Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Desperation, by Stephen King ***SPOILER***

User Thread
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cujo0424 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is just a general discussion for the book "Desperation" by Stephen King. Primarily, in search of some of the underlying messages in it. For example, on the hard-cover copy of the book from '97, the doll's eyes are red and blue, showing the red for violence, the blue for peace and civility and how they're clashing with the family's life as they enter Desperation. What was the purpose for the cat being nailed to the road sign? I've considered it possibly symbolizing (since cats are the free-roaming, casual, independant domestic animals) how the natural things roaming the town, the inependant people going about their normal business, have all been put to a brutal halt; that normality has been suspended in mid air. Clearly the child's (David's) discovery of religion has a major impact on the story, but what about the experiences of the other characters? Could the bag of pot with the smiley face the cop kept framing people with have meant something?

""Scared is not the right word...I'm frightened of it..."---Love & Death"
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can tell you I liked the book. The rest would be pure speculation and I'll leave that to you.

But I will say that right or wrong, you come up with good parables and analogies for possible double meanings.

Its a sign of a form of high intelligence...

as well as sciztophrenia, but those seem to pop up together a lot and I say embrace it if you have to.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 34yrs • F •
bliinky03i is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i thought the book was great..all of the peolpe being taken over by evil..marvelous..

but i dont know that there was some alterior meaning behind the story..although i cant say that i looked for one.. i just thought it was good reading....

"mY lIDE iS jUSt OnE vErY lOnG bLoNDe MomENt..iD leAbE my AsS bEhiND iF it WASnT perFEcTlY AttAcHEd To mY sTErNUm..hehehehe:)"
 33yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cujo0424 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What about the characters themselves? Was there anything in particular you liked or disliked about the characters?

Also, one of the key differences between King's other books and "Desperation" is the violence. This is definitely one of his most violence (maybe the most alongside of "Dreamcatcher" and "Cell". Did he handle the violence well, put it in the right places? The possessed cop pulling his tongue out and throwing it on the dashboard for example, and the other images of him falling apart, were these necessary?

""Scared is not the right word...I'm frightened of it..."---Love & Death"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy