Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Chaos theory

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Chaos theory
(I'm hoping some of you can grasp this concept; especially anyone who may be an ontological anarchist)

Imagine a world where the flap of a butterfly's wings on one side of the world sets off a hurricane on the other side of the world. A world where there is no such thing as chance, only patterns that we do not understand. Known as the chaos theory, in this world there is a lack of order in a system that nevertheless obeys particular laws or rules. This system is not linear. Very simple or small systems and events can cause very complex behaviors or events. A state of the system is determined by the previous state. If you can start to grasp this ideology, you may start to realise that this system is very real and purely exists. If a leaf (like what Hejme mentioned) flows down a stream, is there a mathematical reason that ensures how/where/why/when that leaf will flow? is there a purpose...an aim? You may believe that the course of this leaf is unpredictable. However unpredictable results can and will occur in systems that are sensitive to their initial conditions. This phenomenon, I strongly believe truly exists- it can be applied to anything. Here are some simplified examples:
1. The weather: small changes in weather effect larger patterns.
2. The stock market: slight fluctuations in one market can effect many others.
3. Biology: A small change in a virus in monkeys in Africa creates a "thunderstorm" of an effect on the human population around the world with the appearance of the AIDs virus.
4. Evolution: small changes in the chemistry of the early Earth gives rise to life.
5. Psychology: Thought patterns and consciousness altered by small changes in brain chemistry or small changes in physical environmental stimuli.
6. Astronomy- multiple examples

oh btw Heyjme1- I hope this helps you think more about your Universal consiousness thread.
its interesting that the Tao has many parrallelisms to the chaos theory. It would be interesting to here if this has destroyed you consensus reality, or you idea of "truth".

"The summit is just a halfway point"
[  Edited by summit at   ]
 35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
isn't this just saying everything is relevant?

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I found this theory to be very intresting soo i did alittle looking around and found this introduction to the choas theory and where it came from.. ect. look into it http://www.imho.com/grae/chaos/chaos.html

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 37yrs • M •
sleepingwraith: well an electron can absolutely cause any event to occur. I don't entirely agree on the Quantum theory. . QT, attempts an explanation of the reality "behind" Quantum facts. Quantum mechanics doesn't offer ideas about "reality," only a set of statistical possibilities, tools for prediction. QM "works" -- but Quantum facts remain unexplained. And yes QM has connections to Chaos theory. Chaos theory seems to predict that Quantum Theory will flourish as long as it remains "incomplete".

But lets keep on track with the Chaos theory.
Being a determinist myself (in regards to this topic), I find this theory easily credible. That every action/event is a result of preceding actions/events. In other words- cause and effect. Cause-and-effect rules completely govern all motion and structure on the material level. Systems are mathematically deterministic but nearly impossible to predict. Chaos is more evident in long-term systems than in short-term systems. Chaos occurs when a system is very sensitive to initial conditions. We do not live in a linear world at all. Linearity is very rare. It has been found that the presence of chaos may actually be necessary for larger scale physical patterns, such as mountains and galaxies, to arise. Chaotic systems are very instable. Chaotic systems are widespread in day-day events like: war, family dysfunction, political unrest, disease, electric circuits, heart rythyms, lasers, animal populations, religion, etc. Chaos may actually be the norm in our universe.

If you believe in free-will then I don't think you can believe in chaotic systems.
(Before I was aware of the chaos system I posted this in another thread:
- We only perceive that we can change our actions and behavior.
- Such feelings of control are illusions; we are just ignorant of all the irresistible forces acting upon us.
- Our behaviour is mainly determined by previous events).

It kinda freaky for me to think that before I was a determinist even without knowing the chaos theory. Its all coming together.

[  Edited by summit at   ]
 35yrs • M
your making it way to complicated. think more simply.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M •
You need to learn it to understand it. its simple for me! as I said, some will not understand chaos and therefore you may want to read up more on it.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
 42yrs • F •
SativaDiva is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Ahhh...yes. The random spontaniousness that creates the Chaos Theory. I know it all too well.....

"Every time I close the door on reality, it shines in through the window."
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that JoelB is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the butterfly effect was a crazy movie. Ashton kutcher actually did a good job. But yeah... I like to think that something I do over here... could effect something a world way... good or bad... I think its interesting..

"Aint flashed a smile in a long while...."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
From what I remembered from the site I provided was that the "Butterfly Effect" Is caused in time.. I may be wrong. I'd have to read it again. Not like an instant action reaction kinda deal.

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 35yrs • M
ok.

im not bad at the whole time travel explanation. so here goes.

the "butterfly effect" is under the assumption that the following is not true-

you can not go back in time and change something because there would be something stopping you that happend in the first place. you cant go back and kill hitler because a bird will fly in front of your gun. you cantsave princess diana because you will miss the bus, so on and so forth.

there are multiple universes and you can see your self in the future and possibly harm youself directly if not careful.- this is the dbz aproach.

back to the future was an intelligent movie.

a flux compassitor is needed for time travel.

there are probably others. and if you can think of them, please add on, im tired, just got off work.

now with that inmind, the butterfly effect can be used to
change the past
change the future
change the present.
you can kill yourself, kill hitler, and stop back to the future from being made. its kinda like an ultimat power.

35yrs • M
and really chaotic

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
sleepingwrath i beg you to understand quantum physics is completely bs and einstein was not that smart of a man, he was unique and thought outside the box yes... he was mathmatically smart yes... but his theories are just horrible.

that said, you can easily predict electons...

that said, the chaos theory is just about true.

we live in a world of math, if you grasp that concept you can predict most everything, however there will be those bursts of randomness that even further the chaos theory.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that eliasan is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
actually u could go back and kill hitler u just hide in crowd with grenade
then pull the pin when he gets close, run towards him and boom even though u died it wouldn't matter becouse that was ur present self and not ur past self. Also all those time things where u can't go back in time to do something cause u can't or becouse it would affect ur history causing u to never going back to fix it i have debunked. Still working on some special case senarios otherwise i won when it comes to figuring out time well to an extent that is.

"Fear nothing for fear is the mind killer."
Chaos theory
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy