If you talk to God, you are praying. If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. - Thomas Szasz
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How has coming here affected you?

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Coming to this website, discussing anything and everything with anyone and everyone. How has it affected you?

My eyesight has become worse. The text is too darn small.

I use fewer words. I can focus more on a topic and ramble less (both in the "real"world and here.)

I'm more critical. And paranoid.

I don't resort to sarcasm to hurt people anymore (thanks to the "Why are intelligent people so sarcastic" thread.)

MUCH more open-minded and tolerant.

I feel more certain when speaking.

Learned how to prove myself with reason better.

Just to name a few.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have become wiser.

I have become better at expersing myself.

I have become less sarcastic as well.

Most of all I have a constant source of out letting for my soul and it's non-stop philosophical thought.

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
definetly LESS sarcastic. not saying that im still not, but i dont really mind that much.

quicker at the whole argue thing.

better reasoning.

more respectfull.

i can point out weaknesses a lot better.

im better at helping people and giving advice

just to name a few.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Less arguementative in the real world, i can come here and sensibly debate a topic, rather than argueing with my friend, because he refuses to accept that his views could possibly be wrong.

i think more about things, i used to think about things in reasonable depth, but now i have other perspectives to apply to the topics of thought.

unfortunately i cant claim to have become any less sarcastic.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I feel that I have become more sarcastic and argumentative. Maybe a little more thought put forth towards my actions.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • M •
think i agree with the more thought before action thing.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 35yrs • M
really?
i dont.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Vortex271 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Slightly more cynical than before. Actually i think more than I used to, which is a plus...I geuss...

""As I sit before the fire, I wonder how many before myself have been burned.'"
 36yrs • M •
yeah, i think i do think more before i do stuff. i think about some of the stuff, we have talked about on here, and consider some of the situations ive been in that it applies to.

35yrs • M
im not saying i dont think things out, just taht i always have.
maybe this has got me better, i dont know. i think it has.

36yrs • M •
i tended to think things out before i did them, but coming here has made me think more.

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
coming here has made me realize (to an even greater degree) my own ignorance as well as the ignorance of others. it has lessoned my hatred toward others, but solidified and further justified my distaste in the human race as a whole. just like in the real world, people online claim to have compassion, yet are even more quick to judge one another with this wall of protection and anonymity known as the internet.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 45yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Restless Mind is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have been here for a really long fucking time. Well actually since the beginning of the whole UGN.

I have seen alot of threads and seen a lot of people come and go.

From what I have learned is that people usually do no have any justification to their points in an argument.

People generally are ignorant beyond belief. Unwilling to accept new/different ideas and move on. They would rather sit here and banter on with stupid arguments.

I find when there are certain users that come by and see how well things flow around here as in the non-acceptance of BS they try to disrupt the flow thus drawing negative attention to themselves. Rather than contributing to the site and getting attention that way.

I have found that alot of people come here to fade away their real life because they are un-willing or unable to face the real world where someone could actually speak back to them. Thus hiding on the internet.

I feel that UG has become a haven for religious topics and that has steered me away from posting much. I think the threads have gone a little down hill as far as worthy content to read. I have seen the same subjects come up and up again to the point where I want to yell at everybody and tell them to use the search function. yet another form of ignorance.

There are too many topics that are being used as a safe haven for some users as they feel comfortable involving themselves in 1 subject and not moving on to new topics. I will be locking a few threads to try to move forward here.

As far as topics go. I must put myself into the spotlight and say I haven't been very contributing and I shall try to change that starting now. Which leads me to another thing I have learned is that people come here to UG looking for some direction and a place to talk about many subjects not just religion or random pictures.

Anyways.....

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I'll second everything Wyote said.

I'm finally accepting reality. Life isn't as grand as I thought it was.

I'm able to focus on the bigger picture better.

I'm less likely to go off on tangents when speaking. And less likely to argue about the semantics (and thus go off topic.)

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Before I came here, I didn't think I had an opinion or belief. Just unsure about everything.

I'm discovering I do have some beleifs and opinions. And I do know a few things for a fact.

My ability to communicate with others have improved.

I can't say however that I've learned a lot or that I've taught anybody anything - I guess that isn't what this is about. It's about sharing and putting your inner self in order.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy