The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - ExplodingGopher
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

An intresting Question handed to me

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Would knowing our purpose of existance kill our desire to live?

I think it would drastically alter the way we normally conduct our day. not nessessarily kill our desire to live. Any thoughts?

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think if we knew our purpose, we would be very single minded. we would not lose the will to live, unless we knew our purpose was that we were going to cause the most horrific loss of human life or something like that. but we would completely ignore anything not realted to the furtherance of our purpose, children would be educated according only to the specific purpose that they were assigned, though i think it would have little effect on our social lives, as we would still want to enjoy ourselves.

however i think we would still want to live.

as an point of interest, would knowing we have no purpose kill our desire to live?

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well there mugen, i beleive i hav found my porpuse in living.
and that is to be happy. and no, id didnt kill my will. it made it stronger.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I think it depends on what you find out. If the purpose of our existence is horribal than perhaps you wouldn't want to exist anymore. But, if the existence is beautiful then it will only fuel the fire. My purpose is similar to Awakend's except it's to enjoy life regardless of what's happening.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well some people believe that their purpose is to do good and go to heaven.. if theres people who believe in a purpose such as that then they seem to want to contnue living

as long as we get pleasure out of life and fear death and not want to die then even if we knew a purpose i think wed still keep living.. unless death is some real life that we knew about wed kill ourselves here right now.. perhaps there are exceptions of possible purposes that would make uis choose that but im not sure

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
time for a short and sweet answer...

no.

34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
If the purpose of our existence is horribal than perhaps you wouldn't want to exist anymore. But, if the existence is beautiful then it will only fuel the fire.

Yeah I was kinda leaning towards something like that.. But for most people they have no idea what their purpose is and I strongly doubt there is one universal answer to our existence, so it's going to be a different answer for everyone you ask.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think we're unanimous on that one then.

to repeat my earlier question, would knowing we have no purpose makes us want death?

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Black Gold is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Consider the idea that the reason for living is so complex, that we could never fully understand it...
...or that it is so simple it could be related to so many things that we have such a great choice of what to do...
There's also the idea that what we do affects others so that we may well have joint missions in life...
... think about the Universal Consciousness, the feelings behind 'peer pressure', conjoined twins, etc.

"There is no negative one..."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
no such thing as anything you just said...

the simplicity theory is the way to go.

and you cant read up on it because its not published.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
to repeat my earlier question, would knowing we have no purpose makes us want death?

I think most people would lie to themselves before they would actually kill themselves.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The whole point of life is to not only fullfill our purpose, but to learn from all the experiences on the way, in order to get it right. I suppose it's like when you first learn maths in school, even if you knew the answers, the teacher always insisted we showed our "workings out", just to make sure we were using the right method and to make sure noone else told us the answer!! We get given all the rules and tools to achieve our aim in life, and if we use them the way that comes most naturally to us, we will succeed!!
But I do think that if we knew our purpose, and we didn't have to figure it out for ourselves, we wouldn't really learn anything from this incarnation, and it would simply take the fun out of it all.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy