Love is like fire. When you have it lit, it's warm, and mesmerizing. If you suddenly thrust your hand in it burns. But when the fire's out you are left cold, and wishing for it to come back. - Christina Marie Power (myself)
Captain Cynic Guides
Administrative Contact
Talk Talk
Philosophy Forum
Religion Forum
Psychology Forum
Science & Technology Forum
Politics & Current Events Forum
Health & Wellness Forum
Sexuality & Intimacy Forum
Product Reviews
Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

TIME

User Thread
 36yrs • M •
wrangman is new to Captain Cynic and has less than 15 posts. New members have certain restrictions and must fill in CAPTCHAs to use various parts of the site.
TIME
heres a question i actually just came up with... haven't really thought about it... do all living things experience time like humans do? like how would you describe, say a cat experiences a year for us. Because other animals live life not knowing their life expectancy, not having a system of telling time... im actually gonna think about this... thank you.

"i know who i am"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
not all humans experience time the same way. generally americans view time as very linear, yet others view it as cyclical, or even outwardly expanding... other cultures from the past have had some pretty strange views as well. read up.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 52yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Methuzula is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
There is no such thing in existence as that which we call time. Instead there is only motion.

You have the motion of the earth which shapes our nights and days. But the Sun never ceases to shine, so night and day are merely constructs of human imagination we use to concieve of the distance traveled around the earth on its axis.

Without the motion of the second-hand on your stopwatch from one point to another, how would you calculate a duration of time?

But since everything is in motion all at once, (constantly), a begining and and end again are constructs of our imagination.

Animals may experience the sensation of time if they concieve of themselves as we do.

I however like to think of it this way: Take a tortise, a dog and a human being... each expires after a short time on this Earth; 120, 12 and 60-90 years respectively.

Instead of counting the dog's years "times 7", perhaps we could acknowledge that different lifeforms have different rates of deterioration.

As you know dogs operate at higher body temperatures than humans which could contribute to their speedy demise.

And that different rate of deterioration from species to species is more evidence of different physical conditions than it is of a different experience of time / (motion).

Elephants however have a sense of when they will die as do Whales and other sea creatures.

I on the one hand feel I have lived long, but consider 120 years a good stopping point for me.

"You are affected by 3 generations and you affect 3 generations, and every third generation a major change takes place in the family."
 36yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Cynic-Al is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think that animals must be aware of a beginning and an end of their lives, and the ageing process that occurs between those two points. other than that i agree with methuzual on the point about any measurement of time being a purely human construction

"So Schrodinger's Cat is not only neither dead nor alive, but might also be sexually aroused by elbows and peanut butter?"
 37yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that analytical29 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
animals don't have the wisdom to understand time.. if they did it would be the same to them as it is to us.. sometimes seeming faster cause of a fun situation in which u aren't focusing on the clock, or sometimes slow cause all u do is watch the clock... but dogs for example just go with the flow they dont have plans for the weekend.. they aren't smart enough to percieve a thing like time, that doesnt mean they dont get bored.. just that they dont understand time

""That's only the tip of the iceberg.""
TIME
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy