Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Conditon of the average American - Page 2

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
conway: im glad you have read my whole post
we have every right to pursure happiness and our well being as long as it doesnt infringe on others pursuit of happiness and well being
which covers murder, theft, abuse, belittlement, etc.

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Conway is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sleepingwraith

"we as a sociey know that people who think this are wrong." Yes our society is a bunch of monkeys. But do we still not "for the most part" all agree that killing is wrong.
"there is a wrong way and a right way to receive happiness". Dude don't be stupid. Are you saying that you never got a thrill out of doing something you know you weren't supposed to do. In fact that's often why we do things were not supposed to do. Right!!!
"And that is what philosophy is all about. To discover the ultimate happiness of our souls." Once again wraith you are being a dumbass. Ask yourself what is the reason we ask the questions Who are we? and What do we want? It is because we all want to "live in a heaven (whatever that maybe for you), and heaven is a place of everlasiting happiness. So then, and therefore, it is true that the prupose of philosophy is for the ultimat happiness of our souls.

thank you

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 37yrs • M •
agreed without all the personal slander aye.

39yrs • M •
Navin

I did not disagree with you on the "murder thing"
I was disagreing with you on the "we have to accept people not accepting it."

""So this is where im supposed to wright something snazy and truthfull?"-impossible."
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
regardless of what you think you know about life, remember that you are just as ignorant of the truth (assuming, course such a thing exists) as the next person, and you wont feel out of place

"dont got one"
 39yrs • M •
wholly.

There does however come a time, when you have reached a certain basic understanding about God. And that is the beleif that nothing in the world, is a higher goal then to always attempt to reach a full understanding about God. (even though we can not in this life reach that point).

But all in all I agree that a certain degree of humility is needed. And maybe I should hone mine a little bit better

36yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Attolia is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Materialism distracts us. Some people find a false sense of security in materialism and don't want to let go.

Instead of feeling out of place (like I did in high school), I feel like I am in the right place and that I just need to find the right person at the right time. I went to an empty room in my college and two guys were talking about some moral issue regarding biases in employment (too bad I didn't have time to join them.)

A lot of philosophical people walk by you every day and you just don't know it. Some are scared to show themselves as being philosophical. I bet if I met most of you on the street, I wouldn't regard you as deep thinkers because you'd be talking about the same things as everyone else.

"How can we be just in a world without mercy and merciful in a world without justice?"
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I disagree with the purpose of philosophy being about searching for happiness. It is what occured when science failed. People set out to understand their world and their place in it, science was only able to help with some of that, so philosphy comes in to try and fill in the gaps. I know this is a byline in the discussion but i thought i'd throw it in anyway.

"What is true power?"
 37yrs • M •
i think its the other way around, philosophy was around way before science.
When we could not all come to an understanding on life people started to pursue science thinking it would provide more concrete answers. But like others have said on this forum science must be viewed in the mind that scientist are people. Subject to politics, regulations, biased, and even self fulfillment.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
science is a philosophy

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 37yrs • M •
to a degree, but science relies on fact, experimantations, philosophy relies on thought, experiences.

44yrs • M •
I will agree to a point, philosphy began science but is ompletely different. Philosophy brings out hidden truths that science cannot describe.

"What is true power?"
 39yrs • M •
Azhrei

Yes it brings out hidden truths but ask youself , "what are these truths". They are the truth of existence, the truth of reality, and the truth on God. I have said that philosophy is the search for inner happiness. This is only wrong if the ultimate truths (of these things) is not happiness. And if it is not then I hope that it is all something higher that we as humans can not even fathom. And I suppose that in a way I want the ultimate truth to be happiness. Is that wrong? Glad to hear yall's opnion on that one.

44yrs • M •
quote:
And I suppose that in a way I want the ultimate truth to be happiness.

That's compicated, what exactly is happiness? Can happiness even exsist without knowing evil? Can you recanize the light without ever having seen the darkness?

That may not be completely on point, i am sorry if it is not....but trying to say that philosophy is the pursuit of happiness, you have to know what happiness is.

Also, i like where this thread is going.

"What is true power?"
 39yrs • M •
Then is we go with that Azhrei then it would seem likely that to be in the ultimate happiness we have to experience the ultimate darkness? This is a lot like my other thread sorry. Things tend to get off point

Conditon of the average American - Page 2
  1    2    3  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy