Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Guitarists? - Page 2

User Thread
 42yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that pupa ria is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i do play guitar but i don't know if i'm any good at it, specialy when i'm drunk
i prefer playing on classic guitar rather then accoustic, i don't like high resonnance i like the sound to be withheld.
Bob Dylan is my first reference as an influence, then comes hmm Simon and Garfunkel, Kings of Convenience...i wish i could play Nick Drake but he horses around with his goddamn keys a lot and i'm too lazy for that.

"I'm the mirror that will make you invisible"
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that NicOfTime is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Have played guitar most of my life, professionally for over 30 years, taught for 15 years. Never made it past local fame, big fish in a small pond, but did quite well with it for many years.

Influences were Clapton, Page, Michael Bloomfield -- then Joe Pass, Pat Martino, Al Dimeola, Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, Frank Gambale, Stanley Jordan, Paco De Lucia, Andres Segovia, Christopher Parkening.

Guitar is an unbelievably versatile instrument -- anything from thunder to a whisper, can caress you one second then cut you to shreds the next. Incredible number of innovative ways to play it. One can spend a lifetime mastering just one style, and there are still a hundred other styles to master.

Other influences -- folks I greatly admire (non-guitarists): Chick Corea, Gary Burton, Keith Jarret, Weather Report, Dream Theater, Jean Luc Ponty, John Pattitucci, Jaco Pastorius.

I don't play music. Music plays me...

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I liked your description of guitar, NicOfTime. To any aspiring guitarists out there I can offer one piece of advice. It may seem like nothing to you now but as you keep with it, the significance of this advice will slowly reveal itself as the most basic and essential element of music and even more, life in general.

Listen.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eye is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
guitar is a tool, music is in our heads.

i think I've been playing electric for abt 10 years now, classical a bit longer i think, but not quiet sure how long.

I'm more into experimentation with music, than a specific style. i think.

i first got into it by obsession onto certain classical guitar pieces that i don't remember anymore. then got into a more blues type, then progressive rock / different types of metal. and now not quiet sure what style it is that i play.

anyway, nice to see other musicians in here.

anyone got releases we could listen to ?

"i think therefore i think i am"
 36yrs • M
I have 2 song ideas me and my friend put together - they're just instrumentals - but for some reason only one of them is up on the myspace and all the other songs are my friend's project.

http://www.myspace.com/convenienttheband
Check out the song labeled "convenient - I'm surprised."

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
1:50-2:30 = Awesomeness

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M
Thanks Wyote! I wanted to eventually put a solo after that breakdown because the ending is so anti-climactic but we never got around to it.

Guitarists? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy