Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Ethics

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ethics
Okay, I'm going to take a different approach with ethics, largely because it is now considered a sort of dead duck. While post-modernists like Jameson, Lyotard and Derrida revel in morality's new-found freedom from questions of legitimacy, and relativists like Macintyre and Collingwood rail against any attempts to establish a universal basis for our ethical injunctions, I will skirt a line between the two: for though it has thrown off the yoke of bi-polarity, and has hitherto broadened out from incontestable right and wrong to factor in free-will, it must still be possible to frame the ethics qua human beings, if not necessarily in terms of fixed rules. There is a strong current of Aristotle here, though I would obviously need to dismantle his metaphysical biology. The primary question, so conceived, is: how should I live my life? Is there a rational (if not objective, immutable and binding) way of answering this question?

Ethics
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy