The more I learn about the world, the more I become dissatisfied with it. - Attolia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Legacy of Kain series.

User Thread
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Legacy of Kain series.
Regarding my favorite game ever, I would have to say the Legacy of Kain series is by far my first choice.

This series of games began in about 1996 over a decade ago, back on the fist playstation. (Though it has also always been released on PC)

Years have gone by and the next generation in games has come out- and yet I still feel the original game is my favorite game of all time, purely from a sentimental point of view.

And the games themselves, while now looking slightly dated, have always been far ahead of their time. (Even the second ever game. Soul Reaver - still on the very first playstation- has, in my view, the BEST ever intro to a game. Even today.)

But the reason I love this series so much is that it was originally aimed at an adult audience; it had a complex storyline that made you think, in depth characters that made you feel, and was one of the very first games to introduce professional actors to do deep characterizations and cutscenes.

The plot was one of the most complex I have ever played and the use of time travel and temporal paradoxes, the twists and turns and in depth storylines would always keep me on the edge of my seat- and going over the revelations of the game I just played until I got the next installment for the answers I so wanted.

As many on this site know Im a huge vampire fan, and the main character, being a vampire, is no coincidence to me instantly falling in love with that world.

To play a vampire. Play an in depth vampire. And to play an anti hero for once was so refreshing.

You may all love your square jawed, shiny clean heroes, who seem impervious to pain no matter how much is dished out to them. And no matter how stupid they are, or how bad a situation they get into... you know they will ALWAYS prevail.

But to me, it was just such a relief to finally play someone who wasn't out to save the world. Wasn't in it for any altruistic reason and wasn't a complete black and white character. And who was not always destined to come out victorious.

Anyway. There is so much more I could say here about the game but I won't go on. I am actually sad I cannot do the game justice with my introduction to it.

I have added the main FMVs for all the games since they dont really contain spoilers. With a plot that changes so often due to temporal paradoxes, whatever you see will be different five minutes later.

I wish there were more clips I could post to show the complexity of the dialogue and just how much they have put into the storyline as opposed to just plain hack n' slash with no real reason behind it.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 42yrs • M •
Sadly I couldnt find any clips of the original Blood Omen that werent really dark.

I would suggest when watching the original game clips to adjust your gamma or brightnes on your PC.

Oh the memories....
This video appears to have been removed

42yrs • M •
Part two.

Kain has been murdered and has made a deal to come back and wreak revenge on his killers.

[  Edited by Chained Wings at   ]
 42yrs • M •
The story takes a large jump in the next game, Soul Reaver.

It is mostly from the point of view of Raziel, Kain's most trusted lieutenant, now a bitter enemy of Kain.

(still my favorite cut scene in any game ever.)

42yrs • M •
Soul Reaver 2.

42yrs • M •
Soul Reaver intro (part 2)

42yrs • M •
Blood Omen 2

This focuses purely on Kain again.

42yrs • M •
Blood Omen 2 (part2)

42yrs • M •
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
The final in the series so far. There are rumours they will not continue the series. I am so devastated. I need to play Kain more.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The Original Blood Omen was so bad ass. I remember my friend first telling me about it, well before the series became so popular. We both played every single game after that always hoping it would rival the original... and though the sequels were fun, they never quite stacked up to the original. I will say however, that Defiance did come close and I'm still sad they stopped making them.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
Legacy of Kain series.
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy