Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Excerp: Vietnam-Era Veteran Arrested at for Wearing Veterans for Peace T-Shirt

User Thread
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
http://okcitykid.bravejournal.com/

A fellow veteran and member of Veterans for Peace, Mike Ferner who served as an active duty Navy Corpsman during Vietnam was arrested on the 1st of July in a coffee shop of a Chicago VA center while drinking coffee, taking a brake from his war protest. The charge - "criminal trespass and weapons possession."

Mike said, "Hey, listen. I'm a veteran, this is a VA facility." "No, not with that shirt," said one of the arresting officers.

Mike Ferner was wearing a Veterans for Peace T-shirt with the "Police State Advisory System" posted on it.

After being handcuffed and searched Mike was found carrying a nifty Swiss Army pocket knife. Eric Ousley informed Mike that the pocket knife would have to be confiscated and destroyed, but he was allowed to keep his shirt. Eric decided to let Mike off with just a fine of $275. (Ofcourse it would be about money, because the rich man doesn't pay his due, we have to.) Mike however was warned that should he ever return with "that shirt" again, he would again be arrested but booked into jail.

I can understand Mike being charged with weapons possession, and the confiscation and destruction of said weapon. Those Swiss Army pocket knives are pretty dangerous, I know, I cut myself with one once, but how can a Vet be charged with criminal trespass for having coffee in a Veterans Administration Center coffee shop?

Mike Ferner says he's not going to pay the $275.

From AfterDowningStreet.org: "I'm sure I could go back to officers Adkins' and Ousleys' fiefdom with a shirt that said, "Nuke all the hajis," or "Show us your tits," or any number of truly obscene things and no one would care. Just so it's not "that shirt" again.
And just for the record? I'm not paying the fine. I'll see Adkins and Ousley and Dubya's Director of the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, if he wants to show up, in United States District Court on the appointed date. And if there's a Chicago area attorney who'd like to take the case, I'd really like to sue them -- from Dubya on down. I have to believe that this whole country has not yet gone insane, just the government. This kind of behavior can't be tolerated. It must be challenged."

You can find the full story on Democracy Now!>
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/06/1349239

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Update to Veteran Being Arrested at VA Center for Traspassing
Submitted by okcitykid on July 14, 2006 - 2:04pm.
Civil Liberties

Go to the Oklahoma Veterans for Peace Blog for an update:

http://okcityvfp.bravejournal.com/archive/07/14/2006

and say hi to "A Peaceful Vet"

He sometimes gets discouraged - I'm sure you can understand.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy