Why do you try so damn hard to fit in when you were born to stand out? - brann22
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Face Tells the Story (of the Mind)

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You can make the mind do what the face tells you. For example, making a pleasant face and having that affect your mind (perhaps making you happier)…
Your body language too will affect your mind. So you can make yourself confident by simply making a strong stance…
These ideas are involved with the real (true self) and imagined self (a mental projection)…

I guess the main idea of this thread is to say that the face is an important communication tool, that this tool can be used to bring out more of a particular element desired to be involved with that communication. Such that you can make yourself happier or sadder simply by making the face stronger or more accurately…
But to add to this main idea, is that, other communication tools, like body language, can be used in a similar fashion…

"There is no negative one..."
 68yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Chiron is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
An interesting and thought provoking concept you point out, Black Gold.

My main issue with it though, is that the whole of our
Western/Capitalist ideology is based upon this.
And every advert, or billboard, or Movie we see carries the message that 'if you could only look this good/powerful (and purchasing x,y, or zee will help you achieve this), then you too will control your destiny...

And even 'smiling', or 'making a positive stance' are degrees of looking good to ourselves, and others.

Body languague/facial expressions are an intrigueing sign languague that we all use. But are they truth, or are they just representations (trusted illusions), and therefore the means by which we all manipulate?

80yrs • F •
Curiosity is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Chiron, I am quite interested in ths subject for I believe that as we grow older we show only what we want to show, either physically or visually. In other words. There is an American saying 'Have a nice day' with a smile, but do they mean it. I think not they are told to be polite no matter what. This is the common demoninator throughout the world. The Chinese smile at you even when they don't even know you. This is there way. I could go on through many countries and walks of life. But to be a genuine one hundred percent nice person. One has to have been loved totally or understand not to speak when it means hurting someone.we learn to have total control over our emotions. I love life and people, therefore when someone is rude or annoying to me I either pull a face or turn around and walk away with a smile. Thinking 'I am glad they cannot read my mind.'

"Quantum Sufficit"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think Black Gold is right to a certain extent, I think that's why it is said laughter is the best medicine, however even though the basice facial emotions are the same whatever culture you are in there are certain cultural differences when it comes to what is socially appropriate to display. For example in Japan, a serious expression at a wedding, particularly during the wedding photo is appropriate in Britain you expect everyone to smile, at a British funeral its expected to see people quiet and solemn in other cultures it is expected that you cry out and wail with grief. So I would ask are we conditioned to feel a certain way by social contexts?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 80yrs • F •
Curiosity is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
What's expected of us and what we portray are entirely different things, for what you feel inside can be heartache, but to show it visually is not in most circumstances practical.One of the things we learn as we grow older is to hide feelings deep inside and only allow them out when we think the time is right.
Likewise at a funeral. Someone might be pleased to see the back of someone, but they would not allow their feelings to be shown. As you say laughter is the most important comodity we have and should be used at every opportunity, so long as it is not at someone else's expense.
I think I have waffled on too much as usual.

"Quantum Sufficit"
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It is true that the face is a mirror of the emotions inside of someone but that goes for every muscle in the body. Because for some odd reason nudity is shameful we've all been conditioned to think that it is just the face that does this. I don't believe there is a muscle in your body that doesn't indicate your emotional state. Rodin, probably the greatest modern sculptor, would sculpt bodies that were missing limbs and heads to get rid of all that was "unnecessary" for the purpose and meaning of the piece. In his studio he had hired permanent nude models to just live there and be naked all the time. This was so he could familiarize with the human body. Shame of body and shame of sex... it's rediculous.

"The truth will set you on fire"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy