Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Why do we put words in quotes?

User Thread
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that patape is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
after reading through these forums and seeing whenever people write philosophically in general somethng annoys me. . dont get me wrong i do it all the time and am recently trying to question the psycological motive for doing it (maybe its an awkward reason to admit?) "but" "why" "do" "we" "so" "often" "put" "quotes" "on" "so" "many" "words" "what" "are" "we" "trying" "to" "mean" "By" "doing" "that".. maybe its when we dont believe the word to be true or we cant really back it up so we make the imaginary person responsible for it.. share your views

"no quote until i copyright it.."
[  Edited by unknown1 at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 40yrs • M •
the one who supposedly said the word that you put in quotes.. after dwelling on that for a little bit perhaps its generally not an imaginary person comes from specific people but you might kind of forgoet who said what and just quote the notion of someone saying that word with the meaning he inended of the word (which you can be questioning the truth of by quoting)..

now i was just gong to quote the word truth and on this theme track il stop and analze try to see why i did or would of did that um... becasue recently thought of argument i stuck with that everything is true.. real.. fact.. etc as a thought and i put skepticicm to anything in a different way which wont really get inot here.. but anyway so i wold quote trth "truth" becasue trying to say well what isnt truth...

58yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that RaTyphon is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
some use the quotes to mark off remarks from earlier posts that they are replying to. Others I assume are just using them for emphasis on the points they are trying to make. And some just like quotes.

These quotes can now go around what I typed above if I type is again later " ".

""I do not wish my pockets to be searched.""
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
some use the quotes to mark off remarks from earlier posts that they are replying to. Others I assume are just using them for emphasis on the points they are trying to make. And some just like quotes.

These quotes can now go around what I typed above if I type is again later " ".

Well said

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i use quotes for a few different things.

1. quoting myself or somebody else directly
2. paraphrasing myself or somebody else
3. stating something that i believe to be a commonly heard piece of information or colloquialism.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 40yrs • M •
those are what quotes are "formally" used for. (i just quoted but dont qnat to analyze why i did that yet) but im talking about when we use them on jus one word.. as if we dont agree with its meaning but yet we sill use that word!!.. i guess like i just did there.. but you can but it on every or almost every word i gues hold on im gonig to think about it again..

40yrs • M •
that was a typo.. it was susposse to say think... but im talking about when we use qutatuion marks on words for different reaon like yea every word we can quote but we dont only certain words.. ex: the "boring" cat.. or sure the "truth" might be... or i know i was "bad" at that.. naw shit exapmles but som

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think those quotations represent a sterotype. A sterotypical "boring " cat

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 40yrs • M •
ok thats closely realted to what im tring to say but i mean when we choose certaini words to quote out of so many others (im talknig aobut most commonly when we quote what someone typed in a previuos post) you can tell me that your just quoting him but then why do we choose to quote one or two words out of every other word he or she said??!!! my theory = cause we dont agree with that word being used... we do it so often just browse through the ugn (or any other forum for that matter) and youl see, maybe ill just copy paste them to show you what im talking about.. and just wanted theories on why we do that ("deeper" than simply just to quote.. cause like i said we select cerain words to quote and seems we do so when we dont agree with that word being used or something..

40yrs • M •
woops that stupid smiley face went one accedentially

..actually its cute

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that wholly is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i use quotes around individual words when the word itself describes a phenomenon or concept that can be defineda great many ways. i do this to denote that i understand the subjectivity involved but have not a more subtle reference at my disposal. when i come upon a relevant example i will post it

"dont got one"
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy