Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar. - Ana Rpo
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Evil exists; the devil does not

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Let us excuse semantics and the definition of words; after all:

'A word is know by the compnay it keeps'

To me evil is when something that opposes your set of beliefs or morals or principles causes, or is likely to cause, unhappiness to you. Because everyone's beliefs, morals or priciples vary, there is no universal definition of the cause of evil because it is variable. Thus, the devil doesn't exist as a singular entity because, although the effect is unhappiness, the cause will vary between two parties; what is good for one thing (e.g. food 'hunter' is bad for another (e.g. the food 'prey'.

Above and beyond this mod of thinking, which is materialistically realistic, there is a whole pool of variability which underlies the effect, but which if accessed allows one to FEEL why we THINK this way.

""No words""
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The devil can be interpreted differently. I can't prove to you that their is no personal devil, but I'd be lying if i said there was. i don't think the devil is the opponent of God, rather a manifestation of a darker shade that is to be liberated. The song from chitty-chitty bang bang fits well: 'For up from the ashes, grow the roses of success'. OkCityChild brought up the idea of two rooms; one dark one light, the idea being that if you open your darkened room the light spills into it and not the other way around. Now as to why the dark room exists; perhaps its necessary to accept and note from being players in the shades and colour of our experiences that its hard to understand this problem within a level of understanding inferior to it. Certainly, I don't know why; though I can sense vague proximity for reason (intuition).

Decius, you make a good point that people want and do not want essentially the same things. Whilst I do agree, in essence, the confusion between natural laws and secondary, educated information makes for individuals who do not do things following their own feelings, but marred by generalisations to specific instances, or specifics generalised to something that requires something simpler (e.g. puff out a quote someone made or make someones theory too simple). It is the pre-conditioned circumstances that generate these confusions.

Most humans, I believe, want to be happy for themselves and there immediate offspring; and of course for this to happen, they need to procreate. In this situation themselves is trying to mould who they are genetically into the society around them. Yes, at this level, humans are similar in what they want and do not want.

At NASA, when the monkies went to space and the ethics committe said is it wrong to send the monkies into space an astronaut said its okay; they dont know fear this because they don't know the risks involved in being sent to space; we do. With more undertsanding its natural to fear more; if you look at what could go wrong-which is what, strangely, is what 'maturity' is in this world, then Murphy's law will dominate.

Ok person enters situation. Said person experiences something. This something triggers unhappines. Said person sees this as evil.

What causes the emotion, the hurt? Is it evil? No, I suggest that its in the emotion attached to the experience-and this is in the personality of the individual. What causes the personality? Nature. Why? I dont know but I suspect that from hurt comes more realisation into the reason behind nature. Why he does this I really dont know. If you believe God exists, I suppose it is to become one with Him. If you dont, then ultimately I see no reason behind what we do.

As to the point that if people had the same hurt in the same situation; I'll try and explain this the best I can. Most people when faced with death over their beliefs will refute their beliefs. However, some will experience the pain just as much but be willing to die. Why? Because, if the level of understanding is deep enough then there is trust in ones own convictions. Even in the darkest of times theres a beackon if you wish to seek it. And I cant explain more other than some may use their bodies eye (which may deceive) some their minds eye (which can be accurate) but some their hearts eye (which is truth-but it hard sometimes to believe). Most of the greats lie somewhere between mind and heart; great moments surpass the minds ability to see evil.

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Evil is a warning tag...People who do evil are more at risk than someone who doesn't. If you have premarrital sex you're more likely to get an STD or get and accidental pregnancy. So someone said that's evil and forbidden because it can cause trouble in others down the road.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fairy Boy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Evil is just something defined by man to describe any action which causes physical or psychological harm.

As far a religion is concerned there is no evil who are we as mortals to make assumptions on behalf of a greater deity, there are always universal constants opposites of everything so it stands to reason there are two beings one likes a certain type of existence and the other another it doesn't mean that either is incorrect.

I can personally say that I am inexplicably drawn to a darker side of life, yet I am a caring person does that make me evil?

""Veritatem quaere et insaniam inveni""
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy