary accurate time peices or they would get lost at sea, after all you can only use the stars at night to navigate, during the day you have to know what the time is so you can tell which direction at what time is north, to follow the compas accurately. I don't know how much you could depend on the sun, especially when there are storms and you can't see it!

Hope this helps.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 40yrs • M •
Sammuel is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Time is a concept man has always had to face, since we live on a linear timeline. It's elementary.
Speaking of which, someone asked me about time travel recently. Here's the only way time travel makes any sense:
You can't travel into the future. If you travel into the past, your present and the future dissapear completely. No one dies, they just cease to exist. The best explanation for this is in the book Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card.

"Our firmest convictions are apt to be the most suspect."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
To my knowlede -

Which is limited as this medium...

Time was first recorded by women...

Yes Women were the first recorded Mathmaticians...!

Bones were found near the bodies and homes of the ancient dead with hatch marks on them correlating to two things...

The lunar cycle

The Menstral cycle.

Which both correlate in approximately 28 days...

Which the amount of time the moon takes to travel its course around the Earth...

To control population in a terribly dangerous time of Hunting and Gathering, women began to make sure they kept their respective families, of a number that was sustainable by their chosen mates...

Sustainability seems a Female concept... which makes a lot of commonly ascribed to sense.

A Week is 7 days... a month is 4 weeks, a month should be 28 days....!

The male dominated society that developed based the calendar on the Sun... a male archetype in the minds of the Gregorians... (we still use a Gregorian calander)

Many societies use a combination of Solar and Lunar calanders...

Jewish ones like my Grandfathers' still do.

If we maitained a calander today of 28 days... we would have to leave a day off every four years instead of adding one ...

One by product of this would be that if you were born on a tuesday, your birthday celebration would always fall on a tuesday...

Cool huh?

But male dominated societies are flawed in so many ways that this is acceptable loss to those that know and understand it.

If we suggested the change of the calendar, you would probally hear a huge out-cry of BLASPHEMEY !!! BLASPHEMEY !!!

So, does that mean that Man thinks he should be God?

Or that Man thinks that Woman should not be?

Or that if neither be God? At least let's , (by any means necessary ) NOT FOCUS ON WOMEN ----EVER!----

The real question is "What is the fallout of all this ignoring of over half the population of the Earth?

Besides that "explanation" -

The first mechanized clocks with intervals of 60 seconds and minutes were actually given to Western Civilization by Middle Eastern and Far Eastern Society... like algebra and the schools that Newton studied at were given by the Moors and the Turks..

The "timepieces" were literally childrens' toys!!!

Yes they were.

Find it in your travels through study, I did.

Those that passed it on to Western Explorers were actually surprised at their great interest in the devices, as they saw it a Ludicrous that one would attempt to "...CLOCK THE HEAVENS."

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy