Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How to tell her that looks aren't important

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
16-year-old high school student intensely focused on her looks. Not strong enough to break free from peer pressure. How do you tell a person like this that looks aren't important? She's hurting herself over this. She's skinny and does what she can to gain weight, but loses hope after many attempts and wants to commit suicide.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
You say "looks are not important". If you want her to understand the words then you must wait for her to be ready to do so. People can only understand things when they see a need to. You can tell them something a hundred times but it won't be understood until circumstances corespond to spoken words.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Get her to hang out with someone who's ugly but has a great personality. Show an example. People these days "need to see it to believe it". Until she believes it she won't desire to change.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • F •
She tried to hang out with a fat girl for one day, butr couldn't continue the second day because of peer pressure. She ties self-worth to popularity, but she isn't completely superficial. She's just wrapped up in high school culture.

I know I can't tell her to stop caring about her looks. But there are ways I can influence her. That is what I need help with.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Lead by example

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
She tried to hang out with a fat girl for one day

Well at least she reached. It's a lot to give a reach and shows a desire to change. Sometimes people take the long way in solving problems. Does taking a short cut make someone better? Does the amount of time matter more than the solution? Like I've said before people live under different circumstances. For some people it's easier to hang out with a fat girl and others may think it's fun but regardless people with different circumstances could have a sort of handicap in a certain sector of their life. This girl is trying to improve hers. I think that takes something.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How you can help this girl depends on how well you know her. im presuming you must now her fairly well to care this much, and also to know what you do. but id say just try and be there for her, be a shelter from peer pressure, or any other type of pressure. if she is trying to change encourage her, but dont push her or she may decide she doesnt want to. if you dont know as more than an acquaintance, get to know her better, provide her with a friend whos not wrapped up in popularity.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • F •
True. I'm trying to get her to be more secure by taking up some sort of leadership position where she can gain confidence to do things her own way. Looks just happen to be where she's directing her insecurity.

Thanks for the advice. Any more would be welcome.

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy