When I die, I want to die like my grandfather - who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car. - Ana Rpo
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

What is the basis of independent morality?

User Thread
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
If a person doesn't think there is a God to be accountable to, then-then what's the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges? That's how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing...

Where do people get their own morals from and what purpose do they serve?

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 35yrs • M •
cordelllain is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
this is my first action here...forgive me if its odd

my personal belief on this is based on a kind of social contract theory--By living in a society we agree to that society's governing agents(e.g. moral code) so that we can be protected from a lack of morality by others(this morality being based on:morals being nething that doesnt infringe on anothers rights and also meeting one's own decisions as to what is moral..based on reasoning) For this to really work though, we would need multiple choices for societies and attached moral codes, which doesnt exist....so i just think of all things not infringing on anothers rights as moral, as well as the reasoned moral that i should help ne1 who has been put in a negative position by circumstances primarily outside of their control, since i would seek help in such situations.
the purpose of morals is in my opinion to protect people from each other....the purpose in a person developing their own morality being that this allows them to fit into society and be happier and also as an exercise in reason--there is also the idea(that i agree with) that it is moral to protect others from having their rights infringed upon as a society that does this will have very much personal liberties protection

About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy