Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Whatever needs to be discussed - Page 2

User Thread
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
1- The community that surrounds you
Can you say that that Yankess suck if you live in a hardcore Yankee neighborhood?

2- Reason (to some extent)
People argue that Christianity is a flawed religion because it asserts that one man/God can suffer for crimes he didn't commit, which is against the basic justice system.

3- Conformity
"If everyone is doing it, it must be right."

Those come to my mind. I won't call myself a religious fanatic, but this is what I determined from reading literature by fanatics.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the illusion is called faith

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
God only exists if we believe in him, so if we don't believe in him, he fails to exist?This is faulty logic though. 1000 years ago, people didn't believe in microbes, so would that mean microbes didn't exist? I could understand how the "life is a miracle" theory works though. It claims that we don't have the abilities to perceive everything, so we can't deny the existance of anything.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Christianity is the only religion that doesn't follow the basic religious outline. There are no rituals that must be done in order to gain approval there is no person who would be denied acceptance by God if that person chose it.

As far as it being more right it all depends on what the other gods can do if they have any power at all. I once called out to the known gods I could think of and got no reply save one and that was from God (as in the Christian God)

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M
thats not how it works.1000 years ago, people couldnt prove that microbes existed, so when people told other people that they did they were regarded as crazy. we can now prove that microbes exist. we can not, and acoording to the bible will never be able to, prove that god exist's until judgment day. and that wont make much of a difference because that will be the day the hell literally breaks out.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 35yrs • M
quote:
Christianity is the only religion that doesn't follow the basic religious outline

excucse me
quote:
There are no rituals that must be done in order to gain approval

i dont know, maybe church every sunday. ten percent of your money and time is also supposed to go to the church
quote:
no person who would be denied acceptance by God if that person chose it.

this may just be the chatholics, and this may not even pertain to this, but...suicide. you go to hell if you commit suicide. and asking for it means doing exactly what he says. that doesnt really soun like a favor to me.

"oh god. pleae let me do everything you ask me to. please please please."

that sounds a lot like a cult to me.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Baptism is also a ritual.
And when they sprinkle water on the foreheads of babies when they are born.
I don't know about praying.
I guess it could be considered a ritual also.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 39yrs • M •
quote:
i dont know, maybe church every sunday. ten percent of your money and time is also supposed to go to the church

Maybe you should have read the whole comment. "There are no rituals that must be done in order to gain approval " None of the rituals have anything to do with gaining approval of God or anyone else.

Mortal sins or whatver the Catholics call them are not accurate. While suicide is not something that Christians condone it still will not disqualify you from entrance to Heaven provided you have accepted God.

quote:
and asking for it means doing exactly what he says.

So? You either be a willing servent of a God who will give you all good things, or be a slave to a life that will leave you empty and broken.

quote:
And when they sprinkle water on the foreheads of babies when they are born.

This isn't a Christian practice

Praying could be a ritual as much as it is ritual for you to talk with your friends or family.

35yrs • M
then you admit that the chritian religion has a ritual.

39yrs • M •
I never said it didn't have rituals. What I said is that the rituals make no difference to salvation

32yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that godisnotanidea is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Exactly. Also, giving 10% of your money to the church is a practice that not all Christians follow. While all agree that giving money is good, most people don't believe 10% tithing applies to Christianity. It is a remnant of the Jewish faith, when the money went to the Levites and priests who were forbidden to hold jobs or own regular property. Tithing was their only income and means of getting food. This practice allowed them to devote their lives to God without being tempted by material goods, as they could not add to their income in any way. And praying is only a ritual if you consider talking, or any form of communication a ritual or just pray the exact same thing over and over, like some cults do. And if communicating is a ritual, it's a very good one, because if people didn't enjoy it, this website wouldn't exist. and as to sprinkling water on the foreheads of babies when they are born, that is just a form of baptism. It is the one used at my church, in fact. And, yes, there are no mortal sins that make you condemned to Hell. That is only a Catholic belief, as is Pugatory and the belief that the Pope is as powerful as the Bible and is never wrong. (Purgatory is the place where, in the Catholic denomination, it is believed saved people go before Heaven, where their sins are clensed from them by punishment. This is only a Catholic belief, as I believe all other denominations believe Jesus is all that is necessary)

"Truth is not relative. It is unchanging and eternal"
 32yrs • M •
As to the belief that if Christians are wrong, nothing happens, I believe that was referring to mostly Atheism, and it is more about the afterlife then this life. And this is true for most religions, anyways. Buddhists, to the best of my knowledge, believe that virtue is what matters, in which case Christians do quite well, as long as they actually believe, and aren't "Sunday Christians", people who go to church and act nice on Sunday, but not on the other 6 dayys of the week. I'm not sure about Hinduism, but I don't think they believe in Hell or something like eternal death either. Judaism is simply Christianity without Jesus, which can easily enough be solved using Jewish prophecy. (The chances of someone filling all 500+ prophecies are easily around 1:100,000,000,000+, and Jesus is the only person who meets all of them, including the one about the Jews rejecting him, which is obviously fulfilled by Judaism being around today.) Islam is another offshoot of Judaism, believing that Muhhammad (sorry about spelling) is the supreme prophet of Allah (God). Muhhammad never did any miracles, and was only a brilliant (I admit it) military leader. He currently lies dead in a grave. Jesus body, on the other hand, still has not been found. Christians know why, while everyone else is clueless. If I missed anything, please tell me and describe the religion briefly so people know what it is. From these four, obviously it is either safe to choose Christianity or Christianity is more likely.

37yrs • M •
Or it is just as likely as anything else including you are dreaming or your in the Matrix! foo jk
Much <3

32yrs • M •
My point remains. If life is not real, what is the consequence of being wrong?

37yrs • M •
You can't know.
Until you die of course! And even then you might not know.

Whatever needs to be discussed - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy