Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

How do we describe perfection - Page 3

User Thread
 35yrs • F •
Saber is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
quote:
There is no such thing as perfect. All things are in motion, ever changing, never perfect.

But you can conceive what a perfect thing is, so it seems perfection would exist, though only as an idea.

"We are all brothers under the skin - and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I can't conceive what perfect is. There are things I like, but as I believe that it is the best, another thing will come along that is better.

Perfect is a word meant only for flattery in poetry and such but not a reality.

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 35yrs • F •
Saber is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
If we can't comprehend the idea, how do we do so with its meaning?

I do agree that perfection does not exist in reality, though existing as an idea does not make it a reality.

"We are all brothers under the skin - and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it"
[  Edited by Saber at   ]
 51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
How do we describe perfection?
This is how I describe perfection :-

http://www.captaincynic.com/thread/76243/seven.htm
(It is the second poem in the thread.)

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that washingmypirate is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PERFECTION!!!

"Shengising Nugget"
 38yrs • M •
NickBertke is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
quote:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PERFECTION!!!

I agree with this. The idea of perfection is an illusion we create to keep us striving for better things. Human beings are wishful thinkers.

51yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Sorceress is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What is wrong with wishful thinking??

""Each child holds the world in an open hand to mould it into any shape they choose.""
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah but thats really not the point is it. If what you are saying is that perfection can be descibed as wishful thinking, you have something that has a little substance. But to say that there is no such thing as perfection without backing with anything real, even if you elaborate on your feelings, you just talking. I beleive that there is something called perfection and it is defined as follows.

"Perfection is, broadly, a state of completeness and flawlessness"

Defined by wikipedia. Now, what we're trying to found out is what is a perfect and flawless human. In order to find that out we would need to think of all "good" traits and how to make them as good as the possibly can be. Then, after we have made everything as complete and flawless as we could, we would have our definition of perfection.

Would you agree that that is how we would find perfection?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 77yrs • M •
Drxminus1 is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Forget about perfection. If it was possible to be perfect you certainly wouldn't need to live a human existance where it is impossible to be perfect. Try accepting yourself where you are and move foward from there. Make your world better .

"Truth is what is"
 35yrs • M
Thats not the point. This thread isnt about being perfect, its about finding out what it is.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Take a circle.

A circle, by definition, has a circumference to diameter ratio of 3.141.... (or pi). To be a 'perfect' circle, every point on the circumference should be precisely pi*distance to the centre of the circle.

As precision is made more accurate by compass precision and the precision of the pen that draws the circumference, in effect one is nearing 'perfection'.

In this sense, perfection is an aim, a goalpost which can never be realised, but can be conceived. Hence perfection is a concept.

As we move out of the problem of drawing a circle, our inabilities to see or perceive a perfection diminish because problems become too complex. Hence perfection in general, is something we cannot really aim for because its unknown in what direction we have to head to approach it.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 35yrs • M
Yes, in the senses of a circle. I agree that a perfect cirl is almost impossible, but that doesnt mean that perfection is impossible. I'll take your logic for an example.

A line, by definition, is when two points connect directly. A perfect line is very achievable and therefor I have disproven the logic you have used with a circle.

quote:
is something we cannot really aim for because its unknown in what direction we have to head to approach it.

Read my last post. Perfection is, even is definit, an opinion and there for is most ceritanly an attainable idea.

42yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jimbobby is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
A line, by definition, is when two points connect directly. A perfect line is very achievable and therefor I have disproven the logic you have used with a circle.

lol awakened. Yo'ure proving it only by theory - and even then its flawed because you have no idea what a point is ultimately. Show me a point which isn't a blur in reality. If its a blur then its not precise - for one thing it has gaps - doesn't a perfect anything require - at least - its components to be perfect?

Lets try something different. Water is H20. But each water droplet is different. Morover though we assume each hydrogen atom is identical to another - we don't really know this. And therefore all logic is ultimately fragile compared to perfection. Or, if must be, nothing can be realised to prove the concept of perfection.

The good thing about arguing against perfection is that its really so easy.

"Only gay people have quotes to look good"
 31yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Bantam_Confrere is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
In my own personal opinion- as young and unfledged as I may be- 'perfection' is more of an idea, maybe as to guide those who seek to achieve the culmination of personal merit. I think it is highly debatable and beyond the reaches of my own mind as to what physicality could be considered 'perfect'.

Although I sit here trying to avoid cliches, I do believe some things are perfect, such as love. So perhaps one can conclude that perfect is not a state of mind, nor a physical highpoint, but an idea, only to be sought after, but never achieved.

I have felt a sense of perfection, as when I reach a goal or target and I feel there is no need for improvement in that particular area, such as when I overpractice a song on the piano.

"How nice - To say nothing, yet still get full credit for being alive."
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Adam Seth God is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't pretend that this will be forgiveable...

But is Imperfection the perfection we seek....?

It's consistent... It's predictable in a sense... not that it can be mapped or predetermined but you can definately count on it....

It's the most prevalent in the universe...

Just because we understand it less doesn't mean it isn't exactly what we are having such a hard time trying to define...

Imperfection as Perfection...

I can hear so many saying "That's just silly"... that I feel more sure that I'm right already...

The destructive force of life, or living that causes life... whatever allows the turtle to live 100 years and the dog only 7

And then allows only 80 years for the average American...

Why say the dog is 49 in dog years... instead why not say the Turtle is 700 in dog years....?

Because he's not your cultural best buddy...?

Why not say the force that affects life and causes the end of it between molecules... that tears life away on the level of the atom,

In the constructual format of a dog only lasts 7 years...

in human form 80 to 110 years

in turtle form 100....?

maybe if we approached the study of imperfection differently we would understand more sooner...

In conclusion there may be one "thing" that fits the criteria for perfection's definition...

Existence... itself... also Non-existence...

Existence seems to be doing its job... perfectly... I seem to exists... I cannot sense anypart of me that does not exist...

Non-existence also seems to stay out of the way pretty well...

so it seems perfectly non-existent...

I know there are the physics-buffs like me who will confront me on the amount of empty space that makes up reality...

And then that what's not empty space is energy forms...

and the energy forms are empty space...

and the background radiation... etc. etc. etc.

which almost makes the reality seem like it's solid...yes solid..

That just dawned on me... at the end here so if it refutes my former statement above to hell with it...

Wait... that would actually help my imperfect perfect world...

This really rocks

peace... HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

"\\\"The Empty Vessel Makes The Most Noise\\\" - Shakespear"
[  Edited by Adam Seth God at   ]
How do we describe perfection - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy