Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Philosophy of action

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wittgensteins is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Philosophy of action
Most people see philosophy as remote, esoteric and estranged from what they might consider to be 'reality', but this argument - if it is to be dignified with that title - ceases to have meaning when philosophy becomes moral. Of course, the word 'moral' is rather slippery nowadays, and tends be viewed in a purely negative sense: that is, it tells us what not to do but stays silent on the matter of what we should do. The core assumption of our avowedly Liberal Democratic modern societies is that there exists no basis for a positive morality or philosophy of action... the point in politics, law, bureaucracy etc etc is to affect the kind of neutrality which confers respect on a plurality of reasonable but irreconcilable moral viewpoints and allows them to coexist harmoniously. Etc etc. This thread calls this view into question. To kick things off, I'll quote Nietzsche's suggestion that we must turn to Socrates for such a philosophy of action:

"Socrates.-- If all goes well, the time will come when one will take up the memorabilia of Socrates rather than the Bible as a guide to morals and reason... The pathways of the most various philosophical modes of life lead back to him... Socrates excels the founder of Christianity in being able to be serious cheerfully and in possessing that wisdom full of roguishness that constitutes the finest state of the human soul. And he also possessed the finer intellect".

from Nietzsche's The Wanderer and his Shadow,s. 86, R.J. Hollingdale transl.

36yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that ChrisD is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I completely agree that if people turned to reason, or finding reason and really cared about finding the flaws in thier beliefs, this world would be a much better place. Surely Socrates can be named the founder of Virtue. I believe virtue contains the most respectable qualities in a human being. I also think virtue, when you boil it down, is just the qualities we tie to the human soul. Courage, justice... all of these things are the mark of incredible people. I am quite confident the days of organized religion are nearing an end with an age of reason emerging in the distance.

History has shown us that religion (or perhaps conflicting religions) usually results in wars and conspiracy. I, for one, am tired of it. Religious disputes are quite possibly the stupidest things I have ever heard of. Fighting over two non proven beliefs... Socrates is rolling in his grave.

"The truth will set you on fire"
Philosophy of action
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy