The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one. - Wilhelm Stekel
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The "F" Word???

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
clunton is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
The "F" Word???
Firstly a bit of history,

The king of England at some point in the recent past (couple hundred years or so) placed a sign on the doors of his soldiers who were allowed conjugal visits which amounted to the acronym of "Fornicating Under Consent of the King".

Now some comtemporary...

"Do you think that based on the fact that the term fuck was penned by royalty it should be recognised as a simple four letter acronym for sex rather than an abusive, threatening, bleeped out word?"

So much money and time is spent on the censorship of a vowel and three consenants and i'm a little perplexed as to where our priorities lie as a species of mammal on this planet.

"My given name is Clinton Mark Lowe"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the use of the word should determine how it is treated, fuck has come to be used as a swearword, and should be treated as such.

many people would now object if you called them "gay" where as less than 40 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable to desribe someone as gay, as it meant happy.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Social acceptance. Fuck isn't socially accepted.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 46yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that Ironwood is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
the use of the word should determine how it is treated, fuck has come to be used as a swearword

First of all, what the fuck is a swearword? Hmmm? Any fucking clue? Hehe, don't mind me, I'm gonna have fun with this one.

What I've been able to determine is that a swearword is little more than an in sentence exclamation point. Hardly deserving a gasp, groan, or legal threat.

quote:
and should be treated as such.

Don't tell me what the fuck to do.

quote:
many people would now object if you called them "gay" where as less than 40 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable to desribe someone as gay, as it meant happy.

Yes, people are fucking idiots, we know, its not the words fault.

quote:
Social acceptance. Fuck isn't socially accepted.

Bull-fucking-sh*t (didn't want to offend).

The word is widely socially accepted. Ever been in the military, how bout to a jr. high school, ever seen pompous fuckwads calling themselves moral leaders speaking candidly? They'll teach you a thing or two about cussing.

Fuck all this censorship nonsense. Wanna hear a bad word. War, rape, torture, hmmm, and we hear those all the time.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M •
swearwords are little more than punctuation, but they are also words that for no particular reason have been deemed offensive.

most swearwords are only offensive because someone decided they were. or purely annoying because of some peoples inability to write or say anything without using fuck or shit every other word. there are far better things to deal with than trying to stamp out the use of these words in society. though constantly cussing people is stupid. fine swear around me, but dont sit there insulting me cos you dont have the brains to understand me or try to.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 46yrs • M
quote:
though constantly cussing people is stupid.

Matter of opinion, if someone were to deem the word "the" a swearword, we'd all be fucked.

quote:
fine swear around me, but dont sit there insulting me cos you dont have the brains to understand me or try to.

Not trying to undestand you, perhaps your point, if you ever make one. Otherwise, fuck you. Hypocrite, I could say the same for you, whether you have the brains to fucking realize and understand it or not.

Have a pleasant day, fucker.

"The Greatest Enemy of Knowledge is Not Ignorance, It is the ILLUSION of Knowledge. Stephen Hawking"
 36yrs • M •
does the first half of ur reply have anyhting to do with the quote?

the difference is the is never likely to be deemed a swearword.

has anyone ever noticed how fuck is the most versatile word in the english language? it is a verb, a noun, and with -ing on the end and adjective, as well as being an invective.

46yrs • M
quote:
does the first half of ur reply have anyhting to do with the quote?

Obviously not, both because of the fact that it addresses it directly as well as you having a hard time realizing it, apparently these things equate, in cynic-al's world, as having nothing to do with it.

quote:

And fuck was a likely candidate huh? Did we vote that in, cause I must have missed it.

I don't condone fuck as a swearword because it is sensitive due mainly to people's rediculous, IMO, sensitivity to sex. Which in turn is mostly because of religion and jealousy.

quote:
has anyone ever noticed how fuck is the most versatile word in the english language? it is a verb, a noun, and with -ing on the end and adjective, as well as being an invective.

God you amuse me, you are smart enough to realize such a very good point through an astute observation, yet you still call people stupid for utilizing its versatility. Good job.

36yrs • M •
when have i ever called people stupid for utilising its versatility? i merely complained that some people over use it, or use it in a place where its versatility is wasted.

fuck was a likely candidate, you explained why yourself, people are oversensitive towards sex and see it as a taboo subject, probably due to religion. whereas "the" has no such conatations.

by "constantly cussing people" i meant always directing insults at someone, rather than insulting them by using words they dissapprove of in general conversation. therefore "the" being a swearword would have no affect on people being constantly cussed. hence your comment having no relevance to the quote.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Haha leftwood how could fuck be socially accepted. They put everything on TV. Just look at the Jerry Springer show. What do they bleep out? Right the swear words. TV is broadcasted to more people in a minute or if your really popular an hour than you've seen in your whole life. So obviously the number of people who think it's offensive is greater than those that you've met saying it.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 46yrs • M
quote:
Haha leftwood how could fuck be socially accepted. They put everything on TV. Just look at the Jerry Springer show. What do they bleep out? Right the swear words.

Exactly, what are they putting on TV, a lot of shows cussing, either bleeping them or increasingly not. Why, because it gets ratings, why?

I say its socially accepted in the sense of the reality of the amount of people who casually use the words. Not because of legal restrictions placed on mass media.

quote:
TV is broadcasted to more people in a minute or if your really popular an hour than you've seen in your whole life. So obviously the number of people who think it's offensive is greater than those that you've met saying it.

You're ignoring very important facts. Some you are mentioning yourself.

Cuss words are protected by freedom of speach, just not in mass media that minors have access to and certain privately owned and governmental public venues.

TV shows that are bleeped are done so because of minors access to them.

Now, think about this for a second. What shows are the most bleeped?

Scripted shows adhering to media laws? No.

It used to be mainly movies that came to tv. But not anymore.

So what then you ask?

Reality television.

Does that mean anything to you?

I have met none of those people, but MOST of them cuss.

quote:
when have i ever called people stupid for utilising its versatility?

Sorry, I thought you realized that more versatile things are used more often. Making a joke of an existing irony at your expense.

But no you didn't bitch about the use of versatility itself.

And I happen to agree that people who cuss to that extreme degree are quite annoying.

quote:
fuck was a likely candidate, you explained why yourself, people are oversensitive towards sex and see it as a taboo subject, probably due to religion

And jealousy, and I should add insecurity.

quote:

That was a bad choice of words on my part in a pointless unformulated rant of frustration due to the usual confusing contradiction that accompanies many topics where something's contraversy lies in varying context.

Where so many people factually do it in private and treat is like cancer in public. Which also happens contextually and in response to multi faceted circumstance.

quote:
hence your comment having no relevance to the quote

That was the rant, my comment in relevance that I defended was...

quote:
Matter of opinion

quote:
by "constantly cussing people" i meant always directing insults at someone, rather than insulting them by using words they dissapprove of in general conversation.

Again, a situation of context, not all people that constantly cuss are insulting someone, and when they are, I simply submit that the real threat or insult is going to come outside of the exclamation that is a swearword. Yes the can use the word to inflame a situation, but its still the conflict that is an issue, not the word.

Another argument I have against censorship of such words is that it creates a greater sensitivity to the word. There gets to be a bit of a nature/nurture aspect to it.

And as you have stated, it is a versitile word, making it more useful, and not all negative and deserving censorship.

I think censoship defies and degrades people's need of being responsible for their own actions. One way is by blaming a word for hostility in an exchange that exists regardless of its use. Another is a sexual theme where it confuses the one's generally focused on being protected from it, by indicating sex is bad instead of sex being powerful, for adults, and an act that holds very important consequences that require responsibility. And it defies its usefulness as an exlcamation.

36yrs • M •
once a again your misunderstanding my use of english on that last bit.
"constantly cussing people" does not mean "people who constantly cuss" (or at least not if read in the correct gramatical use, though some people would use it to mean as much). i dont mind people swearing non-stop particularly, i just find it a bit annoying that they feel the need to punctuate their sentences with invectives, as it doesnt use their versatility, instead it means, that you take less notice, when they say it and mean it.

but im not argueing with you any more, i think we're starting to see that we are both saying some of the same things, but just getting confused about how.

46yrs • M
quote:
"constantly cussing people" does not mean "people who constantly cuss" (or at least not if read in the correct gramatical use, though some people would use it to mean as much)

Sorry, my dictionary doesn't support your use, it may be limited, please elaborate and or define.

quote:
instead it means, that you take less notice, when they say it and mean it.

I agree to an extent, however, I think context and inflection dictate that more.

36yrs • M •
constantly cussing people is a description of an action. the action "cussing" being done constantly to a group of people. i dont know how to explain it any better.

do you not agree that if someone says something along the lines of.
"put the fucking kettle on" when there is no anger or annoyance, it is just a request, not an order, there is no need for "fucking" in that sentence. it is wasting breath, and if the person then swears when angry, people are less likely to notice the extent of that anger, because of the persons use of the invective in everyday conversation. it is the same irritation as is caused by people who over use other words, for example always say "proper nice" instead of just "nice", rather than any objection to the word itself.

46yrs • M
quote:
constantly cussing people is a description of an action. the action "cussing" being done constantly to a group of people. i dont know how to explain it any better.

Please define cussing, I think we merely have an across the pond slang or definition discrepancy. Our definition does not support that phrase. Nor does a slang use of it.

quote:
do you not agree that if someone says something along the lines of.
"put the fucking kettle on" when there is no anger or annoyance, it is just a request, not an order, there is no need for "fucking" in that sentence.

No, but only because I don't see a lack of anger or annoyance, at least grumpiness, crudeness, or intended aggrivation. As opposed to it being used arbitrarily in truly non threatening banter between friends etc. Like In a situation where the listener is not the subject or recipient of the word. Like "I went to this fucking store yesterday, and man was the clerk a fucking bitch." There is perhaps any possible combination of anger or simple exclamatory use, but its not threatening to the recipient, whereas your example is, not personally but as part of the request demand with the strong and potentially offensive use.

quote:
and if the person then swears when angry, people are less likely to notice the extent of that anger, because of the persons use of the invective in everyday conversation.

Again, inflection and context. But sure, some muddying of intention can occur.

quote:
for example always say "proper nice" instead of just "nice", rather than any objection to the word itself.

Sorry friend, that one's kind of on you guys, never hear that here unless mocking or imitating you guys. But I get your meaning. Again though, its an exclamation. Added emphasis. But in accordance with your point of overuse, it will create a dependance to say it, because otherwise the word nice alone loses valued meaning. Except of course through obvious inflection.

The "F" Word???
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy