Flip flop hipity hop, off your rocker and over the top, lifes a fiction the worlds a lie so put on some creedence and lets get high - kevosworld
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Does Time Exist? - Page 2

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
can anyone define time?

Yes.

Time - A sentient beings awareness of movement of matter.

basically, any being that is aware of itself can compare an object as it was, as it is, and as it's going to be. that is time

that's at least my definition

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
so time is perspective, or a perspective?

"dont got one"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
absolute external time is perspective. Socially constructed internal time is a perspective

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 35yrs • M •
there is no such this as time... definatly no such thing as "external time"

there is no such thing a "space-time continum" ( pardon my spelling for it is late ) thats just rediculous.

there is a space plane, nothing more. "time" as we call it, is a constant loop, therefore it never goes forward... therefore, as we see it, it cant exist.

37yrs • M •
in other words you would say that 'time' is a social construction.

35yrs • M •
basically yes. a bit more complex then that but the time you an i are familiar with is a social construction.... even "external time"

37yrs • M •
yes

36yrs • M •
Velvet is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Excuse me mr iceberg picture man, but to say i dont have an open mind would be a bit of a harsh judgement i've come to the conclusion that the tree would have made a sound because it is a fact that things make a noise when they fall.
Just because nobody heres it doesnt mean it didnt happen and im not using this as a back up for believing in god or anything of the sort. But from experience unless your death things tend to make a noise when they hit the ground unless it was a ninga tree.

"please put down your hands cause i see you"
 36yrs • M •
Velvet is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ok i know this is over the top now but what your telling me is that say the dodo only exsited when we first saw it or that the fruit from a tree that is knewly discovered only exsisted when it was seen.
my point is that we know water boils at 100 degrees it doesnt change when were not looking.

"please put down your hands cause i see you"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
all we are saying is prove that the water temperature stays the same....

o wait you cant without looking once agian. now..... can you?

if you think thats stupid well then philosophy is not for you

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
if eveything stopped its motion so there are no changes (including old aging etc etc) would time no longer exist? remember motion can incude your own brain/mind occurance feeling things such as time..

"no quote until i copyright it.."
 37yrs • M •
analytical: you claim your open minded, but postulate that 'seeing is only believing'. This is rather close-minded. Philosophy as a whole is not one sided. There are different ways to approach this.

oh and yes I can prove that water temperature can remain at 100 degrees by measuring the evaporation rate.

Patape: The way I see it (i'm refering to external time) - time is infinite meaning time has never started nor will it stop. It is a continual flow for eternity. It is an external dimension meaning that time exists externally from the movement and temperature of matter. If the universe stopped, that is time. Time is always everywhere. Without time there is nothing. Time exists even when there are no events. Being independant from all matter doesn't mean time can't affect matter. It just means that time is continual regardless of any matter. If time stops, the capacity to observe time stops. But then again that is a social construction.

please note that your question is relevent to this thread: http://www.captaincynic.com/thread.php3/thrdid=48155-u-frmid=12

41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Time is just the memory of events. Its unfortunate there are different meanings of 'time' but to best undesrtand it it I would suggest time is an event horizon .

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
if everything was to stop moving COMPLETELY... down to the molecular level and everything... theoretically time would stop because:

according to the social construct time theory, we wouldnt be able to compare events in the past with "now."

according to MY time loop theory, the loop would stop and everything would be at a stand still.

however, we would never be able to tell if time stoped. as soon as movement stops, time stops. therefore we wont remember time ever stopping... we will say we got really really really really close, but we will never get there.

it is because of this we will never be able to reach absolute zero.

37yrs • M •
In terms of the social constructionist point of view, you've got it right, last resort.

Does Time Exist? - Page 2
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy