Contempt, prior to complete investigation, enslaves men to ignorance. - Dr. John Whitman Ray
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do women lie?

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that SupermanGom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Why do women lie?
My girlfriend cheated on me and lied about it. My Mother lied about what led up to her divorce. In fact my Sister lied to me about her affair with my cousin. Man I just need to know, why do women lie? Please for the sake of my sanity help me out!!!

"Destiny is only destiny when we believe in destiny."
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that neuterdbynature is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Its a mechanism of defense in order to not hurt others. Well actually to not hurt ourselfs. It's not just women guys do it too. People tell themselves they lie to protect the people around them when infact they are just protecting them selves.

The women in your life probably lied so that you would not think less of them. They did not want to get hurt by the words that would come out of your mouth when the truth was told.

I mean seriously, think about the reasons you lie. Place all the B.S. about protecting others feelings to the side and really think about who the truth might really hurt. Lies are meant to protect the individual from their surroundings and if a lie is able to comfort someone else then that's just peachy.

I know it sounds selfish but that is what a lie is.

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I completely agree! For the first time on this site I actually agree with someone hahaha. And that was very good, and in depth explanation.

34yrs • F •
optimist is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
thats ture well when i lie it because i dont wanna look bad and i think not knowing is actually better than knowing the truth so lie to spare their feeling and mine

"life is to short to have regrets"
 37yrs • M •
Thanks guys. You've made my day. I am going to keel over in utter disbelief now.

34yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that her is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
thats why god dislikes lying, it upsets everyone.

"I have nothing to be proud of today but hopefully tomorrow I will."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
SupermanGom,
I guess because of the emotional state you were in when you began this thread you were thinking with your heart and not your head.

Because I feel it is not a very clever thing to start a thread to ask why WOMEN lie. It makes it sound as if they are the only ones who lie. Or they lie more than men. Or that their reasons for lying are totally different than men's.

I think the correct question is: why do humans lie?

But the reasons are so varied and complex I dont think anyone could address this topic in just one thread. (E.g. some people are compulsive liars who do it for deeper reasons than the average person.)

But as it has been said, the MAIN reason I believe people lie is because it is a very easy way to get out of a confrontation or negative experience.

I myself really hate lying and think honesty is of the utmost importance to be a healthy, positive human being. And most of all you should never lie to yourself. I think that is the worst kind of lie and causes much more damage than the basic everyday lies being addressed here.

But once again, sadly I find myself amazed at the negative view of females on this site. I think that possibly because its a male predominated site this is just the natural trend. (Or at least I hope so, and if the majority of regular posters were all female then men would be getting a bollicking right now instead. )

But I wonder if its because I live in Australia. Which is a little more behind England and America in terms of sophistication, manipulation and some of the newer negative social attitudes which are slowly becoming a trend (gold digging, playing, skankiness etc etc.) that all the women I know are more innocent than thier other western counterparts. As the women I am constantly hearing about in America and England seem to be complete nightmares.

Then again it could just be my own perception of the battle of the sexes. I really see women as getting the raw deal. Maybe because Ive been around men who have treated women like animals, and also always been around women who have needed a shoulder to cry on.

But I truly believe you need to revaluate your initial thoughts or explain your grievances better Supermangom, as I believe it is not very fair way of asking your question.

Its the equivalent of the next time I am treated rudely by a teenager, I start up a thread asking: why are teens such assholes?

As we all know, assholes come in all ages, colours, religions, cultures and sexes. Just like liars come all ages, colours, religions, cultures AND sexes.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, come on everyone, there is a topic about " why do men lie ". So I'm thinking he made this because women lie too. And no we don't need a new topic now because we already have two that cover both.

However, the similarity between the two is that lying is just a fear based emotion. 'humans' have many fears because they're unsure of how others around them that they might even care about will look at them after the truth has been told (which has been said many times and is already known) they fear the outcome since it's a negative situation, and automatically they assume others will look at them negatively and or differently.

we lie because in those harsh cases it protects the ego and the ego of others around us as a charade of happiness and making us believe there is no negativity, until the truth actually comes out, that makes more problems.

- that's why I never lie, just cut out the middle man and patch things up the best I can after the truth has been told.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I find that people in general lie because they are cowards, they are afraid to face the truth, afraid to what someone will say to them for what they have done or think. And that is not a way to live your life. For anyone close to me to lie right to my face and I found out afterwards that they were lying....I honestly do not know what I would do.

There has been a few times where someone very close to me was not telling me what they felt/thought. And then proceeded to tell me (in a letter) that he will nod do anything he promised me he would do. Crappy part is that he did not give me any legitimate reason why not. I never spoke to him again; he is not worth having in my life if he is not straight with me.

I am not sure how you feel about your family members; I treat them like I would anyone else, I have explicitly said to them never to lie to me and fear what happens if they do.

As far as I know they have never lied to me yet.

33yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mudd is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my opinion some women lie because they are selfish and either don't want to hurt or lose the person they are lying to. They lie about cheating so you dont find out and we can have you and the person we are cheating on you with. They lie so you aren't put in harms way emotionally or physically. Its mainly out of caring and selfishness. Probably more out of selfishness though. We can just as easily ask why do men lie, why do parents lie, why do children lie. We dont want to get in trouble or get punished, it's a natural defense meganism for anyone and everyone not just women. We tend to do it a bit more but that is beside the point.

""LIe to me",she whispered. "I love you",he said."
 33yrs • F •
So what exactly are you saying?

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
that they think they can lie and get away with it just because of the fact that they are a girl.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 33yrs • F •
that's kind of harsh... not all girls lie you know, we can be sweet
from time to time.

32yrs • F •
skwerlz is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
There are guys that do the same thing with girls, and they can be just as bad or even worse.

"I'm not Addicted, I just don't want to quit."
 37yrs • M •
The only reason I created this topic is to really say that we all lie to an extent, regardless of sex, and err my sister didn't sleep with my cousin

Why do women lie?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy