Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Time and Absolute Zero - Page 4

User Thread
 46yrs • F •
viGYAna is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
Time does not exists as an external force. Time is a mental construct used to identify events that occured chronologically. What does exist is causuality, which means everything exists and occurs through cause and effect relationships. Something causes a reaction which causes a reaction etc. hence a chain of cause-effect events. Therefore if everything were to freeze, there would be no movement, nothing causing any reactions and everything would be still.

""You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one." John Lennon"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
thank you, finaly someone who thinks as i do.

46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
viGYAna, have you forgotten about gravity? You can't freeze gravity, you can't make it stop, you can't even slow it down, if an etire galaxy was to stop moving.... wait a sec, no. It can't stop moving, even with everything frozen, the gravity of the super massive black hole at the center of it would keep everything moving, thus allowing for linear progression, or in other words, time.

lastresort, saying that something is bs, doesn't make it bs. I've given backing to all of the things you have debated, and all you've come back with is a sort of "I'm right you're wrong" response.

So go ahead, tell me exactly why quantum mechanics and time/space is bs. I'm really interested in finding out new theories, but only theories that can be backed up by others and can be tested. Let me test your theories, and I promise that I won't come back with something lame like "well that's just bs!"

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 46yrs • F •
viGYAna is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
That is a very good point xanadoool. If absolute zero temperature were reached all molecular motion would stop. Then there is gravity, which is a force and causes movement. Therefore I stand corrected because everything would not be still, there would still be motion via the rotation of planets. Objects would appear still. However, I think, the existence of gravity does not validate or indicate that time exists. Time is still a mental construct. Gravity effects speed and motion. Time is a mathematical/theoretical tool used in physics to track the speed of movement. The gravitational force of a black hole is such that it pulls matter towards it at much greater speeds than the gravitational pull of the sun. Time is a construct, a tool used to identify and measure the speed of things. Please enlighten me if I am missing something.

""You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one." John Lennon"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
My understanding of the initial question was that if everything dropped to absolute zero, would time stop.

My perception of time was the linear progression of things. As in, a molecule is here one moment, there the next.

In this case, time would continue, as movement would continue.

Of course, the more theological approach is whether time would stop for us... in which case, a drop to absolute zero is unnessisary, you just have to die, and time will stop... for you.

I took this as a scientific question however, as the question was posed in scientific terms. Because everyone knows that time stops if you do... but only for you.

If we were able to shield ourselves from the catastrophy of universal freezing, not only linear progression would continue, but our perception of it also, which is what we call time.

Thus breaking back into theology... a problem most physicists have found... the further you go into understanding the universe, the closer you get to theology, and further you get from science... a Catch 22 if you will!

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 44yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wayback is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
What or Why do these people think that Absolute Zero has anything (effect) on Time?

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Sky1234 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Before I post any opinion of my own, lets just say it is my opinion and my opinion only.

Time is a measurement, create to measure events. If there is no events, time is still, so if everything else freeze, time freeze as well. But, if, lets say "Bob" have a machine(I know this is unreal) he use to stop everything and "Bob" is the only one that move, but everything else stand still, time still move on,because there is event.

I think there is something wrong with the question. If everything stop, who witness it? who said it stop? If there is someone witness everything stop, than time still continual on, because there is event.
Who know? maybe time stop just the second before i type this message, but no one know, because time stop and everything stop.

I would say, "Absolute Zero" or "time stoppage" don't exist at all, even if it do, no body knows, even God.

I don't know if my theory works, but it seem pretty suitable for me so far, until someone prove me wrong, so feel free if there is some contradiction in my theory and I hope my understanding could answer your question, Wayback.

"Beware of the dog"
Time and Absolute Zero - Page 4
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy