Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Ausberb's Syndrome

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Ausberb's Syndrome
This past weekend has wrecked havic on my mind in the best way possible.

I went to my friend's house just like any other weekend. threw on some tea, sat around the table talking about random things that somehow got into metaphysical rabble (for lack of better words), the usual...

I had the bright Idea of getting high and searching for stuff on the internet that seemed interesting and going back to the table to put my two cents into the already random conversation... when a very surprising guest walked through the garage door into the room I was in looking at things online... My friend's brother; who is 'gifted' with ausberb's syndrome.

It didn't click in my mind to start talking to him until I began to understand him coherently and it kinda caught me off guard. So, being the curious little knowledge freak I am, I started to talk to him.

And to my amazement, he responded in such a manner that made perfect sense to me... but to other's he was still talking way to fast and about 'random' things.

I was observing him VERY carefully and watching how he went about doing things on the computer. I suggested to him, "maybe we should write and draw on this piece of paper together " .. What a good move on my part.

I explained to him that he was at such a higher level of thinking than everyone else that it was hard for most to communicate with him. He responded, "yeah I know, John"

I misread "know" as "Vinow" and he proceeded to correct me in a fraction of a second that "vinow" is a section in the virgin islands... I nearly shat myself when I looked it up on google and he had already drew a perfectly accurate map while I was looking at the computer. And then he translated it into "latin" and "cyrilic" for some reason. I could not believe what I was seeing... and It only got more exciting as the night went on..

At the end of the night, I realized how incredibly smart and funny he was.. which I would have completely overlooked any other day.

If I could show all of you the papers that we drew on, it would blow your mind. but I guess it you would have had to of been there and witnessed it for yourself..

sorry if this is so long, but I just had to get this out there somewhere..

but the thing I was wondering was Does this make any sense? or was that just the weed that made me think that this all made sense?

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
thanks for the changes, Decius.

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is Ausberb's syndrome?
Do you mean Asperger's syndrome?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
After reading your post again I am quite certain you are talking about a young boy with Asperger's syndrome, which is an autistic spectrum disorder. People with Asperger's syndrome do see the world in a very different way and I have my own theories on this. I believe it is something to do with sensation and perception. People who are autistic don't like loud noises or things that are too bright and colourful. Things in general overwhelm them and they nearly always have narrow interests which are obsessive. Routine is obsesivively rigid and some highly academic and intelligent people have Asperger's syndrome.

I believe it is something to do with the fact that we all take in a vast amount of sensations and hence information through those sensations and our brains filter out everything that is not necessary so that we are not overwhelmed , hence we do not attend to everything. I think people with autism and Asperger's syndrome don't have that mechanism and so their senses become bombarded with information and detail, which is mostly very confusing, but sometimes they have the ability to understand and use this gift of understanding the complexities of the world around them.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 34yrs • M •
I like the reply but just to get this all out of the way, it's spelled ausberG's syndrome. but more to the point... I am quite certain, in my mind, that my friend's brother is far different than what I currently know. he seem's to display characteristics orfautism, ausberg's, and savants. He just seems like a mixture of all 3 at times.

He does in fact like loud noises (speedcore techno) because he told me that he can hear each individual beats that are fast enough for Him to comprehend 'normally'... I guess since he's at such a high level he likes things that are just as high, he also lovess brilliantly colored pictures and drawing them himself... idk getting out some thoughts right now. still working on explaining what the hell I witnessed. hopefully I can ask if he will invite him over next weekend so I can try this little experiment again. he's such a mystery to me right now and it's making me really happy.

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that CodeWarrior is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can relate to a lot of this. The love of bright colours (especially green to purples) and techno, (also classical). The ability to recall obscure facts. (One of my friends was surpassed today that I could remember details what I'd been taught in my 2nd years course 2 years ago). I have to say though remembering a precise image of a coastline is a bit special by my standards. Unless you are very familiar with the land. I find it easy to remember information I can connect to a concrete conceptual frame work. (So a map of an island would just be lines till I started connecting it to features on the map of note and then the map would start to lodge in my mind although perhaps not the precise shape)

Also try to remember things lie aspergers are on a spectrum. That is it's a matter of degrees with lots of different forms of expression. I't actually a bit pointless to debate weather it's aspergers or not. Comparable to debating weather a greeny blue is green or blue. In one sense it is neither and the other both.

Actually there is an organ in the brain that strongly links the aspects of memory, emotion and gut instincts. In autism spectrum people this tents to be anomalous. I wrote this on it once.
quote:
The amygdala is a remarkable organ in the brain. It's function might roughly be described as an emotional / instinctive memory. If you should happen across a dangerous animal in the wild in a moment your body will tense, adrenaline will surge into your body and all this has been experimentally shown to take place a split second before subjects are consciously aware of the animal. The amygdala is party responsible for this. It searches through it's much more streamlined and simplified data banks of dangerous shapes to recognise a threat before your conventional memory centres do and informs the brain-stem to prime you for fight or flight.

The amygdala has a much greater range of functions though. People with brain damaged amygdala may fall pray to a psychological condition where they come to believe their friends are families are impostors or alien clones. While their higher memory contours recognise them that little circuit in the amygdala doesn't fire and so they feel none of the familiar bond they're expecting.

The amygdala is a programable entity. Programable not just by pleasure and pain but emotional factors. Take my example of women's reluctance to have a male bra fitter work on them. Intellectually they know that the man is a professional, that this situation is not a sexual one and that the gentleman is hardly likely to be 'perving' on them much less a threat to them. Yet deep down in their heads there is a little circuit firing saying, 'warning, man = sexual aggressor, caution'. They weren't born with this, they learnt it. Emotional incidents and social learning have planted this link in them. Of course the amygdala needs this flexibility to help you respond to a changing world.

Even things such as what foods correspond to what nutrition and which are potentially toxic can be encoded thus. Do you imagine a man who is allergic to a common preservative in chocolate cake is going to find the site of a cake appetising after he tasted it as a child? No even if the preservative is latter banned he will probably continue to associate the sight with the sensation of his wrenching gut spewing forth.

Some things are hard wired into us of course. A distaste for faeces for example. Yet these can be over ridden with time (trust me I know those people ).

My personal feeling is that beyond that 1st 3 seconds of a situation the amygdala can often become more of a hindrance than a help and we, as human beings, should seek to gain mastery of our amygdala. Not to suppress them but to hack into them and place them more directly under our cognitive control. Then perhaps we could have male bra fitters.

Ausberb's Syndrome
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy