If we are all part of god, and god is in all of us, then why am I not in you? - dragonwing4d
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Mind over Matter?

User Thread
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Mind over Matter?
What is your take on this? I really think of you have a controlled mind i think you can accomplish very astonishing things... Up until you absolutely reach the maximum potential your body can poassibly reach. Say for instance, My advanced conditioning regiments for muay thai... I clear my mind as best as possible and just Eliminate pain from my work outs.. Impossible? Works to some degree for me I'm really working on it though ive very intrested to see the true potential My mind and body is capable of.. Please share your thoughts!!

"I'm a human being, God Dammit!! My life has value!!!"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
it is very possible to use your mind to trigger strong chemicals within your body that allow you to seem more amazing than most others. it is also possible to use the mind to dull your senses, as well as heighten them. most people have a very minute grasp on the capabilites of the mind. out of those who have some vague idea, fewer have finely tuned abilities. we often view sports stars, martial artists, great philosophers, ect. as having some sort of extra awareness or "gift" ... and altho some of it may be genetic, a lot of it is most probably their drive to fine tune themselves in specific ways.

humans have a much greater potential than they realize.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
a lot of the time though, these people dont realise that they are fine tuning their bodies or minds. you may be able to do something a bit, then practice and get better at it, but u dont realy understand how the practice is improving your ability.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The way I'm going to answer this is by this quote:

"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not." George Bernard Shaw

Thoughts:

I know when I play pool...when I'm thinking positively I am more likely to change be successful than when I am not.

I sometimes buy scratchcards (in the UK). I know when I feel more lucky generally I am more lucky. I know once I've selected the scratchcard....The chance of me being lucky is already known...i.e. the outcome is just waiting to happen. However, the luck as it were could be which shop I go to, what time I go, and which particular scratchcard I buy. I'm not saying this is a truth but one which should be looked into!

More personal:

I spent a few months away on a remote island off Scotland doing study. It was mountainous. I noticed as I became fitter and my sense perceptions and focus became greater I began to feel a unity with the rocks...almost as if I instinctively knew where to climb; where to put my feet and where to angle myself. Now you could argue I was just fitter and so my brain was more rapid in response. I can see this point and it is very valid...but this sense of unity kind of wakened me up a little. I may be wrong...but thats why I said the first statement. Why just delve into what we already know (i.e. explain via known theories). Why not delve into other possibilities too?

""No words""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
"it is very possible to use your mind to trigger strong chemicals within your body that allow you to seem more amazing than most others."

not everything is chemicals... i will use a real life example that i used in a seperate thread.

im playing soccer and a strike is comming down the side of the field. i run over to defend and jump into the air... as i leave the ground, time seems to slow down as im going threw the air i go... wow, this is crazy. then i do a 180 and watch the kids face as i do this, remember, im just doing this casualy and the kid is astounded... anyway, i do the 180 and slam my leg into the ball sending the guy forward. as soon as i hit the ball however, time went to normal speed again.

im not sure if time just seemed to slow down to me, but at half time, my teamates were like... "wow that look like it was in slow motion"

im positive the slowing of time has nothing to do with chemicals...

another example...

im running away from someone, just for fun and games. i have no idea how i did this, but i get to a wall and again jump, and again as i leave the ground time slows and i climb the wall... literally, 3 or 4 steps up, i jump back off the wall to the size completely dodging my chaser. again as i land time seems to speed again.

i dont know what allowed me to do these things, but they all took little or no effort.

i have many more examples of these kinds of events.

but to answer the initial question... i believe "mind over matter"

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jacker_Jones is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
mind over matter. Not something easily done in our current society but i beileve this is the future way of thinking. It's just some things are in your head. For example if you lay a plank on the ground no one appears to have trouble walking on it. But raise that plank 200 feet and suddenly it's not so easy. What has changed? It's the same process but in our minds it's not. I beileave that these are just almost like an invisible barrior our mind puts up. A barrior of fear that society puts on you to you avoid death. And, there's more like that out there it's just a matter of opening your eyes and realising that your mind is just playing a trick on you.

"I love to see people struggling for their purpose in life..."
 34yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that MugenNoKarayami is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Yeah, I try to just "stop action" and realize what is actually going on in the situation.. what ever it may be if i feel im having trouble doing something.. I tell myself that I should be able to do this and I end up either doing it next try or for sure the next few.
quote:
For example if you lay a plank on the ground no one appears to have trouble walking on it. But raise that plank 200 feet and suddenly it's not so easy. What has changed? It's the same process but in our minds it's not.

A very good example I might add. People are just afraid of what might happen and seem to forget about having the ability to go through with it. The method i use is to React as it Comes..not react before..

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
we only use like what.... 8 percent, 9, 10, maybe 13. imagine 50, 75, 100! have you ever tryed testing your esp. have someone itellegent think of a nuber on a blank white board in the head. try and geuss it. the take some dice and roll them. at try and predict the rolls.

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 34yrs • M •
actually from some recent scientific stufy we actually use closer to 95% of our brain to function in every day life. I do not have a link to my source, it was just something i heard someone talking about it in my class for current events. I will look into this though and comeback and share it with all of you. The more accepted 8% doesnt really seem possible because using 8% of our potential brain powre would have to mean that we couldnt nearly operate on a daily basis like we do everry day. We just like to think that because people believe we're capable of much more.. which may and most likely is true but c'mon 8%.. any way, before i lead you in the wrong direction i would rather research this and see if im not just bull shittin you all..

35yrs • M
A CTL of 1 means that awakendwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
thank you

"Why cry for those that often cry? Instead, help them smile, and smile for those that smile."
 34yrs • M •
Did some looking around last night and i couldnt find anything about the 95% thing or 8% for that matter soo idk what's goin on with that now hahha I'll keep lookin around though..

40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that ultima is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i dont know if 95 seems right... then again.. 8 percent just seems bogus to me aswell..... why would we be only using 8 percent of our mind? Maybe they are unable to pick up the Action potentials that are being processed in that specific area of the mind. I dont know.. but i belive were nearly close to maximum potential as is.

"take chances, make mistakes, and get messy"
 41yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that heyjme1 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Have a conversation with someone face-to-face. You'll be assured its 8%. Ha ha..really I have no idea either.

""No words""
 34yrs • M •
lol jme. must admit, that made me laugh. sometimes that does seem true

47yrs • F •
(*disco*) is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
quote:
Did some looking around last night and i couldnt find anything about the 95% thing or 8% for that matter soo idk what's goin on with that now hahha I'll keep lookin around though..

Its this easy. Its an urban myth.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

That tired Ten-Percent claim pops up all the time. In 1998, national magazine ads for U.S. Satellite Broadcasting showed a drawing of a brain. Under it was the caption, "You only use 11 percent of its potential." Well, they're a little closer than the ten-percent figure, but still off by about 89 percent. In July 1998, ABC television ran promotional spots for The Secret Lives of Men, one of their offerings for the fall season's lineup. The spot featured a full-screen blurb that read, "Men only use ten percent of their brains."

One reason this myth has endured is that it has been adopted by psychics and other paranormal pushers to explain psychic powers. On more than one occasion I've heard psychics tell their audiences, "We only use ten percent of our minds. If scientists don't know what we do with the other ninety percent, it must be used for psychic powers!" In Reason To Believe: A Practical Guide to Psychic Phenomena, author Michael Clark mentions a man named Craig Karges. Karges charges a lot of money for his "Intuitive Edge" program, designed to develop natural psychic abilities. Clark quotes Karges as saying: "We normally use only 10 to 20 percent of our minds. Think how different your life would be if you could utilize that other 80 to 90 percent known as the subconscious mind."

This is not to say that the 'mind over matter' concept isn't valid, just misinterpreted.

Its easy to control your thoughts and as a result 'create your own reality' via perceptions. If you think about life and what it is, combined with the idea that reality is an illusion, then how you percieve and interpret information on a daily basis will directly affect your reality.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Suess

"located in the illusory domain of psycho-mental existence"
Mind over Matter?
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy