A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

All Religions are paths to god

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that St. Jimmy is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
It seems to me that all religions are paths to god, which means that all religions are equal in a sense.
Thoughts?

"He who does not question is lost."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
no necescarlly budisim doesn't belive in a god and it is one of the top five religons in the world, they belive in enlightenment. also some people could descrpe atisem as a religon but that doesn't belive in a god so umm yeah im going to have to politlly disagree with that statment.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Not all religions entitle a deity. Buddhism (as eliasan mentioned) and Taoism for example.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Navin is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
why is God limited to religions with a deity? If God is the existance of faith, regardless of your interpertations, i do believe all religions are the same.
well except for religions who idolize death, destruction, hatred. etc.
God to me is the fact of life, the ability to will, my guiding conscience.

"To kill man's hope is to kill man"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that isilomir is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I would argue that all the religions, including the destructive ones, are paths to something higher than oneself. In Buddhism it's enlightenment, in Christianity it's God, Islam is Allah, Satanism is Satan and so forth. You might not agree with what that person is trying to get close to by following their path but they are on a path of some sort.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
 37yrs • M •
all things are paths to something i agree. but beliefs that are not grounded in the idea of good will and humility arent on the same path to the same god. woudl you agree?
however i do feel that ALL religions that promote self worth and peace are of the same god. woudl you agree with that?

37yrs • M •
I would say that no religion is on the path to the same god as any other religion. I think everyone has their own personal god that they strive to reach throughout their life. While organized religion provides archetypes and ideals for people to strive for, they are only generalizatoins. Everyone takes those ideas and processes them on their own to come up with their own unique deity. I would say that all those religions founded on the so-called virtues are leading towards similar gods, while the same holds true for the so-called vices.

"Balance comes to all things in time. Some make it their duty to tear it apart. It is my duty to balance it out once more."
 37yrs • M •
so you believe God is the whole religion. God is every aspect of belief that is caused by analysis and study of the word? i highly doubt that God is not attained purely in this form. if God is not the whole religion and just the ideal moral guidance and if religions all hold this same ideal then what is different from their gods?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
not all of them ask that they be worship/belived in they just let the people know that they are there the people then chose what to do.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
 37yrs • M •
No I don't believe that God is a religion. I think that all religions, both personal and corporate, are pathways to some deity or ideal that we consider to be higher than ourselves. The deities and ideals that each person strives to attain, are all unique in that they all serve that person specifically. No matter how much the corporate religions like to spout it, there is no handy one-size-fits-all god. Every goal is personalized for the person chasing after it.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i must wholeheartedly agree. there is no singular god, there is a god for every single one of us, or if not a god then an ideal. i disagree with navin that a religion wihtout a deity is a path to god, because the term god means a deity.

the difference between the god of the assorted religions is the the difference in their moral guidance. there are certain things that are done in one religion and not in others. not all religions have the same ideals.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
All religions are paths of their own.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
Interesting. If all religions are simply paths, they must all lead somewhere. Paths by nature have to be a path to something. So could we perhaps say that religions are paths that lead to other paths? Or is there an end point that these paths eventually reach?

39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
So could we perhaps say that religions are paths that lead to other paths?

Not really. Most religions don't lead to other religions.

quote:
Or is there an end point that these paths eventually reach?

Yes as that is the nature of paths although some maybe more or less travelled, some confusing and some dangerous. But these paths do not all end in the same place

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 37yrs • M •
that is dependant on the subject allowing these paths to exist. the ideal end of any path regarding religion is to mindfully exist as a peaceful person, regardless of where that ends up. Goals and Products are two very different things but the product is attained through strive for a goal even if the goal isnt reached.
The whole point i guess im trying to make is that all religions, regardless of where their followers end up have the same goal. to find god, either as a diety or a state of mind. i just feel that God, which can not be proven to exist, is simply the need to answer and cope with the stress of life. so to me every God is the same God because there is no such thing as a defintion for God.

1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy