The trouble with ignorance is that it picks up confidence as it goes along. - Locut0s
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Can we escape our pre-conditioning?

User Thread
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
We teach our children things that our parents taught us, that their parents taught them…and so on. Tribal wisdom.

The unconscious things are the trickiest. Thieves in the night that rob us of our freedom and then re-appear to mock us periodically throughout our lives. Little red flags waving at us from a distance, calling out: “is this what you wanted? - Are you happy now?”

Richard Branson's parents always taught him that nothing was impossible to achieve, and have given him unstinting support throughout his life. I suggest that this type of environment is the pre-conditioning from which all success must follow.

But what of those who have not been born into that nurturing environment, and have been pre- conditioned by unconscious beliefs of struggle and limitation.

Can they overcome this pre-conditioning, and how?

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
LSD has been known to rewire a one's imprints and conditioning. lol, that might be a little extreme but it is a thought.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Scarecrow is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Sigmund Freud believed that conditioning occurred during early childhood and adolescence. However, since then the main view of social psychology is that conditioning never really stops. Some will dwell on the past and let it hold them down, others will fight it to many extents. Take for example obesity in the US. Some children I know end up like their obese parents. One particular case I know of hates it so much shes practically anorexic. So it works both ways.

"Everything we say is a lie no matter how useful it can be."
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If we are saying that our upbringing is the root of our pre conditioning of course that is part of it. It's back to the nature/nurture debate isn't it? Genes versus environment. Well for myself, I believe that it is definately both. Conditioning is basically learning and life experience through every single interaction and sensory input we recieve.

My mother was brought up in a Norwood Jewish orphanage and kicked out at sixteen to go back and live with her mother who was a drunk and a gambler, and OK she may not have been the most affectionate mother however, I feel loved, I remember cuddling up on the sofa after my baths as a child and watching TV. And my kids certainly don't lack in the affection department, so my mother broke her pre conditioned unaffectionate childhood and life did the rest.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 68yrs • F •
Your Mum sound great!

But I was more thinking along the lines of those kind of lurking deeply held beliefs, that one may be unawares of. Like for instance the subconscious belief that 'money is the root of all evil' perhaps, which may have a lot to do with one's having it or not.

Or a subconscious distrust of men or women and therefore of marriage, due to an early long forgotten event that may have had nothing to do with you as such, but nevertheless has a profound influence on what happens to your own relationships with the opposite sex.

So these could be the little things that inform us in hidden ways if left unexamined...

36yrs • M •
To try and answer your original question: yes people can overcome our unconscious biases and fears. The first thing that comes to mind for me as to how, is an event that is equally or stronger than the antagonist event that would have the opposite/positive effect. That or sheer will and objective self-evaluation, which is something I consider near impossible.

68yrs • F •
Do you think that the events or occurrences in your life could serve as a mirrors reflection to show you 'yourself' with more objectivity?

36yrs • M •
I think that some times when we see others doing what we dislike, we can some times realize that we ourselves are guilty of what we point fingers at.

44yrs • M
Zion is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Sure we could re-Condition ourselves. I do it all the time.
See my dads a Athiest. Mom's a christian. I consider my self a philosopher and that is my relegion. Even though I was brought up Christian.

Even today Im always changing my given state of mind.
Isent that in itself a change in my conditioning?

68yrs • F •
quote:
I think that some times when we see others doing what we dislike, we can some times realize that we ourselves are guilty of what we point fingers at.

How very insightful of you!

I don't think you have to fully believe in something first in order to become preconditioned. Take for example someone who grew up in a stressful environment. Lots of parental abuse and fighting going on.

This all becomes internalized on a sub-conscious level rather than being accepted because you believed in it as such. Then later on in adult life you are likely to find yourself acting out various scenarios... this is what I mean by preconditioning.

Its something similar to what they do when training soldiers for war.

44yrs • M
Zion is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
ok then.
When i was young I believed in santa clause.
I escaped that.

Use this example for whatever you want. You can escape it.

36yrs • M •
I was gonna tell you to ease up with the "stupid" statement but I guess you beat me to it.
But yes, have we satisfied your question Chiron?

68yrs • F •
quote:
have we satisfied your question Chiron?

Hmmm, not quite Scarecrow. But thanks for trying all the same.

Here's the thing...

A belief is a certainty or a conviction held by the believer.

A precondition is a condition that must exist or be established before something can occur. ie. it is the pre-recquisite for a belief to occur.

The subconscious is that which exists in the mind beneath or beyond consciousness; and therefore cannot be described as beliefs...

I am referring to those subconscious things which affect peoples daily lives as being a kind of preconditioning.

36yrs • M •
Can you give me an example?

43yrs • M •
New One is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Decious. Im new here but you sound like a retarded dog trying to pernounce english. The definition of conditioning is:

reputition .

Everything you learn is fucking reputition. Thats how people learn. Saying you can escape Conditioning in any way shape or form is like saying. I can loose my memmory by choice.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy