Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

pro-life v. pro-choice?

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
brittanyanne is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
pro-life v. pro-choice?
I was given the weekend to write a 6 page essay on the debate between the two.

I personally am strongly pro-choice. I can't even start to understand how someone would ever feel it's okay to take away the natural rights of women.

my mother was raped at 15 and became pregnant. I don't know how pro-lifers being so religious would force such a young girl to mother a child she didn't choose to have. it sickens me and i'm trying to figure out what approach to take on this essay with.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It would be nice if at conception the man could sign some document saying he wants to abort, so later the woman would not be allowed to force him to pay child support.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Chained Wings is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I hope you're taking the piss Wyote.
As that's a terrible idea.

Its bad enough men fuck around as much as they like, promising eternal love to women- then do a Houdini when the poor girl is pregnant and all of the above complexity is thrust upon the female. All because she cant just disappear when the seeds of their lust have taken root.

I wonder how many unwanted pregnancies there would actually be in this world if our anatomies were such that both men AND women had to share carrying a pregnancy and the consequent childbirth?

But moreso, could you imagine all the men who would sign that paper just to get out of paying child support?

Tsk tsk Wyote

"When I was a child I flew! Then as an adult- I watched others soar."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Daneaothoc, you keep using the word "child". Many legal abortions are done before the fetus even looks and functions remotely like a child. So what is a child? The fetus tt three months? Before? After?

How do you determine what has the right to live? What about the animals we kill and eat for dinner? They're living breathing beings capable of emotion, more capable than a three month old fetus.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"How do you determine what has the right to live?"

All things have the right to live. That is why it is ok to defend yourself. What we are trying to figure out is when does a fetus become a "thing" meaning aware of its own existence. Babys know the voices of their mothers and fathers before they are born, they react inside the womb and even play with their parents. What I believe is that as long as the baby does not have brain waves and before it feels then it should be ok. To proclaim being Pro-choice as the correct solution then backing it up with only saying that you can't believe how anyone would take away womens free rights without defining such an abstract idea is very surprising considering as you wrote a six page essay on it.

"What about the animals we kill and eat for dinner? They're living breathing beings capable of emotion, more capable than a three month old fetus."

But not human. It is natural for humankind to kill a creature in order to eat it, wear it, use it for anything practical. It is not natural for women to kill their un-born babies. If it were then no women would have post-abortion syndrome. On the other hand humans feel little guilt when eating a steak.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I very strongly believe that, if the woman is the one who is having the child inside her, it should be solely up to her what she feels she needs to do with the child. whether the reasons being predetermined physical or mental disorder and even in the event of rape.

Having a child in the first place is something where you are fully accepting the idea that you want a healthy child that will not have to go through life struggling. If the 'mother' is far too young and not willingly accepting the idea of wanting a child or not wanting to put a child through difficulties in life that will not let them conduct themselves normally, she is the only one who should have the final say in the matter. [assuming there is some small agreement or none at all by a father]

I think what pro-life people don't understand is the circumstances of a situation that would cause a mother to abort her unborn child. Either that, or they just don't care. Now, if a mother where to abort the fetus with no legitimate reason; just because, I'm not ok with that. I'm sorry but God does not determine whether you have a child or not.

A young girl gets raped, gets pregnant, most likely ruins her whole plans for the rest of her life. Did God intend this pregnancy and intentionally want this child to come into the world like that?

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The core issues:

1) When is the zygote a “human”?
2) What has the right to live?
3) Why do women get to decide on the abortion alone?
4) What is a valid reason for an abortion?
5) What do you do when either the man or woman doesn't want the baby?

1) If, let's say, we zygote is a human at 6 weeks, is it ok to have an abortion before that?
2) This is tough.
3) Because the foetus develops in her body and is usually weaned be her. But men should have the responsibility of the decision since they do play part in all of this.
4) If the baby/ foetus can seriously harm the mother's body, abortions should be legal. What about if the child has a genetic disease and won't live long? What about rape? Teen pregnancies? Unfit homes and parents? Poverty?
5) I don't know. This goes back to question 3 on who gets to decide.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
One thing that is important to remember is that although the speciman is insignificant we all came from that insignificant speciman. However the other side of the issue has interesting points. In all practicality in an unwanted pregnancy it would be nice to have the option to let it go especially if the relationship is for amusement.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think I will be the first pro-life poster on this topic. Something you all need to realize is although it's the woman's body the fetus is growing and developing in it is a completely different human being body that you are completely destroying.

You say that it was not the mother's choice if she is raped and that she should have the right to say what happens to her body...what about the child? I can guarantee you that they did not CHOOSE to be conceived as a result of an act so terrible as rape. And shouldn't they have a say in what happens to their body? They cannot speak but I'm pretty sure that there is no fetus that is so depressed that they would say "yes, please kill me so that I'm not a burden anymore."

Even a natural abortion (miscarriage) leaves a permanent mark on the mother both mentally and physically. Imagine, the guilt you would feel to know that you chose to do something that most women have a difficult time dealing with when it was something they couldn't stop. How can you seriously say that it would be better for the mother to have the abortion? How can know what it would have been like if she had kept the child?

I'm not looking to upset anyone, I'm simply stating that regardless of women's rights and regardless of the situation that is caused by some horrible men, the child cannot be held accountable or murdered just because it wasn't wanted.

36yrs • M •
I actually went to a Catholic High School and I have heard this argument a thousand times. I'm not saying your wrong for you have some good points. It's just that not everyone can grasp the fact of being parents. Not everyone who is capable of being a parent is actually capable of the responsibility of being a parent. A kid raised in a shit home makes a shit kid and a shit kid causes lots of shit. Now i know a shit kid doesn't deserve to get murdered but in the situation I'm sure it would pass many peoples minds. I'm not saying that's right in fact I think it's cowardly but it's become a part of life.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I agree that it has become a part of life but what is upsetting is that people know that style of life exists and therefore they feel the best way to fix it is to keep the child from living all together. We have laws to protect children in harmful or unloving environments. We of course don't catch them all but at least it's a stand against such things. We need something to protect children from dying before having the opportunity to be saved. that sounds bad but i don't know how else to say it.

34yrs • F •
optimist is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
pro-life

you have no right to take the life of another human

if you dont think you are redy to take care of it but it for adoption dont kill it

there are alot of woman that can not have children that are happy to adopt yours

"life is to short to have regrets"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that SupermanGom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How on earth can you determine whether or not a woman has the right to terminate a baby? I hate these emphatic statements by religious bigots. In reality we live in a society which for the most part accepts that it's down to the individual to choose whether or not to terminate. In western society, the majority of people are either agnostics or atheists. Why should the religious right act as our moral conscious when the electorate isn't, for the most part, religious in the first place? Possible medical breakthroughs in stem cell research have been curtailed by a religious minority that bases their beliefs on a book thousands of years old. I hear the word extremism used flippantly these days, but in saying that, isn't the blocking of breakthroughs in stem cell research by a religious minority a form of extremism?

"Destiny is only destiny when we believe in destiny."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that SupermanGom is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"You say that it was not the mother's choice if she is raped and that she should have the right to say what happens to her body...what about the child? I can guarantee you that they did not CHOOSE to be conceived as a result of an act so terrible as rape. And shouldn't they have a say in what happens to their body? They cannot speak but I'm pretty sure that there is no fetus that is so depressed that they would say "yes, please kill me so that I'm not a burden anymore." "- Fire Angel

These sorts of statements are so incredible, I don't know whether to just laugh it off or weep uncontrollably. What is wrong with people these days?

"Destiny is only destiny when we believe in destiny."
 36yrs • M •
But don't you think of abortion as being cowardly. People that have an abortion have no balls.

pro-life v. pro-choice?
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy