Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Chances are high when it comes to rape

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
A study found 60% of Canadian university-aged males said they would commit sexual assault if they were certain they wouldn't get caught.

1 in 4 women are at the risk of rape or attempted rape in her lifetime.

1 in 8 women will be sexually assaulted while attending college or university.

I could understand the statistics concerning college students since sex is a part of college culture, but that still doesn't stop me from freaking out. I am REALLy disturbed by this.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Do you believe everything you read?

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Ancient is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My issue is why do you think women aren't constantly calling the police? I think that it can be an instinctual thing to rape... some women though on the higher levels are hurt.. deep down are ok with it. Just a thought.

"Dark and silent and complete."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
slightly off track i know, but we are descended from apes. My sister was watching a program on chimps, and i was interested in the way that they treat their women. for them, rape is part of life, if you watch human society we have slowly progressed from that stage. the apes found a fertile female, and fought over her and had their way with her, though the one how won the fight would stop others getting at her. humans formalised this into marriage, a mans wife was his possesion, and his daughters were his to give to another man. but they would protect their own wives and daughters from other men they did not give their permission to. this has slowly developed into the way society runs now, with women counted as equals, and having the right to refuse a man etc.

it seems to me, that some of our basic way of looking at women, has not changed, it is only the social construct at the forefront of our minds that controls us. it may also explain both the male and female responses to rape.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
Women also claim rape for outside reasons. Girls often will call rape if they feel used. Some do it for money, just look at Kobe. Others do it because they want attention. Some were in a different state of mind(intoxication) and during that state they really did want to have sex. Women often have the tendency to lie to themselves to make things true. Some would rather have felt they had gotten raped than admit that the following had actually happened.

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that mindfields19 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I find that very unamusing Jacker. Check your facts next time. Perhaps you don't know quite as much about women as you would like to think you do. Let's not use rumor-has-it's on this type of subject. The FACT (statisticly) is that every two and a half minutes in America, someone, male or female, is sexually assaulted. More significant to the nature of this thread, 1 in 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape. 44% of which are under the age of 18. That is disregarding the number of victims PROVEN to be false. You can't use biased opinion to argue with proven statistics - the opinion has already been taken into account.

"In the beginning, night was memory was water, and in the cool aquamarine depths dreams swam freely."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Here's something else to think about- could these percentages be norms throughout the world? Or is it dependant on the cultural attitudes alone?

Here's something else to debate- "I'd rather be a second wife than a mistress." I read this quote of somewhere.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
The definition of "rape" is highly vague. What rough sex is to one person is rape to another. What being manipulated legitimately to one person is rape to another. What prostitution is to one person is rape to another.

Rape is non-consensual sex. That's not a complicated definition.

quote:
Should women who put themselves at unnecessary risk have the same rights to claim rape as those who took precautions and were still raped?

What difference does it make? You sound as though you advocate the idea that "women are asking for it". Why can't a man assume responsibility for his own actions? If a woman is more vulnerable or more of a target is that any excuse for the man's bad behaviour?

quote:
However, we view rape as a violent word whereas a majority of rapes occur by men who know the women personally. In such circumstances, violence isn't as likely as situational manipulation.

Does emotional violence not count?

quote:
Men don't say they would rape women. THey say if a woman was passed out in their bed would they consider taking advantage of her. That's quite different than what we consider to be "Rape", but is still categorized as rape.

Again that is non-consensual sexual activity which is rape.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
ill agree with etheral on quite a lot of that. but with the case of putting yourself in danger, if you read decius's example, id say that the hammered girl has a lot less right to cry rape. chances are that she said yes, but just regretted it in the morning. thats not rape, thats 100% her own fault.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
Statistics are the most under rated form of proving means. All surveys, calculations, tallies cost money. When they put people in charge of such organizations they run it like a business. For instance a feminism group gets a study that finds that rape is on the increase in Ontario. That group will now get more funding to help raise awareness of rape in the community. So obviously they will embellish the truth as much as possible for the bigger the problem the bigger the paycheck.

Also do you really think they go as in depth as they claim they do. In order for them to do it the survey would have to be around 100 questions. They also would have to go through each case individually and examine each person psychologically. They either surveyed a small group of people or this is like a multi billion dollar survey.

36yrs • M •
quote:
Rape is non-consensual sex. That's not a complicated definition.

It's not the rape part it's the sex part. What you consider sex may differ from what others think sex is.

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
chances are that she said yes, but just regretted it in the morning. thats not rape, thats 100% her own fault.

A hammered person cannot consent. Therefore it doesn't matter what she said because clearly she was not in her right mind.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
these are just thoughts on the subject.

quote:
1 in 4 women are at the risk of rape or attempted rape in her lifetime.

what the hell does at risk mean? isnt every person in the world at risk of getting raped?
quote:
My issue is why do you think women aren't constantly calling the police? I think that it can be an instinctual thing to rape... some women though on the higher levels are hurt.. deep down are ok with it. Just a thought.

actually i have had a thing with a girl that once told me that she wanted to get raped. not that she wanted the shit beat out of her, just that she realy enjoyed forced sex. it realy turned her on. she said that it was because she couldnt do anythign about it and that she had to just take it. she was also into bondage.
quote:
it seems to me, that some of our basic way of looking at women, has not changed, it is only the social construct at the forefront of our minds that controls us. it may also explain both the male and female responses to rape

we are not apes. we are intelligent. and aware.
quote:
Some do it for money, just look at Kobe
this is extremely rare.
quote:
Some were in a different state of mind(intoxication) and during that state they really did want to have sex

i hae found that when i am drunk i tend to not think. how about you? this means, i think, that i do what i want at the time with no regarde for conseqeunces. now if a girl wants to have sex, by the way you can usually tell if you know what i mean, then they want to have sex. now im not saying i have a perfect understanding of the female body, perhaps those bodily reactions still ocour even though they have no real desire to have sex, but if they are laughing and smiling and having fun, they want to have sex. so if they are drunk and fuck some guy, the guy holds no responsibility, i beleive, unless his intentions were to get her drunk and bang her. even then it is doubtful if he holds responsibility because there is no way of telling. there is on the other hand a way of telling if the girl wanted to have sex. unfurtunatley the only person that we could ask this qeustion to would be the guy that had sex with her.
and people porpously get drunk so that way they can do things they normally couldnt. ever hear of a phrase called "courage in a bottle?"
quote:
sexually assaulted.

i got in trouble at work for sexually assualting someone. not a lot of truoble, just a "dude!" kinda thing. but this is what happend. and you have to beleive me. i am being honest.
i was doing the dishes and one of the waitresses bumbed into me and made me drop a plate. she didnt say anything at all and pretended that it didnt happen. i then gave her a playfull push. i put my hands on the front part of both her shoulders. it wasnt even enough to stagger her. keep in mind i have practices steadly with my brother on the most effective way to push someone down. i am good at it. as i did this i said "oh what? you want some? i didnt think so!" and it was in a very goofy and stupid sounding voice. she got mad at me and told me to apologize for pushing her, or she would get me in trouble. i told her to go fuck herself.

those are the people that you are getting your statistics from. not people that are actually getting severlly sexually assualted. i have a freind that was forced to give oral sex to a guy that she was going out with in a public place. she didnt tell anybody because
1. she was horrified
2. she was embaressed
3. she didnt hink anybody would beleive her
now. why 3. because of people like that bitch at work.

quote:
The definition of "rape" is highly vague

agreed to a point. as far as people and morals go, yes. but law is something else. i am not sure how it is in canada. (not being a smart ass here) but in america it is very clear that any act, what so ever, that has anything to do with sex is sexually assault/harrasment. i have a freind that shot i hair tie at a girl and he was almost yaken to court over sexuall harassment. and it was clear in the papers that that particular act was sexuall harasment. it is almost impossble to get convicted of harrasment. it will almost always be sexuall if it is from the opposite sex.
quote:
Being raped is an attractive state of mind for women
once again it is a horrible thing that we have to use catagorizations in something so serious as this, but unfurtunatly we must say women.
quote:
Is it rape it a woman says yes, yes, yes, then no just as the man is about to orgasm? Most people suffer temporary insanity the moment they orgasm (or are about to) so can a man be held liable for such "rape"?
very interesting and in light of this new evidence, fuck no it isnt.
quote:
Should women who put themselves at unnecessary risk have the same rights to claim rape as those who took precautions and were still raped?

should the weak and stupid be left behind? or should we help all poeple regardless of how smart they are.
quote:
The statistic of rape is grossly overexaggerated
i dont beleive so. i do beleive that the people who are reporting the crimes are not always honest, but what about the girls that dont? there are a lot.
quote:
THey say if a woman was passed out in their bed would they consider taking advantage of her
that is not rape, that is carelessness. but he should be punished all the same.
quote:
Does emotional violence not count?
no it doesnt. it cannot be measured nor can it be expressed with out doubt of severuty. its just not possible.
quote:
A hammered person cannot consent. Therefore it doesn't matter what she said because clearly she was not in her right mind.
is the right state of mind for a guy wanting to fuck the shit out the female that is naked and in his bed? i dont think so. i dont really have that problem, but all the same i dont know every person. and i dont think i go in that temperary insanity thing. what if a guy does switch back to that primal thing we all have inside us. sex has been reletivly unexplored for the most part, at least in public eyes, so it woul dmake sense that we still have some of those instincts.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My wife tells me that there is a new trend in middle school called knuckle crushing. A girl will put her fist down on a table and a boy will push down on her elbow crushing her knuckles until they bleed, and this is supposed to be cool.

Something is very wrong when hurting another person is cool. The boy hurts the girl, the girl lets him and its cool.

I somehow stumbled into the twilight zone.

You want to hear something really ugly - In Darfur there are only women and children left and they are raped.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sudan/story/0,14658,1689172,00.html

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 36yrs • M •
quote:

With that logic than no one has responsibility for anything while being intoxicated.

1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy