Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Definition of Smart - Page 2

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The term 'smart' is another word for intelligence.

Intelligence is the brain's cognitive ability. Intelligence involves one's mental capacity to learn, solve problems, reason, plan, think abstractly, and comprehend ideas and language.

Heres one credible approach to intelligence:

Intelligence is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability for comprehending our surroundings-"catching on", "making sense" of things, or "figuring out" what to do

Obviously different psychologists define or perceive 'intelligence' differently.

Heres another definition of Intelligence from "Intelligence: Knowns and Unknowns" a report of a task force convened by the American Psychological Association

Individuals differ from one another in their ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to the environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning, to overcome obstacles by taking thought. Although these individual differences can be substantial, they are never entirely consistent: a given person's intellectual performance will vary on different occasions, in different domains, as judged by different criteria. Concepts of "intelligence" are attempts to clarify and organize this complex set of phenomena

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I have always been taught that everyone is smart in a different way and my experience in the military, living and working closely with others I have found this to be true.

One particular individual, if you didn't know, you'd think he was retarded. But he went to just about every Navy school there was and he past them all top of the class. They sent him to all these schools believing he would fail and they could get rid of him because he made a poor leader. He used to come up to me and ask the dumbest of questions and I used to get angry with him explaining to him that he knew the answer.

While I knew another who grew up in a Korean orphanage and could not read but was extremely disciplined always giving advice, and we all quickly learned that his advice was good, he baffled us many times. He seemed to just know things most of us couldn't know.

To be successful in accomplishing a mission, a good leader recognizes that each person has a special gift to contribute to the mission.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
The Definition of Smart - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy