Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Whole is more than the sum of its parts?

User Thread
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
If I examine myself I find that everytime I do something I am doing it for a purpose. That purpose I may never truly recognise. But I do realise that in everything I am looking for meaning. Life would be pretty dull to add no meaning beyond what is. There would be no inventions-people would find DNA but never utilise it for technological advancement. Thats what seperates us from calculators. There's a mystical element to all of us and in animals-I respond differently to a dog than I do a car and its amazing. There's something more to life than just collection of matter and known phsyics...something more...

""No words""
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that TRANCEND is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
IM NOT SURE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT HERE, BUT I SOMETIMES THINK WE HAVE SOULS, IM NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS, BUT THEY ARE WHO WE REALLY ARE AND OUR BODIES ARE JUST CAPSULES ON A JOURNEY, BUT I TOO FEEL THERE IS SOMETHING MORE.

"\WHEN YOU CANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that for the better is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
the first sentence heyjme1 sounds pretty weird to me. like obvious. of course we do every action for a purpose why else do it?

(humans have soul spirit and body calculators none of these.)
could this something more be emotion?
or do you mean that our actions are more significant than we think?

41yrs • M •
The obvious is too often forgotten. It is the first step to clarity.

Emotion; yes that could be something. Emotion exists in our minds beyond the fact of the matter. But its more than just emotion...gees women have enough of that!

I couldn't really put any finger on it or attempt any proof; I'm really thinking from something which resides in me other than any intellectual ability if you like. Universal consiousness, unity with the cosmos, all these touch on it but I can't put my finger on it. Like I said its just something like the interaction between I an a dog is different between me and my car. Soul, maybe...its just another word though.

Are our actions more significant than we think?

Now there's a question. I'll go with Chaos theory...little things can have dramatic effect: to us things are a mystery, to God, or nature, its all quite normal

And this is why the obvious is not as obvious as you might think; what is our ultimate purpose? God knows! (maybe in both senses)

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"And this is why the obvious is not as obvious as you might think; what is our ultimate purpose? God knows! (maybe in both senses)"

I dont know about everyone else, but i have can interpret every action i commit, and find out why i did it... and what its concequences are, even the small ones.

it is my belief that if you cannot do this, you do not know your purpose. i know my purpose in life... live...

because of this, what seems not obvious to you, is obvious to me... just about nothing is not obvious to me. thus, god as nothing to do with it.

41yrs • F •
lastresort- no i dont mean that Literally you can see what the consequences of your actions are. I mean the bigger pictures such as you spit your gum on the road. someone steps on it and its stuck for good. three weeks later someone walking by sees it and slows down because they thinkits ...(for ex ) in the shape of a heart. at that time they get hit by a vehicle bc they are standing in the road. so you ask.. if the gum wasnt spit out would that person have gotten hit? who knows?

NOT EVERYTHING IS BLACK AND WHITE AND ANSWERABLE

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i agree with for the better, you can see the consequences of your actions on yourself and people close to you, but there are things that you have indirectly caused, that you will never know about. most people can see the consequences their actions will have, mayb as you say, you are beeter at seeing the less obvious ones, but to think that you see them all is ridiculous. heyjme is being more aware, as he realises that there are things that he doesnt know about, you think you know everything thats happened, and therefore miss a lot of the important other things, whereas he realises that hes missed bits, and may later learn he caused something indirectly, whereas you would never know.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 41yrs • M •
If I knew everything I did...or almost everything..I would have to know almost everything...think about this.

I don't know where for the betters post popped up from but I think she's on the same wavelength.

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
everything may not actually be black and white... but for the benefit to my point...

everything is black and white and answerable.

read up on quantum physics

41yrs • M •
That is a possibility; a belief to be precise. But it has not been recognised yet/now.

""No words""
 41yrs • F •
and again, it all depends on the way you learn and understand things. in saying everything is not black and white maybe was not really smart of me b/c maybe for you, things are YES and NO.

anyway, what was the original intent of this post? something about the whole being more than just the sum of its parts.... interesting. and i believe that to be true, but im hoping for a clearer explantion of why you think this heyjme1

41yrs • M •
Actually if we want to be pedntic here we should say:

The whole is something else than the sum of its parts.

Imagine a painting. The painter sees the painting, the weaver sees the material, the carpenter sees the frame, the scientists sees the chemicals, the geometrician sees the size, the philosopher sees the meaning. They are all describing the same reality but just bits of it. The more, and more, and yet more, we understand what reality is by going up close, and moving away the more we understand. To understand it fully you must be one with it and the events that made it what it is. The answer, as someone said to me maybe 'out here'.

""No words""
 41yrs • F •
okok. ::clearer:::..

its what makes things beautiful to some and 'ugly' to others.
and sometimes we only see what we know. to the untrained eye, a painting is just that, just a painting. so knowledge of it creates emotional reaction to everyday objects. ( for me )

the whole is something else yes and the whole is a process, not always just a product.

41yrs • M •
quote:
the whole is something else yes and the whole is a process, not always just a product.

Poetry in motion.

""No words""
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy