Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Out of the Corner of Your Eye…

User Thread
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When you see something out of the corner of your eye, that's not exactly how you'll perceive it…
Sensing something out of the corner of your eye, “Yes!”… But perceiving it “No!”…
Basically in order to perceive something it must enter into your field of vision.
This is such that, when you're attempting to perceive something which is at the corner of your mind, you actually move your conceived vision of that something (from memory) toward the centralised field of vision…
This effect is not only for vision, but also for hearing, smell, taste, and feeling…
Basically most of your sensory equipment is more centralised, rather than evenly distributed…
And also, your strongest view of something, is right in front of you, which is why you will direct yourself directly towards something ion order to get your best perception of it…

"There is no negative one..."
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PhilipMui is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well its simple, theres our line of perceptive relative reality, but what makes you think man is so arogant to think theres only one, im not talking about other dimensions, perceptive astral realities and dimensions are two totally different things. Okay back to what i was saying. The reason why we see things at the corner of our eyes, is cause there's frequences, wave links of other plain of existances passing through ours, relatively hypotheoticly speaking. And thus the reason why we all see ghost or wierd things, or insane people see caterpillers the size of men telling them what to do, relatively hypotheotically speaking. The reason why most men (human in general) are no able to sense unlike dogs or animals because of free will and beliefs. If there's no such thing as in the end of the number system materialisticly then there is no end for those frequences, thus proven by the fact when everyone was a small little child when they were in a room with 50 people , it felt like 5000 people. Hence the fact that you feel as if there's something in the corner of your eyes.

"Thy Lovest Soul"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Attention and perception are two different things entirely. What you perceive through your senses, is then interpreted by your brain, i.e what goes into your eye what is seen by your visual field is not necessarily what your brain eventually tells you you saw, it interprets the information for you so you can understand it. It basically filters out all the unecessary stuff and only lets you attend to what is important. When you see something out of the corner of your eye it is something just out of your field of vision, catching your attention or not as the case may be.

If we attended to everything that came in by our senses the world would be a very confusing and overwhelming place, I happen to believe that people with autism may have this problem. Every minute detail comes in through the senses and is not filtered out hence confusion and attention to minute details.

Yes so when you think you see something out of the corner of your eye it is probably your brain misinterpreting some sudden movement just out of your field of vision. Does that make any sense?

That is not to say that our sensory organs are able to pick up everything...there may be things which are transmitting at some different frequency, level whatever that we can't pick up and our sixth sense sometimes picks it up, hence the shiver down the spine, raised hairs, feeling someone's watching you etc. What do you think about that?

Decius, I like your standard deviation diagram by the way, that's a perfect standard deviation curve!

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PhilipMui is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
intresting.... i believe the biggest role in all this, is how open your mind is

"Thy Lovest Soul"
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yes , you're both right, mind power if you like how we train ourselves to be more aware of things in our surroundings. Meditation can help you become much more aware, of course if you lose the use of a sense organ or perhaps if you are born blind for example other senses become much more focussed. We have the brain capacity to be more attuned I'm sure.

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I guess the main thrust of what I was saying was about the phenomena of the mind bringing the perception, of say a bird viewed out of the corner of the eye, from the outer area of sight. It is brought to the centre of the mind where you bring up that image again, this time as I said in the centre, rather than in the corner of the mind.
Decius, I think what you were saying is that we pick up and respond mostly to things in our centralised view and you're right, of course.
Philip, you're dead right that things seen out of the corner of the eye can often create illusory sensations, where we make errors in judgement. And also that other life-forms most likely respond differently in regards to perception of things in the corners of our eyes, minds and so on.
And Sorceress, attention and perception are two different things, I think part of the filtration you speak of occurs when that image is taken from the corner of the eye to the centre of the mind's eye.
Decius, again on the money, but how much is interpretation part of awareness? Please explain… Because I can see that the evaluation part of interpretation is not always something you are aware of (directly)…
Philip, I think the openness of the mind plays it's part, but is directly dependant on certain areas of openness, like knowing to look out for things in the corner of your eye…
And, meditation is one way to show an openness of mind, it just depends what you meditate upon…
Furthermore, I can say I still haven't looked any more at things out of the corner of my eye yet, maybe that's something I should try… It's just easier to just turn around…
Also, the point was that we translate the thing in the corner of the eye, and put it into the centre, rather than that we should be more aware of things out of the corner of the eye. Perhaps Decius' Standard Deviation Curve distracted us a little…
It is a helpful diagram though, it shows also the amount of attention we pay to things in the corner of our eyes, ears, etc. It shows other things too involving the corner of the eye, but that's just the thing with useful diagrams I guess, they're useful!

"There is no negative one..."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy