What good is a long life to us if it is hard, joyless and so full of suffering that we can only welcome death as a deliverer? - Forbidden Psalm
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Gears of War

User Thread
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Gears of War
One of the best video games I've ever played.
This video appears to have been removed

This video appears to have been removed

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it is a brilliant game, the combat system is a bit weird to get used to, but it is a great system, other fps games should adopt it, it makes things much more interesting when using cover is easier.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zyphon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Does anybody know if there is going to be a Gears of War II?
Gears of War was fun but kind of easy. Except for the last guy because me and my friend didnt know about the faster reload thing.

"sad is the heart that loves. its usually broken"
 46yrs • M
Definitely a sequel, they are in works on the movie as well, we'll see how that turns out, but no real word on release dates for the game yet, but it sold so many copies they would be retarded not to.

By no means is this game perfect, nor long lasting, except online, but even that can't outlast halo online, just a beautiful game that is tons of fun.

And the chainsaw bayonette is the shit.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
“They just know how to shoot stuff, and they're stoked about it.”

lol

This game is beautiful. I think it puts Halo to shame, but comparing them isn't really fair. We'll see how the next in each series stacks up.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M
Played Halo 3 beta last night, what a joke, Gears totally kicks its ass.

32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that zyphon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Hey ironwood dont base Halo 3 off of the beta version. Look at the demo for Halo 2. It had tons of stuff that was different. But i still like halo more because its more of a challenge and its longer. Although i didnt like that you played as the arbiter so much. What was your favorite weapon in Gears Of War?
Mine was the Tork Bow or the chainsaw.

"sad is the heart that loves. its usually broken"
 46yrs • M
Well, sure, I'll be holding all true Halo judgement for release of the full and hopefully far more polished version. But what I played, though not completely un-fun, was a bit lacking to say the least. I am about the only person I've heard complain about it yet though, but I'm no Halo die hard either.

Gears weapons, well, all really, though abused, there is no denying the coolness of the chainsaw, though basic there is no getting away from the sheer brutality of a close shotty, there is little better way to punk someone than bitch slapping them with a pistol, any explosives given the effects on the character models is just nasty, but grenade tagging is just too cool, as long as its not on you. And I love super weapons, making the hammer warm and fuzzy for me. Torque takes some getting used to, but adds yet another diverse element and need for some actual skill to master, which I have not. Even the most basic machine gun feels very visceral given the impacts and recoil. Hell, even your boot is a major weapon in an unexpectedly brutal manner, ode to American History X.

The atmosphere is so complete and engrossing too, from grunts to heavy breathing, cursing out a jammed reload, its just good stuff.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The halo series was all well and good, but basically it could have been a number of other games, say for example the unreal series, there wasn't anything majorly new in it's ideas or way of working, it was jus an entertaining game with the foresight to stick in co-op which would give it far more playability than otherwise.

GoW is simply a stunning game, the graphics are gorgeous (in a gritty blood coated realistic way) and the way it plays is brilliant. The guns may be nothing much new (other than the hammer of dawn, and even then see ut2k4's ion painter) but there is nothing like the shoot-outs you get, watching your ai team mates and your enemies ducking behind cover sprinting from cover to cover is brilliant

No other game I've played offers anything like it, sure people hide behind stuff but it is just that, standing behind a pillar and stepping out to shoot. The way of "resurrecting" your buddies when they die is quite good as well, halo was always annoying if one person got shot and then couldn't respawn for 10 mins cos there was a grunt hiding in a corner that you just couldn't find.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
silencedjo is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
halo sucks i would rather play gears anyday matter a fact thats what im doing right this second

""He who knows all, knows nothing at all.""
Gears of War
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy