Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Mental Trigonometry…

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Mental Trigonometry…
This technique I haven't used much yet, but the idea goes like this…

You have a shape in your mind, let's take an easy one and say a triangle. Now you may attribute qualities to the mental triangle, for example the lines joining three key areas you are using that relate to each other (this could be anything the mind does, like linking the visual processing to the imagination for a vision and also the memory to remember and relate the ideas to each other).
After you have your shape (a triangle in this case), you may know a few things about it, but some may remain unknown.
Lets say you know either side-side-side and want to know the angles, or you know side-side-angle and want to know the unknown side and the unknown two angles, or you know side-angle-angle and want to know the unknown sides and the unknown angle. This you can do through trigonometry, as you may well know.
So maybe you know a little about the shape involved with a thought, and want to complete the picture, through trigonometry you can pin-point things down.
Okay, does that mean, whenever we have a thought, do we do ‘trig' to help us find the answer?
Well, most of the time, ‘No!'… But it is possible that we may make the calculations involved in ‘trig' to make the picture fit together.

Alright, I imagine at this point, you're probably asking “What does mathematics have to do with thought?” and “Can trigonometry actually help me find an answer for a situation I am in?”
My answers…
I'm not exactly sure just yet. I did get the feeling when I tried to imagine what was going on, and I realised that sometimes I am unaware of how far it is from one part of my brain to another, or the angles involved. And also, that, when the solution to my situation came, it fitted in with what you would normally project from doing a bit of math-work…
Also, I haven't tested it much yet… So I cannot yet give any good examples… Sorry!
However, I would say, the thing to try is, possibly, to look for a situation where you could use some ‘trig' for your thoughts or feelings… If you take note of where things are in relation to other things, and the angles involved, you may remember the thoughts or feelings involved better… Maybe…

Sorry to go so much, but there is one more thing…
‘Trig' mostly works with triangles, but that should be no problem, as you most likely think of relating a few things at a time anyway…

Would love to hear any thoughts on this topic, and especially whether if you can see a good use for the technique of relating thoughts and mathematical tools…

Finally, you can also use trigonometry for calculating not only distance and angulation, but other physical quantities, as you may know if you've studied Physics. You can also work out speeds, force and acceleration, just to name a few key quantities.

"There is no negative one..."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Interesting, how about those pyridmids , . . to relate sitting & storing objects in a triangular vortex towhat; focus energy?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that fireangel is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think this is a very interesting theory, A thought process...working like shapes? Very intriguing.(sp) It also made me think of a movie I watched not so long ago...The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The computer that is supposed to know everything comes up with a numerical answer for the question "What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?" Thank for such an excellent idea and I bid you good luck with it's development.

Mental Trigonometry…
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy