Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

Candide by Voltaire

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that kevosworld is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Candide by Voltaire
first off, i am quite exciteded that managment decided to add a book discussion!!! WOOT WOOT!!!! Moving on..

What do u think of voltaire's anti optomistic approach?? How did the story make u react when viewing life? In my opionion, when i finished the book, i looked back and i had to laugh at my life. Its the type of book that allows the reader to reflect and connect. I also love the parodies against religion, goverment, philosophy, science, and love. I love voltair's style; when finished, the way he worte the story does not leave one in a nostolgic pathetic, melencoly attitude.(despit the constant attacks upon western philosophy).

A MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 37yrs • F •
Ripplez is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
I haven't attempted any works by Voltaire because I figured the language would be very sophisticated and rather frustrating to read.. any trouble with that? (i'd like to give it a try, seeing from your post, the book sounds interesting)

36yrs • M •
the read is easy, but to get most of the parodies voltair uses, an acute knowledge of european history is needed plus a brief recap about the philosophies of Voltairs time. Other than that its a fun and easy read, and full of wit and charm.

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
 78yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Jim Colyer is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Was the movie, "Candy," sort of based on this book?

"Jim Colyer wrote Save The Planet."
 36yrs • M •
I heard of it. I think its a movie made in the 60s. I guess i have to watch it to find out. let ya know.

36yrs • M •
maladjust is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
i am a bi fan of this book. voltaire puts enough of his wit and satire into it to make it a truly entertaining book, but it still has a message, basically that the world is not perfect and the sooner we realize that we can begin to to make it better.

"Who was the guy who first looked at a cow and said, "I think I'll drink whatever comes out of these things when I squeeze 'em!"?"
Candide by Voltaire
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy