Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Politics in Books

User Thread
 37yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that Catnip48 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Politics in Books
My science teacher said scientific thought must be unbias. Right now people are asking for political bias in science books. What I want to know is if Intelligent Design or Global Warming are as big scientific issues as politicans make it? Do these theories need a lot of time in science books?

72yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that cturtle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The principles of scientific investigation should be given in unbias methods & attitude. On the the other hand well-educated, highly intelligent (or otherwise) people tend to be strongly biased toward their own view. A math teacher (probability/ statistics) once said that you can bias the statistics such to prove anything you wanted too!
In other words if you look hard enough you can justify your opinion. Ex. Smoking is bad for your health, breathing pollution is bad for your health. The air is polluted so breathing is bad for your health?

"Terrorist or tyrant, few may come to the Truth that both are poor choice."
 38yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that summit is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Intelligent Design is not scientific. It should not be taught as a 'science'. There's two working ideas. One would be science is what scientists say it is. The second would be that science involves testable hypotheses. Intelligent design isn't testable in the way that we normally think about scientific hypothesis being testable. They don't provide the details by which that design happened because they couldn't. They couldn't possibly show us the designer.
Intelligent Design has been rejected by all scientific institutions, academies and societies around the world. For the scientists, the case of 'intelligent design' is closed- it's simply not science.
On the other hand, global warming is real science.

"The summit is just a halfway point"
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
This is getting difficult for me, because a couple days ago I got an email from a friend asking to help keep Intellegent Design out of schools, but I disagree and deleted the email and won't help.

I think maybe we can compromise and teach intellegent design in a theory class, but I don't think it is such a big deal that schools should be sued over it. I think we're making an ant hill into a mountain to climb a non existant cause against imaginary enemies.

To battle this is based on lower forms of human emotions and any logical person who takes part in it proves themselves illogical.

It doesn't matter. I will believe whatever I will believe nomatter what you teach in school and I don't believe my ancistor was an ape - you've wasted your time on me and my son also dissigrees, currently in college earning his masters degree, so what does it matter what you teach in grade school?

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Azhrei is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
so what does it matter what you teach in grade school?

it doesn't matter as long as parents teach their kids to think independently.

"What is true power?"
 38yrs • M •
quote:
so what does it matter what you teach in grade school?

What turns true belief into knowledge is the reliability of our cognitive processes. Knowledge is a resource for life. It depends which path the person takes that will ultimately define how and what they accept/reject or query over.

Knowledge is best absorbed and reflected through independent thought (as Azhrei mentioned). Self-knowledge is pure.

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Elementary school is a stepping stone to high school. You can't do algebra before you can add.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 64yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that okcitykid is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Intelligent Design or Global Warming are as big scientific issues as politicans make it? Do these theories need a lot of time in science books?

So its important that we teach these things in school, so why are parents sueing the school because they want to>

"A fool says I know and a wise man says I wonder."
 72yrs • M •
quote:
Intelligent Design is not scientific. It should not be taught as a 'science'. There's two working ideas. One would be science is what scientists say it is. The second would be that science involves testable hypotheses.

Really now, schools should only teach proven facts, not theory? That would certainly reduce the amount of material covered.
As random chance is random by definition it would be hard to Prove the Theory? But math does cover some aspects of chance in calculating odds based on theories of probability

38yrs • M •
cturtle: It seems your confused. I never claimed anything ideology as fact, only theory. I mentioned that intelligent design should not be taught as a 'science', but rather a theology of religion.

72yrs • M •
quote:
I mentioned that intelligent design should not be taught as a 'science', but rather a theology of religion.
cturtle: It seems your confused. It would seem that if creation of life in this universe is a religious idealogy then so is the opposite theory? Then should we teach selective adaption as science theory & evolution as a religious dogma?

38yrs • M •
quote:
It would seem that if creation of life in this universe is a religious idealogy then so is the opposite theory?

that doesn't make sense

quote:
Then should we teach selective adaption as science theory & evolution as a religious dogma?

this also doesn't make sense. evolution is science.

37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that firstright89 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
evolution is science however darwin's theory of evolution is not. it is a hope there is no missing link. theories of evolution can be inferred as religious dogma

"choose to be happy today"
 38yrs • M •
quote:
evolution is science darwin's theory of evolution is not. it is a hope there is no missing link. theories of evolution can be inferred as religious dogma

That is a contradiction. Can you elaborate this?

72yrs • M •
Application of random possibilities: Card game called Phase 10
Simple card game containing cards of 1 - 12 in 4 colors & 3 sets of alternate (action) cards. Objective to pass through 10 phases which form > progressive (increase in difficultity).
Simple, want to calculate the probability of certain cards? Astronomical yet I can see certain patterns appear in the playing. For an eye to see, an ear to hear certainly is no less yet look at the tremendious number of animals seem to have independently developed these same functions?

Politics in Books
  1    2  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy