It's better to be one rose in a bed of roses than, like, one rose in a bed of weeds - Parisite Hilton
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Smallest Form of Energy

User Thread
 36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe we are all made up of the same basic energy, just different combinations of it make different things. Like leggos I guess you could say. Now if everything is made up of the same base energy then how could you see the base energy? What can you see without light? The answer is nothing. So I've come to the conclusion that light is the smallest form of energy. Hence why it can travel so fast, its the lightest thing in the universe. So to view the smallest form of energy would be to view a spec of light. With my theory, we would all be forms of condensed light. Heat might be pieces of energy colliding into one another and converting into a different form of energy, a little heavier. Sound would be a vibration of light. The only reason sound has different properties than things we see is the cause of the thoughts we correspond sound to in our minds. I believe sound is a bunch of tiny moving particles of this base energy. Depending on the way they move, a different thought is created in your mind.

This is all I feel like writing at the moment but if you have any interest in this I'd be glad to ellaborate further.

"The truth will set you on fire"
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Chris, a photon is an electromagnetive wave and in this sense is made of "matter". "Matter" provides the building blocks of the universe, but it is only the configuration of this matter which gives things their essence. That's pretty much the idea behind chemistry. Forgive me if I'm getting too technical.

As Einstein showed, light is sort of central to our perception of the world, but instead of augmenting it to a theology of scepticism (post modernism) you appear to have adopted the medieval, pre-Cartesian spirit of science. Not sure which one I prefer actually...

38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Chris: Just to inform you- Zero-point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may possess. And because it is the smallest unit of energy it can't be removed from a system. Light energy is far from the smallest form of energy.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 36yrs • M
Well I've never taken a chemistry class, and physics just bores the shit out of me. But please don't treat me like I'm some sort of retard. I know how to think, therefore if your concepts are explained, I will understand them. So don't worry about getting too technical. If you feel it necessary, I'd enjoy a reference given to whatever published material that might help me to understand your rebuttal.

Now summit, this Zero-Point energy you speak of. Are you insinuating that light is a different matter entirely? Or that light is made up from Zero-point energy? Because the smallest form of energy must only exist to give nothing meaning. Am I wrong? Also, how could you see the smallest form of energy if you're using it to see? The smallest form of energy must be theoretical, am I wrong again?

38yrs • M •
Ok, well everything is made of a form of matter (apart from anti-matter). Every matter is in the form of atoms. Within each atom there are moving sub-atomic particles. These subatomic particles have quantum fluctuations which are ripples that form the basis for energy in a vacuum. These quantum fluctuations pervade the fabric of space and time. Energy in the vacuum, though, is very much real. Note that space is not empty- all of space is filled with the quantized fields that make up a universe. A vacuum isn't a pocket of nothingness. It churns with unseen activity even at absolute zero- the temperature defined as the point at which all molecular motion ceases.

Exactly how much "zero-point energy" resides in the vacuum is unknown. Some cosmologists have speculated that at the beginning of the universe, when conditions everywhere were more like those inside a black hole, vacuum energy was high and may have even triggered the big bang. Today the energy level should be lower. But to a few optimists, zero point energy provides an infinite supply BUT if only we knew how to tap into it.

A uniformly accelerating observer will observe zero-point energy of the electromagnetic field as a thermal bath of real photons, in an effect known as the Unruh effect.

36yrs • M
But aren't atoms made up of even smaller particles? And couldn't those be made up of even smaller particles? Have we reached the end or do we only think we've reached the end?

Also...

"As Einstein showed, light is sort of central to our perception of the world, but instead of augmenting it to a theology of scepticism (post modernism) you appear to have adopted the medieval, pre-Cartesian spirit of science. Not sure which one I prefer actually..."

Can you elaborate on that? What is the pre-Cartesian spirit of science? What is the post modernism spirit of science? Forgive me for my ignorance, I just want to know what I'm supposedly thinking. And hell, how did Einstein show that light is central to our perception of the world (if it's too lengthy a description then just ignore this last sentence)?

38yrs • M •
Chris you didn't read properly....
quote:
Within each atom there are moving sub-atomic particles. These subatomic particles have quantum fluctuations which are ripples that form the basis for energy in a vacuum.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy