If you like me, I'll relish you. If you love me, I'll treasure you. If you hurt me, I'll DESTROY you. - Evilia
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

All Religions are paths to god - Page 5

User Thread
 72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
It is widely known by scholars everywhere that all religions are basically the same information in different containers. And as stated elsewhere, the truth is achieved by ignoring the containers to find the truth.
Nice, never heard it put that way in particular but a good way to perceive the truth.
Our perceptions are very different because we are different Yet some seem to think that we should perceive GOD in the same manner. Love is central to most societies yet if we were to give love a color would we all agree to red, let alone what shade of red. Some might see it as dark (blood) red or maroon, others bright red or pink, I relate love to roses so mine would be rose red

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that PeteSmith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
It is widely known by scholars everywhere that all religions are basically the same information in different containers
Thats just plain ignorance. If you say all religions basically teach the same thing, you haven't really understood any of them.
quote:
Yet some seem to think that we should perceive GOD in the same manner
I dont relate to my wife the same way the person next door relates to his wife, but we each love our wives and have an intimate, personal relationship with them. This is the manner in which we are meant to relate to God. Now we dont all relate in the same way but we can all have a personal, intermate relationship with him.

""What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I believe the Moral Teachings are very similar in many religions. But they do differ greatly in other areas.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think they are all based on good morals.

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
love thy neighbor as thyself

All the great religious leaders taught this, one way or another.

If you follow this teaching, then you can love Arabs and Jews and Buddists as yourself and understand that while you think you are following the correct religion, they believe they are following the correct religion, and your belief is just as valid as theirs.

To understand how to put this teaching into practice, study Ghandi.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
If you follow this teaching, then you can love Arabs and Jews and Buddists as yourself and understand that while you think you are following the correct religion, they believe they are following the correct religion, and your belief is just as valid as theirs.

But you can also love someone and also be aware that they are incorrect in their thinking or behaviours. One must not accept all thinking in order to love another

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 48yrs • M •
quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think they are all based on good morals.
Well actually no. While it is true Jesus did teach good moral values, that was not the prime reason for Him coming into the world. Jesus came into the world to pay the price for OUR sins. The cross is the central theme in Christianity. Without the cross you have a bunch of teachings that you have to follow to become something. The problem with other religions is there is no saviour. What mankind needs is a saviour.

Following a list of Do's and Dont's can to some extent change the outward behaviour of a person, but it does nothing to the human heart. Every wickedness that has ever been perpetrated began in the heart with a thought or an attitude.

Chrisitianity is the only religion that gives a satisfactory explanation for the problem of the human heart. It does not stop there though, it gives the solution to transforming it as well. No other explanation I have heard as even begun to explain, let alone give a solution to the problem of the heart.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Zato is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Chrisitianity is the only religion that gives a satisfactory explanation for the problem of the human heart. It does not stop there though, it gives the solution to transforming it as well. No other explanation I have heard as even begun to explain, let alone give a solution to the problem of the heart.

I don't know enough about different religions to vouch for any of them but I know that Buddhist have a great way of living to solve this "problem" it is not with external things but within. Once you are happy and one with yourself you can be happy with everything on the outside. You love everything. You love all life. Christianity is another "form" of making your heart happy. There must be more than just one way. Believing in anything enough may make you happy on the inside. Much <3

"Anything is Possible when you think illogically."
 34yrs • M •
TBG24601 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
It is impossible for all faiths and religions to be equally as valid, because both Christianity and Islam, for instance, clearly state that there is only one way to God and it is their way. Therefore, if all religions are valid this element of Christianity or Islam cannot be valid making them less valid than other religions that allow a difference of oppinion.

However, if either of these religions or faiths is entirely valid-- no other religion is valid (as far as reaching God is concerned)

Also, certain religions, though obscure, practice human sacrifice, cannabalism, or a rigid legalistic system that forbids forgiveness-- is it possible to regard the religions as valid from a moral standpoint?

It is possible to "love thy neighbor as thyself" without embracing behavior. Christianity teaches that hating sin or ungodlyness is part of love in Romans 12 (love without dissimulation abhoring that which is evil cleaving to what is good.)

64yrs • M •
Study Ghandi

64yrs • M •
quote:
Well actually no. While it is true Jesus did teach good moral values, that was not the prime reason for Him coming into the world. Jesus came into the world to pay the price for OUR sins.

Show me where Jesus taught this to his disciples.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MJClone is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Jesus taught his disciples to love your neighbor as you love yourself. when the pharisses asked him which of the commandments are the greatest. that is one moral thing that is specific.

I think what he was trying to say in that paragraph is besides all of the moral teachings that Jesus was teaching. His prime reason for coming to this earth was to destroy sin and death.

But I see these things both go hand and hand.

"what if I'm a clone?"
 64yrs • M •
quote:
Jesus taught his disciples to love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Changing subject - But this is a great lesson that took me a long time to learn (over 30 years of my life). You love yourself, you have to love what God created. Even if it was the false god (it was under direction of the true God). You have to apprecieate and love this and love God for it.

48yrs • M •
quote:
Show me where Jesus taught this to his disciples.

Matthew 20:28 -"just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
The words of Christ. Just one of many passages in the New Testement

64yrs • M •
quote:
25Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27and whoever wants to be first must be your slave- 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

I will complement you for believing what you believe because Jesus said so.

Ghandi allowed himself to go hungry on several occasions so that there would be peace between Pakasitan and India. Even though there have been some skirmish's and threats, his death ended the war between the two. By studying Ghandi I began to understand Jesus. If he wasn't crucified on the cross we wouldn't be reading his teachings today. If he would have instead called angles down from the sky to crush the Romans before they could punish him, we would call him a devil and not a savior.

Other scriptures written at the same time claimed he had to die to set the captives free from hades and that Saten was actually chained. His death to many was a mystery, but the way people act is a mystery. If you throw his death against the way people are, you see that myrters become heroes that legends are written of. Had he not died there would be no Christians or Muslims.

48yrs • M •
You are right. That is why he came into the world! But it was not an aimless death, it was to die for our sins.

Ask your self this. What made 11 misfits be willing to die preaching the message of Christ. People may be willing to die for what they believe to be true, but nobody would die for what they knew to be wrong. Christ's death and resurrection and the subsequent outpouring of the Holy Spirit is what transformed these 11 men (and loads of other followers) to die for what they believed.

Makes you think doesnt it.

All Religions are paths to god - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy