Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Hearing with an Eye to Detail

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When you see something you don't just use your eyes alone, as you know... You use your mind aswell...
But beyond this, your eyes and ears both affect your mind, so your hearing, indirectly, affects your vision...
An example of this is when someone says they need to be able to look at you to hear you properly (which may involve wearing eye-glasses)...
So basically all the senses affect and enhance eachother...
An example of this is looking at someone talking and reading their body language and following the movement of their lips...
Hearing and smelling with an eye to detail...
Tasting the spoken words...
Feeling what someone is saying...
The mind has an important part, the general movement of the body (particularly the head) plays a part too...
Do you see where I am coming from?
Questions... Do you think the relation of different senses makes that much difference? Or, is the relation negligible to the point, where they relate so minimally that they're entirely independant? And, does these thoughts make any difference to how you think you do, and can, operate?

"There is no negative one..."
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well, since your brain interprets and intergrates all the senses into experience and then memory I suppose everyone experiences and remembers things differently depending on how they percieved an event. For example I remember a particular camping trip with my family from when I was a little girl very differently to my sister. Foremost in my mind is the smell of early mornings and the country sounds, birds, cows that sort of thing. My sister remebers how cold and wet it was!

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 46yrs • M •
If sight affects hearing, and hearing affects sight, etc...
You can simply co-ordinate yourself such that when you are hearing you are seeing as well. Such that, you don't need to switch between the two...
Then what about different thoughts affecting eachother?..

One thing I happened upon today was that, if thoughts affect one another. Then it is possible that instead of switching between thoughts, for example thinking of opposites, you can simply position yourself and work with both possibilities from the same stand-point...

You can simply meditate on something without all the moving about of regular thought, simply by knowing that the qualities of one thought would appear in another, as long as they were both present...

Does this make any sense? (as I am not sure I described it that well...)
Please reply if you have something you can add (even if it's just to say that this thinking does make sense... thanks!)

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Have you read restless mind's post on the restless mind? - it might interest you. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, are you talking about trying to train your mind to concentrate only on specific things? Can you elaborate on this?

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 46yrs • M •
I did read Restless Mind's post on the Restless Mind… Although I didn't get much of it…
Although it was interesting…
I guess the main thrust of what I was saying is based on a hypothesis that the powers of the different senses somehow combine with each other, such that having seen someone speak you may be able to appreciate the sound of their words…
I guess it would then follow that certain parts involved with hearing and sight would be a combination of both auditory and visual sites within the brain…
In the later post I relate the idea of different thoughts enhancing each other (one example I gave was of opposites) such that the same area is responsible for working with these different thoughts…
The benefit of this way of thinking is, that in making comparisons or other ways of relating two thoughts to each other, you can simply be in one place for the processing of the two different thoughts, thereby saving time and energy…
One main question I would have would relate to the power and trueness of both thoughts being brought out by using this technique. As in, “Does it work?”. The answer could be “Only if you use it correctly…”.
The examples I gave in the first post (eg. Hearing and smelling with an eye to detail, etc.) translate with the ideas brought up in the second post, to produce something like “Thoughts of, say how difficult life is, combining with thoughts of, say how we can but try, to produce the standpoint worthy but challenging (in regards to our approach to our feeling on life)…”
Other examples might be:-
- Maybe I should do this! Maybe I should do that! Which combine to the standpoint that I could go either way on this one…
- I like the smell of roses! I am going to take a walk in the park today! Which might combine to produce the standpoint that I am going to the park where I can smell the roses…
- I think this is important! I also think that is important! Which combines to produce these are both important…
- I could easily think that this is a bad idea! I could easily think that it is a good idea! Which produces the standpoint that this idea is unclear in it's nature but I am prepared for it's consequences…
That's just to name the one's that came to mind, and on reflection may be clear in their nature…
I think the idea is that you can be in one place to think about two (or possibly more) things of a mental nature. And, that promoting this kind of thinking, understanding it, and being at one with it may be of benefit… It may even quiet the mind a little…

Please let me know if that has made the idea any clearer…

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy