Learn as much as you can, at whatever cost, then give it away for free and ask for nothing in return. - untruth
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

The Mind - Page 3

User Thread
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
to anyone who has any intrest of this thread about feelings/emotions, or anyone that wants to see a really good movie:

Equilibrium staring Dominic Purcell

an excellent movie

36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
equilibrium rules. it is kinda like 1984 meets the matrix, and the result is b-e-a-u-tiful. lol

i love that film

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 36yrs • M •
ferdi is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I wish that it were easier to completely ignore the mind, and live free of it at ALL times, but it is a very difficult task that i have yet to accomplish, and doubt i ever will. But one thing i must say about hte mind, although it has almost only negitive affects on my life, i do enjoy refering to it for entertainment, listening to your mind not as a guide, but for entertaining can atleast give it some use in life, though along with this comes the negative effects i orginally wished to banish. So it creates a loop, of the thought that i like the mind for entertainment, and i despise it for negativity. perhaps thats all that life is, chineese philosophies tell us that history is merely an everlasting loop, repeating its self. perhaps all aspects in life are a loop?...perhaps.

though i have no education that helps me to proveit, i was merely contemplating it because it entertains me, that use of my mind, afterall...all beings strive for entertainment, do they not?

"death is inevitable"
 36yrs • M •
is the mind all negativity? is optimism not also a creation of the mind as much as pessimism?

you cannot ignore the mind, as the mind provides emotion, and our emotional responses to things control a lot of who we are.

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
question:

"all beings strive for entertainment, do they not?"

Yes, we do.. that is a problem.. we can't just sit for an hour and allow ourselves to do nothing.. if we could overcome that bordem then we woud have alot more self control

and i do believe that everything is a loop

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that sleepingwraith is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.

"Life is such sweet sorrow."
[  Edited by sleepingwraith at   ]
 37yrs • M •
meditation is what i've been talking about this whole time....

36yrs • M •
for meditation, the easiest one is just sit nice and comfortably, and count to 21 repeatedly. your mind goes blank, and you can sit there for ages without getting bored. though admitedly the last time i did it i fell asleep, but thats the problem with doing that kinda thing at 2 in the morning.

37yrs • M •
I've just got done watching equilibrum, it was great..

Dominic Purcell wasn't in it tho???

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that lastresort is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
yeah i think there are two versions hence my reasoning in saying "staring Dominic Purcell" so you would get that one... anyway

the point of meditation is not always to have a blank mind.

and to quote equilibrium "without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock ticking"

that is the sole reason we have feeling

37yrs • M •
which would u say is better>?

35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Meditation ultimately leads to the realization that you are not your 'mind', that there is much more to you then your personality

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
The mind, as I was taught, is the word used to describe ALL aspects of thought that makes YOU.

Personality, desire, anticipation, these are all aspects of THE MIND.

As a christian would use a three letter word to describe the creator of the universe, psychologists use a four letter word to describe all that encompasses your mental existence.

So please tell me exactly what you mean when you say, 'you are not you mind' as this seems to ignore that understanding I have that without the mind, you wouldn't be YOU at all.

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
When you were a baby, did you have any personality? Does that mean that you didn't exist then? Your personality only arises as a result of the infulences of the external world. Your name, your face, what you did 5 years ago, what you grieve about, what you are happy about, all these make up your personality. You probably had a entirely different personality ten years ago, does that mean that you are a different person now, does that mean that you are a different entity now?

Yes, ur right, withought the mind, you wouldn't be 'you', that is, you wouldn't define yourself with your personality, you would realize that your 'personality', only makes up a small part of you. I ll be ahppy to answer more queries, which I m sure you must naturally have.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
The Mind - Page 3
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy