A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom - cutencuddly
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Age/sex make us feel different about posts?

User Thread
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Fin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Does it help or hurt to know what age and sex the people on here are? Personally i think it does a little of both. It lets us look at things from an objective view ( Ohh well of course she'd say that, or he's only 10 he doesnt know a thing) but this hurts it as well because then we could have read something that we brush off simply because of these factors, when if we heard it from someone we knew nothing but a name about we would be all for it.

"Everyone is anyone at anytime."
 38yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that neuterdbynature is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I really try to understand the point one makes. If it is well explained and the person has a way of backing up their points of view, I try not to brush it off. Even it its gross, sexist, racist or bigoted. One must not rush judgment on the unknown but look at it with an open mind. Besides even the youngest of minds are wiser than the oldest of heart. <=at least it is how I feel.....

"What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive"
 36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I do judge people's statements based on their sex in threads about feminism. But I don't let it stand in my way of accepting what's logical.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
as a general rule i dont even look at whose posting before i read. i try to get an initial unbiased reaction to it before i look at who it is. then after that i look at who it is and try to understand why they posted what they did. at the same time i try to take into account the fact that people do lie about their info. most of the time its easy to tell if their lying, but some are a bit tricky.

its a somewhat useful tool, but not really all its cracked up to be.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
well, for me it doesn't matter if the person posting is male, female, 12 or 50. Sometimes 13 year olds have posted here, and on things like time etc, while 36 yearolds have acted like complete fags....

But it does affect one somewhat. But I don't think it affects the actual post.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i agree with wyote, i just tend to read the posts, and then look back at who posted it after ive finished reading. even then i hardly ever look at age, i did in this one, just because it was about age. age doesnt really bother me about people posting, as im in the younger age group, there are some younger than me, but mostly im among the youngest on here.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Anyone who wants to post can, regardless of age and gender. Generally by just reading the post one gets an impression on the person. I think it helps when giving advice and such for you grasp a better understanding of the situation. But as far as affecting my judgment it isn't so. I think if someone aged 25 created a new account and said they were 16, it wouldn't or hopefully shouldn't change the perspective of the person.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From what I have seen on here, To me age doesn't really matter... I think I've seen ages 16-30+ posting in here and everyone from time to time seems to be well educated and "think before they speak"
Gender. I could care less.. If you have something good to say It shouldn't matter whether you're a male or female //

That's what I think counts... If you've looked into something you want to discuss or ask about then It really doesn't matter how old you are ^_^;

I mean, I'm only 16 and I try to keep up with conversation on this forum hahha..

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MJClone is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Seems like its a unaimous cry sex dosn't matter but the age still has alot riding on it.

I have a problem with age just because my father has a problem with it. I have had some of the same thoughts and feelings towards alot of issues and experinces some of the younger posters post on and reply about. Some very very very intelligent but I still become biased because of age; I don't know if they got thier information from an older adult or actually lived out what they are talking about. I think that everyone should be allowed to post though. Age and Sex shouldn't matter but for me I still have that stigma of age no experince no matter what you been through.

"what if I'm a clone?"
 47yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that tommybc98 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can see how age can be a gray area here...
In some discussions, questions asked by people under 20 practically beg for wisdom from somone over 40. If nothing else, who else has lived long enough to have thought about it long enough? On the other hand, on many intellectual issues based on provable fact, one should not be disregarded or granted merit based on their age.

A similar point can be made for gender.

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i can agree that often it is harder to take note of what younger people say, because they lack the experience, i know im one of them, but in other situations it can be annoying when someone younger that you has an opinion strongly opposed to your own, and you tend to disregard it as you dont think they have enough experience to pass judgement.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 37yrs • F •
parrill2006 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
what are you peaple trying to say to others It doesnt really make you different about posts

"whats up"
 69yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that willowwater is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Personally, age or sex doesn't matter to me when I read a post. But I do think it somewhat influences me when posting a reply, as I word things differently depending if the person is older or younger than myself.

31yrs • M •
tyrantofthought is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I look at the age and sex not to be biased on their intelligence or maturity, but to gauge how much experience they might have and so I don't mistake them for the opposite sex of what they are. Although I'm sure many people brush off comments based on young age, but thats a loss for them. Some teenagers have more experience on whatever topic their talking about than the reader, and so should have a respected opinion. Besides, maturity isn't quite based on age, its based on understanding.

"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul - A man no different from you and me"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy