Stories & Poetry Forum
Art Forum
Movie/TV Reviews
Jokes & Games
Photos, Videos & Music Forum

gods name

User Thread
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gammanova is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
gods name
why is it that religions all believe in god , mostly all religions believe in one god, and they all say he is the creator , giver of life, love,peace , and keeper of heaven, and then we turn around and fight , kill discriminate , cast to hell, and judge all others just because we call god by a different name? do we think that is what will make god happy? isnt it just good enough to say god is the one true god, or, there is only one god! do you think god message , name , ethnicity , or color is the important element in praising him?

"tree of existance from one seed"
 35yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Angel Of Death is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Well I think the trouble arises when the religions use different means to convey in what is essentially the same thing.

"I'll heal ur woundz I'll set u free, I m jesus christ on xtacy"
 35yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that WanderingNobody is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I don't think that just being aware of god is what will make him happy...I mean, he's given us so many things, wouldn't you want to get to know god better, because theres not much we can give back to him? I think that he deserves more then what we give him credit for...thats just what I feel.

"Crap. I lost my watch, now I'm lost in time."
 41yrs • F •
A CTL of 1 means that rancidkitty26 is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
i think that "god" wouldnt be too happy about people killing eachother in his name....it's like humans just have this drive to be "right " all the time,and they go to any lenght to prove themselves, no matter the cost......i belive in god....not one particular god, just god him or her self.....i never argue with other people if their belife in god isnt the same as mine.....it's a very personal belife that shouldnt be forced on other people

"we are the music makers, and we, are the dreamers of dreams"
 46yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that xanadoool is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
Monotheism(One God) is a relatively new religious system compared to polytheism(Many gods). Religious leaders in ancient times understood gods to have their own domains, a ruler for each part of nature, this, of course, came after the worshiping of fire, mountains and the ocean in earlier times.

But with the ever vigilant surge of civilisation throughout the Earth, eventually the idea of many gods was found to be a weakness during the wars of the past few millenia. As believers started to wonder 'who's gods were real'.

Thus Monotheism came into play... If you ain't worshiping 'this' god, you ain't worshiping nobody!

"Always give to the left, coz the right way is the wrong way."
 48yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that gammanova is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
I TRULY BELEIVING IN ONE GOD, I BELEIVE MY GOD IS THE MOST FORGIVING, GIVING, MERCIFUL,LOVING,CARING,UNDERSTANDING,AND GRACIOUS, ENTITY IN EXISTANCE. WHO AM I TO SAY THAT HE WILL TEACH ME, GUIDE ME , STRENGTHEN , AND DISCIPLINE, OR REWARD ME THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE? SO HOW CAN I KNOW HE DOES NOT SEEM DIFFERENT TO SOMEONE WHO IS DIFFERENT THAN I ? THAN WHO AM I TO JUDGE WHO CALLS GOD WHAT NAME? I KNOW WHAT I CALL HIM AND I KNOW HE SEES ALL HEARTS AND KNOWS EVERYONES EVERY INTENTION, SO I LET THE JUDGE DO THE JUDGING AND I WILL KEEP ON SHARIN LOVE!!

"tree of existance from one seed"
 39yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that etherealmeekle is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
quote:
Monotheism(One God) is a relatively new religious system compared to polytheism(Many gods)

The first religion in existence was monotheistic and all other religions are derivatives of that one religion.

"Speak out, even if what you have to say is unpopular"
 40yrs • M •
A CTL of 1 means that Wyote is a contributing member of Captain Cynic.
what is your source on this ether? to my knowledge the earliest cultures were mostly polytheistic. isnt it impossible to know definatively which came first?

it would seem to be that polytheism would create less violence. people would have less of a desire to say that their god was the "best" god or the "correct" god. everyone could just believe in whatever god they wanted and it wouldnt much matter.

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge. - Thomas Carlyle"
 46yrs • M •
The first religion in existence? I'm gonna have to go with Wyote on this.

Firstly, we have no idea as to when religions started.

Secondly, we have no records going back further than 30,000 years. By then, every human community we have records of, had fully developed religious pratices.

Unless, of course, you think the world was created 5000 years ago, like some religions do.

39yrs • M •
Your assessment discounts Judaism and its successor, Christianity.

46yrs • M •
And exactly how long after we left Africa did the human race branch into Arabs and Jews?

Coz the last time I checked, they ain't black.

Wouldn't it be wiser to asume that the religions of Africa are older. As we know there were Africans about 140,000 years ago, but Jews say they've only been here since about 5000 BC.

39yrs • M •
But the God of the Jews existed before there was Judiaism, He had relationships with people before any religions. And besides there is no recorded history beyond 6000 years ago (as a rough estimate)

46yrs • M •
You are a christian I take it? It seems that all of your answers are based on your personal belief that your God has always existed and your religions accounts of history are infalible.

I'm simply saying that if we could go back in time about 100,000 years, we would see simple nomadic humans, that percieve the sun, the moon, perhaps even fire and water as gods.

Even if your God does exist, and conversed with man then, he would not have been the only one being worshiped by these people.

39yrs • M •
If my God exists then He created man and man would have worshipped Him first before they fell to sin.

There is no 100000 years to go back to for some reason there is no record of human activity past about 6000 years ago. Could it be that since there is no evidence that just maybe man didn't actually exist until then?

"In the last six thousand years, man has advanced far more rapidly than he did in the million or more years of his prehistoric existence."- *Louise Eisman and *Charles Tanzer, Biology and Human Progress (1958), p. 509.

"Dates determined by radioactive decay may be off-not only by a few years, but by orders of magnitude.. Man, instead of having walked the earth for 3.6 million years, may have been around for only a few thousand."-*Robert Gannon, "How Old Is It?" Popular Science, November 1979, p. 81.

46yrs • M •
Yes, IF your God exists. You have consistantly retorted along the lines that your religion is the one true religion, that everyone else is just making it all up. This is prideful at best.

As a christian myself, I belive that God is the only god that ever existed. But I don't try to kill secular discussion with religious mantra. No where in the Bible does it say when the universe was created. The 6000 years that you so desperately cling to is nothing more than the assumptions of an 18th century priets, not the Word, not Gospel.

They only mention of dates is in the new testement. The old testement only contains vague references to time passing, and of course, the begotting chapter in Genesis.

I know as fact that there are remains of modern man found in earth that last saw sunlight 140,000 years ago. I know that Australian Aborigonies have occupied their home for 30,000 years. I know that there are remnants of villages and farms in Asia dating back this far as well.

Yes man has progressed rapidly over the past 6000 years, if you compare it to the 6000 that came before it, and that was simply because of the advent of writing.

I must say, it's time for you to start doing a little research on topics you are going to talk about with authority. Otherwise, if you are going to keep a closed mind about what you believe, stay away from secular discussion. There's no point in talking if you're not listening.

gods name
  1    2    3    4  
About Captain Cynic
Common FAQ's
Captain Cynic Guides
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
General Forum Rules
Cynic Trust Levels
Administrative Contact Forum
Registration
Lost Password
General Discussion
Philosophy Forums
Psychology Forums
Health Forums
Quote Submissions
Promotions & Links
 Captain Cynic on Facebook
 Captain Cynic on Twitter
 Captain Cynic RSS Feed
 Daily Tasker
Copyright © 2011 Captain Cynic All Rights Reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy