Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Chaos theory - Page 5

User Thread
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
there is no 'original action'. Events resolve from an infinite time continuim. Thats what I believe.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 37yrs • M •
Heres something extra about Chaos Theory- Fractals.

A Fractal can be a geometric object which is always irregular on all scales of length. In other words they are never smooth. Fractals possess infinite detail, and therefore cannot be measured precisely. However fractals are not just complex shapes...anything that is random and irregular can be a fractal.

Fractals permeate our lives, appearing in places as tiny as the membrane of a cell and as majestic as the solar system. Fractals are the unique, irregular patterns left behind by the unpredictable movements of the chaotic world at work. Fractals are the patterns of chaos.

Examples of fractals in nature are:
- solar system
- coasts
- flower
- snowflake
- crystal
- clouds
- mountains
- rivers
- blood vessels
- leaves, trees and ferns
- seashells
- wave
-water swirling and twisting out of a tap
- the stock market

Some would say that everything in the universe is a fractal. Chaos is ever present, even now as you are reading this. The universe is in constant motion. Fractals describe the real world better than traditional mathematics and physics.

I must say fractals are pretty weird, yet very interesting.

I'll post some art fractals in the 'random picture' thread.

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Fractals are the patterns of chaos.

elaborate please

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 37yrs • M •
Ok. Fractals are related to chaos because they are complex systems that have definite properties. Fractals depict chaotic behaviour because they are are non-linear and irregular. They are beyond simple geomtry such as circle or a straight line. The shape/length of a fractal is infinite. You can zoom in on a section of a fractal and it will have just as much detail as the whole fractal. The behaviour is infinite.

Take a tree, for example. Pick a particular branch and look at it closely. Choose a bundle of leaves on that branch. To chaologists, all three of the objects described - the tree, the branch, and the leaves - are identical. To many, the word chaos suggests randomness, unpredictability and perhaps even messiness. Chaos is actually very organized and follows certain patterns. The problem arises in finding these patterns.

By looking at a fractals we can predict patterns in dynamical systems that on the surface seem unpredictable. A system is a set of things,- an area of study -A set of equations is a system, such as weather systems, the movement of water currents, or animal migration patterns.

Weather is a good example. Ok so forecasts are never totally accurate, and long-term forecasts, even for one week, can be totally wrong. This is because of minor disturbances in airflow, solar heating, etc. Each disturbance may be minor, but the change it create will increase geometrically with time. Soon, the weather will be far different than what was expected.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Gmunk is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The way i understand it (correct me if im wrong) Is that with chaos theory there is constant change, seemingly random, but truly uniform (in a sense). This chaos isn't chaotitic in totality but the driving force behind existence pushing it on. Just how i think of it anyway.

"Simplistically made, my mind wanders, Dwelling on thoughts and blunders."
 37yrs • M •
Gmunk: yes, that is reasonably correct. There is constant change. The chaos is a state of the system that is determined by the previous state. Chaotic systems are very instable. Chaos isn't linear, yet I'm not to sure whether it is uniform because I don't know for sure whether chaos conforms to one principle.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
As I understand it, chaos is simply randomness without cycle.

If we, as humans, were to create a random number generator and get it to generate numbers between 0 and 10,000,000,000 and had the program print out each number in sequence, eventually - be it ten years or ten thousand years later - the 'random' pattern would begin to repeat itself. Thus becoming predictable.

But true randomness, or chaos, is the never predictable. Chaos theory elaborates on the effect of continuous, truly random events collaborating to create the very fabric of the universe, and the reality we exist in.

If a pattern of true randomness has no end, then it cannot have a beginning either, or so I believe. Thus adding to my views of the eternal universe.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 37yrs • M •
right on xanadoool. The universe(s) is randomly dynamic. All elements are in various states of transition generated by chaotic systems. I too believe in the eternal universe(s) [time/space continum] as you may have already guessed from previous posts.

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the universe is simple... too simple for us to comprehend

37yrs • M •
lastresort: can you elaborate your opinion?....and how is it related to chaos theory.

Chaos theory - Page 5
  1    2    3    4    5  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy