Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get? - daisygirl
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

O Fortuna

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
O Fortuna
This video appears to have been removed

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I love techno remixes of grandiose songs.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Poor Karl Orff.
Becuse of this one song, he has got to be one of the most overused (in my opinion.) composers of all time.

With the exception of Excalibur over 20 plus years ago where it was used in the best context and really fitted the movie, I have never seen a song that has been used to make so many lame things look so cool.

But that's the thing. This piece of music is just that damn good! You could put this music to footage of an old lady crossing the street and she would look cool.

So I guess I cant blame people for using it to prop themselves up on.

But instead of taking this for their own, somebody could have written something else just as powerful by now.

The only thing I can think of in modern times that comes anywhere close to this song is the soundtrack for Conan the Barbarian.

I love every single piece, but Riddle of Steel/ Riders of Doom would have to be the closest to Carmina Burana's operatic O Fortuna.

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When reading the above post in relation to the others, it occurred that some people may mistake what Ive said and am referring to the movie 300 when I talk about lame things looking good when O Fortuna is played over the top of it.

That wasn't what I meant.

My observations of O Fortuna being used in conjunction with something lame to make it look good, go way back before Youtube gave an entire generation of wannabe directors the delusion that taking a really cool piece of music, and using a programme to put it over a really cool clip from a movie or game made you the next Quentin Tarantino.

I was talking about a lifetime of seeing it used in plays, to advertise the local football, to sell Michael Jackson tickets, to beef up bgrade movies, to at least 3 techno songs and remixes that Wyote didn't find , to computer games, to sampling on other songs, to movie adds where the music isn't even in the film etc etc etc etc.

But as for the movie Ultraviolet,, which features in Wyote's techno clip. And in which Mila Jovovich skilfully makes being born beautiful and walking in slow motion while wearing dark sunglasses and a leather outfit look like its actually a talent.

THAT is a prime example of the song used to make something look more than it is.

(As a side note:
I would feel terrible knowing how bad that movie is and not speaking out to anyone that feels they may be interested in seeing it after the cool montage and even cooler music.

As someone whose seen it (well, enough of it to hate it.) I just want to warn anyone who like me, feels there is a difference between suspending disbelief, and just plain hanging it with a makeshift noose made from sheets.

It has to be the worst movie ever made. Or close.

I ejected the DVD and threw it at the wall after the first 15 mins. (I think the bullet proof hair in the bike chase was the final straw.)

Rewatch that clip with the sound turned down and watch how poorly choreographed the fight scenes are, how many other movies it has ripped off, and how bad the CGI is.

It is an insult to intelligence. A testament to how lazy filmmakers have become. And doesn't even stand up as a cheap bgrade action flick good for a laugh.)

Sorry. *Blushes*

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
That movie would have rocked if it were just Milla kicking ass half naked to O Fortuna though.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
O Fortuna
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy